Newport County v West Ham United Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Hammertime

Re: Newport County v West Ham United Official Match Thread

Post by Hammertime »

you have to marvel at the "play a strong side for the cup comps" crowd vs the "can't afford to risk starters against lower clubs" crowd - except its the same fackin crowd!

Agree that Diop is looking like he's taken a step backwards at the beginning of this season, how someone that big is as bad in the air as he is, I'll never know. He's also got to stop jumping in and taking himself out of an attacking move, he did that yesterday while Cresswell was off in the clouds and a better team would've scored!

I was actually impressed with the play of Sanchez, he did have a bit of a spell at the beginning of the 2nd half, giving the ball away in the final 3rd twice, but other than that he controlled the game rather well. Agree that Snods looks past his level even in this game and if not for Pam we might not have gotten out of there with a win. Now we have to hope that Yarma and Fredricks can develop a good rapport on the right side until Antonio comes back. Also wonder if Fornals can play over there as I don't want to lose Lanzini on that side, he's too valuable elsewhere.
#fuckqatar2022

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

So it looks like Oxford then.... :lol: :lol:

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

I think Rice should be given ago alongside Balbuena.

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:11 pm
h69 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Really. I thought we played too much ticky tacky ball on the ground....lots of triangles and not enough direct balls and gave the ball away a few too many times.
Playing on the ground doesn't have to be ticky tacky as you put it. Intelligent movement off the ball is the key. Newport's great lummoxes in defence will deal with aimless high, direct, balls into the area most of the time. It's food and drink to them. I agree we did give the ball away too often, but, imo, that's mainly due to carelessness and ineptitude. Nothing to do with the style of football. Most of our "direct" balls ended up on an opponent's head anyway.
Right but I didnt see too much played up high though. i felt we played too much aimless football on the ground that I thought was to slow.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

So playing Oxford in the next round of the C Cup....I remember nearly 30 years ago...watching us play at Oxford in the league cup and came away.........2-1.......losers....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had a house there at the time and had to return there ....incognito to avoid the inevitable crap ......that didn't work because everyone was pissed up and it was Halloween night....suffered big time for a few weeks...and then to add insult to injury they beat us again later that season. Had to sell the house then couldn't take anymore shit..... :oops: :oops:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:06 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Playing on the ground doesn't have to be ticky tacky as you put it. Intelligent movement off the ball is the key. Newport's great lummoxes in defence will deal with aimless high, direct, balls into the area most of the time. It's food and drink to them. I agree we did give the ball away too often, but, imo, that's mainly due to carelessness and ineptitude. Nothing to do with the style of football. Most of our "direct" balls ended up on an opponent's head anyway.
Right but I didnt see too much played up high though. i felt we played too much aimless football on the ground that I thought was to slow.
I'd agree about the aimless part but would argue most of it happened after we had established our lead, particularly when it became 2-0. Newport were still backing off getting most of their team behind the ball and then lumping it forward in the hope, I guess, that one of our defenders would screw up. At that stage of the game there was little point in doing anything other than playing out time.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Castiron wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:20 pm I think Rice should be given ago alongside Balbuena.
Why ? He is needed in midfield.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Castiron wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:20 pm I think Rice should be given ago alongside Balbuena.
Most are shouting out that we need a DM in as a priority , and you want to put the only decent one we have in defence , would be a strange decision even for Pellegrini .

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Interesting. In preference to Diop or Ogbanna. Which basically means playing Sanchez. I suppose you would add more grit than players that hack and panic when they see a football.

Or you hope that calm and confidence can be restored.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:56 pm
Why ? He is needed in midfield.
Because I think he's a better centre half than a defensive mid. As said, Diop can't head a ball, a pretty important thing if you are a center half.

Geoff's with me https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/14/g ... cmp_open=1