Declan Rice chooses England !!

Chat about anything football related here!
thomasswe

Re: Declan Rice chooses England !!

Post by thomasswe »

Good luck and a great written statement. Don't care about either Ireland or England one bit but I'm always happy for our players to succeed internationally.

England will likely give him more opportunities to play in major tournaments but neither nation will likely provide him with a trophy :P :lol: :D ;)

1985whu

Post by 1985whu »

h69 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:23 pm Well done Declan and good luck !

As an Englishman, I am delighted :D :D :D

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... of-ireland
Can't really get too excited about this other than for the lad personally, I wish him all the best. And as already been said, we'll get more money for him we inevitably sell him to Man Utd or whoever. So that's good.

I see old Kevin Kilbane has already started the bitter tweets-

"If you’re a “proud Englishman” then why play for us in the first place?" he says. What a sad wallop. Why couldn't he just say "Good luck Declan" instead?

jhammers

Post by jhammers »

Kilbane is from Preston ffs :lol:

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

1985whu wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Can't really get too excited about this other than for the lad personally, I wish him all the best. And as already been said, we'll get more money for him we inevitably sell him to Man Utd or whoever. So that's good.

"If you’re a “proud Englishman” then why play for us in the first place?" he says. What a sad wallop. Why couldn't he just say "Good luck Declan" instead?
It's a good point but I don't see it as a snub.On a try-before-you-buy basis,it's a reasonable outcome all round.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm Not Declan's fault of course but just another example of how stupid "international" sport has become. I've always thought your nationality is determined by your country of birth unless there are extenuating circumstances like being born abroad whilst parents were serving in the military.
What he said.
FIFA are trying to load up “smaller” footballing nations with better foreign players through a whole raft of ever more lax entry criteria.
It’s all about the “show”.

As annoyed as some from the green isle may be.... the fact remains that Rice should never have been eligible to play for Ireland in the first place.

Of course this doesn’t only apply to the “smaller” nations...... the bigger teams also are littered with players who’s claims to nationality are lightweight at best.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

1985whu wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Yep.
Kevin “born in England, raised in England, schooled in England, made all his money in England and still makes his money in England” Kilbane.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

No offence, but haven't Ireland spent the last 25 years building teams around English players who were considered not quite good enough to play for England? So it seems a bit rich getting upset over this.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm Not Declan's fault of course but just another example of how stupid "international" sport has become. I've always thought your nationality is determined by your country of birth unless there are extenuating circumstances like being born abroad whilst parents were serving in the military.
Thank god for that, id be chinese otherwise.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

LittleHammerton

Post by LittleHammerton »

My opinion is that it if a player is deemed to have qualified by parentage or ancestry to play for either nation it should be down to the player to have the right to decide which nation he feels it correct, and feels able to give his all for.....I have English and Scottish parentage but have been brought up/lived/worked solely in England therefore consider myself English....I could only play for England...it would not feel right to play for Scotland....only the person concerned can decide for himself.

Leaving aside whatever people think are the rights and wrongs of the situation my first thought was what a quality well thought out, intelligent and balanced statement he released. Perhaps he had help with it but how refreshing to see from a young professional footballer....makes a change from machine gun tattoos on legs etc!!

So far I have to say this appears to be a not only footballer with huge potential but a very impressive young man full of integrity. He should also be applauded for choosing a harder route to regular international football.

If he can realise his potential I can see him becoming a future England captain for many years to come.....well done Declan!

Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

jhammers wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:46 pm Great news.
Also means he is worth even more £ when the inevitable happens and champions league clubs come in for him

whufc_crest
Why would he be worth more