The special one

Chat about anything football related here!
Taansend

Re: The special one

Post by Taansend »

I'd rather Poch than Moanyho but obviously Levy has a plan and stuff must have gotten toxic at Spurs.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 pm
ToneLoc wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:28 am A lazy appointment, just like Pellegrini and it’ll become an expensive mistake.
Mourinho’s definition of a “big club” is how many trillions they hand over to him every transfer window.
He’s the complete antithesis of Tottenham.

In addition, his ego has made him complacent and arrogant.
The game has evolved and he hasn’t kept up.

That’s my take and I fucking hope I’m proven right !!
You may be proved right in time Tone but imo Spurs can now look forward to winning trophies. Maybe not the really meaningful ones like the Champions League or Premier League but I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a serious push for the Europa League next season if they don't make the top 4. Mourinho is a proven winner. His reign at Man United was considered a disaster but in his relatively short time there he won them the Europa League. And he also considers the Mickey Mouse cup a worthwhile trophy so he would no doubt include that on his c.v.

And bet he's been given assurances about a sizeable transfer budget as well.
I really don’t think they’ll win anything.
My money’s on more cobwebs.
Mourinho and Tottenham + Levy? Chalk and cheese.
It’s a relationship I just can’t see lasting.
A proven winner he is but every dog has it’s day and if ever Mourinho is to have his first trophy-less club then it’s most likely to be this lot.
Who says he been given assurances? And what does that mean in real terms? This is Levy we’re talking about here.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer »

I reckon Levy has gambled big time here and it could end up costing him his job

Poor form, bring in a well known winner to shake the club up and qualify for Europe somehow

Hopefully Jose will persuade the likes of Erikksen, Vertonghen etc that the futures rosey and stop them leaving on frees - a year down the line they’ll get a fee for them because of the new contracts

BUT if that doesn’t happen and they all go in the summer, he’s going to have to spend north of £500m knowing Jose, as he’ll have to replace the best part of half a starting eleven and then bring the players in that Jose actually wants to add

Could go completely tits up

LondonWelsh

Post by LondonWelsh »

The timing of Mourniho's appointment is key. Daniel Levy wouldn't of been able to sack Poch on the back of convincing away win on Saturday.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

LondonWelsh wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:03 pm The timing of Mourniho's appointment is key. Daniel Levy wouldn't of been able to sack Poch on the back of convincing away win on Saturday.
Which actually shows the power Mourinho still enjoys. To extend the negotiations into the second week - when Levy probably wanted it all concluded before the first England game - allows him the leverage to get all his markers in place and engineer the conditions that he expects to be available on arrival.

Towie

Post by Towie »

He has gone from “the special one” to “the Kosher one”.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

ToneLoc wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:26 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 pm

You may be proved right in time Tone but imo Spurs can now look forward to winning trophies. Maybe not the really meaningful ones like the Champions League or Premier League but I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a serious push for the Europa League next season if they don't make the top 4. Mourinho is a proven winner. His reign at Man United was considered a disaster but in his relatively short time there he won them the Europa League. And he also considers the Mickey Mouse cup a worthwhile trophy so he would no doubt include that on his c.v.

And bet he's been given assurances about a sizeable transfer budget as well.
I really don’t think they’ll win anything.
My money’s on more cobwebs.
Mourinho and Tottenham + Levy? Chalk and cheese.
It’s a relationship I just can’t see lasting.
A proven winner he is but every dog has it’s day and if ever Mourinho is to have his first trophy-less club then it’s most likely to be this lot.
Who says he been given assurances? And what does that mean in real terms? This is Levy we’re talking about here.
We'll have to wait and see. But I'd be very surprised if someone with an ego as big as Mourinho's did not demand a substantial budget. Let's face it he's always had substantial backing in huis previous posts. As for what it means in real terms I agree Levy and Mourinho is a potentially combustible combination. But they are both very successful at what they do and I'd be surprised if they are not both very well aware of the problems they could potentially cause each other.

I certainly can't see Spurs reaching another CL final, nor can I see them winning the CL, but imo this appointment pretty much guarantees them top 4. They should qualify for the knockout stages of the CL so won't get a crack at the Europa League but they've suddenly become a very good bet for the consolation prize of the F A Cup. Mourinho will be desperate to put a trophy in the cabinet which pretty much guarantees Spurs will be one of the few clubs taking the early rounds of that very seriously indeed.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

I'm disappointed it was not a week later.

Sadly they will now probably win the FA cup and tie up one of those in top 6 places.

Positive is the ridiculous dreams of him coming here can be put to bed.

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

It will end in tears as it always does...a short time and he'll be back to his usual self...upsetting everybody, other managers etc...and as always he will walk off into the sunset tens of millions richer with a big "I couldnt give a fuck" grin on his face...

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Personally I hope it all goes to bollocks, starting with Saturday of course.
After that, I'm hoping for the world's biggest sinkhole to engulf their stadium an outbreak of typhoid to hit their team, mole infestation at their training ground, the team bus to catch fire, mourinho to catch the clap and deli Ali to be scalped.
Apart from all that, I wish them godspeed.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.