Transfer window thread .What players do you want to see IN and OUT in the summer transfer window?

Chat about anything football related here!
Watcher

Re: What players do you want to see IN and OUT in the summer transfer window?

Post by Watcher »

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

There goes Kehrer probably our only fully fit decent young CB which says a lot ( though I still think Aguerd showed before joining us he was one ) . Ogbonna is still quality and could probably play on if he had a top partner , but the way things are going thats not going to happen , if ther new Lord of the Manor thinks Cresswell is still capable of pushing Emerson for a starting position .

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Watcher wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:16 am
Think Solanke and Toney will be way out of our price range , especially when the so called war kitty must include the selling off of cetain individuals from the 1st team , who's going to want namby pamby Paqueta ? for the price we rate him at ( is he really what City want ) , and Liverpool will not pay over the odds for Kudus or what Bowen is valued at . So that doesn't really leave a lot in the purse once the likes of Kehrer , Benrahma , Coufal , Aguerd , Soucek , Cornet , Antonia , Ings and Mubama are put out to pasture .And theres still the possiblity we might hang onto the likes of Antonio , Coufal and Soucek to sit on the bench along with Cresswell , and Aguerd could be given another chance along wth Cornet , so the purse strings are looking even tighter now :roll: .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:34 am
Watcher wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:16 am

Think Solanke and Toney will be way out of our price range , especially when the so called war kitty must include the selling off of cetain individuals from the 1st team , who's going to want namby pamby Paqueta ? for the price we rate him at ( is he really what City want ) , and Liverpool will not pay over the odds for Kudus or what Bowen is valued at . So that doesn't really leave a lot in the purse once the likes of Kehrer , Benrahma , Coufal , Aguerd , Soucek , Cornet , Antonia , Ings and Mubama are put out to pasture .And theres still the possiblity we might hang onto the likes of Antonio , Coufal and Soucek to sit on the bench along with Cresswell , and Aguerd could be given another chance along wth Cornet , so the purse strings are looking even tighter now :roll: .
I wouldn't be in a rush to ditch Coufal tbh. Imo in many games last season he has been one of the most consistent outfield performaers. Problem is everyone remembers the game against City when Doku had him on toast. Very few opponents have consistently got the better of him during his time with us. For me the key position is central defence. Given Zouma's ongoing injury issues I honestly think we don't really have any central defenders fit for purpose in the PL. Zouma is likely to break do0wn at any time which is a pity because he has been a bloody good CD, but imo Mavropanos and Aguerd are both accidents waiting to happen.in most games. I'd like to see us make a move for Branthwaiete. Young, home grown and could be cheap-ish because of Everton's dire financial state. I suppose the Kilman links will gather pace because Lopetegui has managed him before. Never really noticed him tbh so don't really have an opinion on him one way or the other. Home grown and only 27 so he ticks those boxes.

I would be inclined to keep Soucek and Mubama. For me, despite his limitations, Soucek is capable of doing a decent job if used correctly. And Mubama I'm reluctant to write off until we've seen him used in a role which uses his strengths. A season out on loan playing regularly in men's football would do him the world of good imo.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in respect of valuations for certain players and I guess now we supposedly have a professional calling the shots in the market, rather than a stumpy little pillock dressed in KGB kit, we will only sell if our price demands are met. Fwiw I'd do my best to keep Johnson, a decent enough squad player who is home grown and versatile enough to do a job in a variety of positions., and Downes whoi I felt showed enough promise in the season he joined us. He should have benefited from his time on the south coast. I'm inclined to go along with your comments about Solanke and Toney. Being home grown their clubs are likely to ask silly money. Both would bring a lot to the club if we could land one of them, my preference would be Toney, but the price may be a problem as you say.

Interesting times ahead.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:19 pm
Clayton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:34 am

I wouldn't be in a rush to ditch Coufal tbh. Imo in many games last season he has been one of the most consistent outfield performaers. Problem is everyone remembers the game against City when Doku had him on toast. Very few opponents have consistently got the better of him during his time with us. For me the key position is central defence. Given Zouma's ongoing injury issues I honestly think we don't really have any central defenders fit for purpose in the PL. Zouma is likely to break do0wn at any time which is a pity because he has been a bloody good CD, but imo Mavropanos and Aguerd are both accidents waiting to happen.in most games. I'd like to see us make a move for Branthwaiete. Young, home grown and could be cheap-ish because of Everton's dire financial state. I suppose the Kilman links will gather pace because Lopetegui has managed him before. Never really noticed him tbh so don't really have an opinion on him one way or the other. Home grown and only 27 so he ticks those boxes.

I would be inclined to keep Soucek and Mubama. For me, despite his limitations, Soucek is capable of doing a decent job if used correctly. And Mubama I'm reluctant to write off until we've seen him used in a role which uses his strengths. A season out on loan playing regularly in men's football would do him the world of good imo.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in respect of valuations for certain players and I guess now we supposedly have a professional calling the shots in the market, rather than a stumpy little pillock dressed in KGB kit, we will only sell if our price demands are met. Fwiw I'd do my best to keep Johnson, a decent enough squad player who is home grown and versatile enough to do a job in a variety of positions., and Downes whoi I felt showed enough promise in the season he joined us. He should have benefited from his time on the south coast. I'm inclined to go along with your comments about Solanke and Toney. Being home grown their clubs are likely to ask silly money. Both would bring a lot to the club if we could land one of them, my preference would be Toney, but the price may be a problem as you say.

Interesting times ahead.
I understand what your saying about Coufal , but not sure he's what we need starting , afterall he'll be another year older , ideal on the bench . I 'm one off those who really don't see where Soucek would fit in under Loppy , I'm not a fan either :shock: , as for Mubama your right he hasn't been used correctly so he may shine out on loan or even under Loppy ..
I like Johnson and another I feel was used incorrectly by Moyes , used as a jack of all trades when he could have been the master in one role ..
Downes has impressed on the south coast , and has come out and said all the right things to try and get a permanent move , though I actually think now is the time to bring him back for the summer and see how he goes preseason under Loppy .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:19 pm

I understand what your saying about Coufal , but not sure he's what we need starting , afterall he'll be another year older , ideal on the bench . I 'm one off those who really don't see where Soucek would fit in under Loppy , I'm not a fan either :shock: , as for Mubama your right he hasn't been used correctly so he may shine out on loan or even under Loppy ..
I like Johnson and another I feel was used incorrectly by Moyes , used as a jack of all trades when he could have been the master in one role ..
Downes has impressed on the south coast , and has come out and said all the right things to try and get a permanent move , though I actually think now is the time to bring him back for the summer and see how he goes preseason under Loppy .
Agree that Soucek has limitations but if Alvarez needed a DM parther and the choice is Soucek or JWP for me it's a no brainer. Downes I think has got more chance of coming back if Saints bomb out in the play offs. If they go up he may feel he's got a regular place in a PL side. And I also agree Johnson was misused by Moyes. But I don't have a problem with the "jack of all trades" footballer, proividing they do a decent job at whatever trade they're given----and usually Johnson does. Imo given that he's home grown, versatile and a decent player it would be crininal to allow him to leave on a free. And if we let him go we would need to go inbto the market to replace him.

What I find very frustrating (Moyes fault again imo) is that we don't know if Cornet could be an answer to the left sided problem. Surely it would make sense to at least have a look, after all we paid good money for him, before writing him off and turning to the market for a replacement. Moyes has a great deal to answer for as regards squad maintenance imo.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:59 pm
Clayton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm

Agree that Soucek has limitations but if Alvarez needed a DM parther and the choice is Soucek or JWP for me it's a no brainer. Downes I think has got more chance of coming back if Saints bomb out in the play offs. If they go up he may feel he's got a regular place in a PL side. And I also agree Johnson was misused by Moyes. But I don't have a problem with the "jack of all trades" footballer, proividing they do a decent job at whatever trade they're given----and usually Johnson does. Imo given that he's home grown, versatile and a decent player it would be crininal to allow him to leave on a free. And if we let him go we would need to go inbto the market to replace him.

What I find very frustrating (Moyes fault again imo) is that we don't know if Cornet could be an answer to the left sided problem. Surely it would make sense to at least have a look, after all we paid good money for him, before writing him off and turning to the market for a replacement. Moyes has a great deal to answer for as regards squad maintenance imo.
Plus it will also depend on what the war kitty is , and how many 1st team starters can be brought in , for me it has to be at least a FW, LW , CB's x 2 x RB , plus on the bench a DM , LB and hope Loppy thinks a couple of youngsters are good enough . By all accounts at the moment prior to any sale of players the kitty is around £60m .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:59 pm

Plus it will also depend on what the war kitty is , and how many 1st team starters can be brought in , for me it has to be at least a FW, LW , CB's x 2 x RB , plus on the bench a DM , LB and hope Loppy thinks a couple of youngsters are good enough . By all accounts at the moment prior to any sale of players the kitty is around £60m .
Sale of players isn't going to rfaise a huge amount imo.. Kehrer apparently has brought in arouind £10 mill, in rounf figures and let's assume Fornals and Benrahma raise around £15 mill. Ignoring the potential money f4om selling Paqueta, I agree with you that is now nhighly doubtful, if we add that to your £60 mill we get £85 m. 2 CDs and 1 striker are an absolute must imo and I would hope the redoubtable Herr Steidten can conjur up those additions for that amount. I would be happyu to persevere with Coufal/Johnson as the RB opotion and if we have to take a look see at Cornet in the LW spot then so be it. Downes would so for me as the addition as a DM. Not ideal but imo an upgrade on what we currently have. I hope, and believe, Lopetegui will see enough talent amongst the better Under 21s to pad out the squad in order to develop a few of the kids.

And if we can get a decent wedge for Aguerd, Saudi is the only optioin where that is likely imo, we can add that money into Steidren's budget.

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

Downes having another excellent game right now, two up and an assist for him for their second goal.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

dagenhamdave wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:42 pm Downes having another excellent game right now, two up and an assist for him for their second goal.
Saw a b it of the game before the Uber arrived to ferry me to the pub. Downes looked very decent. But the team he plays in were pretty average from the bits I saw (first half only). If they go up I would expect them to be next seasons';s Burnley so Downes would be better off coming home imo.