Racial Bias in Football Commentary

Chat about anything football related here!
andyginbrasil

Re: Racial Bias in Football Commentary

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm
It's odd he never shifted his starting position slightly to compensate. He was often beaten by only a finger length, any way. Just seems a bit obvious but I'm no goalkeeper
Possibly because so many people were up his arse telling him how good he was that he believed them.
:lol: :lol: ....just been released again by Burnley......he hasn't played in a PL match now for the last 48 games......not so many people up his arse now as reality sinks in.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am REALLY. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Are they taking the piss?What a load of old shit!

Maybe the PFA might look into the over noshing of Raheem Sterling.The most over hyped Footballer in this country by a long way.

WHAT EVER NEXT!!!
Disagree with that assessment Terry, but you've given me an idea. Here's my team of the most over rated players in the league. Apologies for the outdated formation but imo they are standouts and they fir in nicely. Although I had to resist finding a spot for Grealish.

Henderson; Walker Gomez Maguire Shaw; Maddison Winks Barkley James; Rashford Wilson

The James is the little Welsh tart at Man United and the Wilson is Calum. I would say the rest are self explanatory. Over to you. ;)
I won't disagree about the English players being over hyped by some of the commentators,but aren't Sterling and Rashford apart of that equation?

It seems a few at the big clubs are over rated tbh.

I thinking we should also do a team with the most under rated players in the PL..I would put James Milner in that equation.

The most underrated player EVER has to be Matt Le Tissier..If he had a bit more of a work ethic,he could have been up with the very best in the world.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Possibly because so many people were up his arse telling him how good he was that he believed them.
:lol: :lol: ....just been released again by Burnley......he hasn't played in a PL match now for the last 48 games......not so many people up his arse now as reality sinks in.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Until Heaton left for Villa he was their third choice. That will be a pub quiz question in years to come. Which Premier League club had three England international keepers on their books in 2019/20.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Disagree with that assessment Terry, but you've given me an idea. Here's my team of the most over rated players in the league. Apologies for the outdated formation but imo they are standouts and they fir in nicely. Although I had to resist finding a spot for Grealish.

Henderson; Walker Gomez Maguire Shaw; Maddison Winks Barkley James; Rashford Wilson

The James is the little Welsh tart at Man United and the Wilson is Calum. I would say the rest are self explanatory. Over to you. ;)
I won't disagree about the English players being over hyped by some of the commentators,but aren't Sterling and Rashford apart of that equation?

It seems a few at the big clubs are over rated tbh.

I thinking we should also do a team with the most under rated players in the PL..I would put James Milner in that equation.

The most underrated player EVER has to be Matt Le Tissier..If he had a bit more of a work ethic,he could have been up with the very best in the world.
Don';t think Le Tiss was under rated mate. Someone like Guardiola would have had him down first on the teamsheet imo. Just that the England managers at the time wanted clenched fist, chest pounding, hard running workhorses rather than players with flair.

And a successful policy that was, wasn't it. :lol:

Under rated players for me, can't be arsed to work a team out, are Nemanja Matic, Fred & McTominay, all at Man U and all holding midfielders oddly enough. And I can't understand why Maguire keeps getting picked ahead of Eric Bailly, who I rate big time. Might be something to do with the fee paid for him I suspect. Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcus Alonso at Chelsea are possibly the best wing back pairing in the league imo. Jimenez at Wolves is another who comes to mind. But the first name on my shopping list if I was the manager at West Ham would be Matteo Guendouzi who looks as if he's going to be kicked out of Arsenal.

But I doubt if he fancies the championship so we'd better move on. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am Hmmm black players powerful ,speed kings athletic ability obviously haven’t watched Haller or Anderson mincing around.
or Marlene Harewood, hed trip over a blade of grass if it was sticking up further than the rest of them !...

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

I thought this was a joke.
People just need to stop over analysing everything.
Surely If descriptive attributes are stereotypical there should be myriad examples of incorrect attributions?
Oh look, they described Adama Traore as fast and powerful when he, um, is both of those things. Ah, but Dmitri Payet is described as intelligent and skilful because his skin is lighter. It really doesn't matter it's entirely accurate too.
Seriously, show me examples, because any examples, not 'studies', are the evidence and proof.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Neville Bartos wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm I thought this was a joke.
People just need to stop over analysing everything.
Surely If descriptive attributes are stereotypical there should be myriad examples of incorrect attributions?
Oh look, they described Adama Traore as fast and powerful when he, um, is both of those things. Ah, but Dmitri Payet is described as intelligent and skilful because his skin is lighter. It really doesn't matter it's entirely accurate too.
Seriously, show me examples, because any examples, not 'studies', are the evidence and proof.
Fucking right Nev this is utter tripe .

There’s an old Jamaican fella I work with and he’s neither fast nor powerful .

And there’s also an English (indigenous) teenager close by but he is neither intelligent nor skillful at what he does.

Runs for Newham and Essex Beagles though...
Bring back Jonathon !

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Don';t think Le Tiss was under rated mate. Someone like Guardiola would have had him down first on the teamsheet imo. Just that the England managers at the time wanted clenched fist, chest pounding, hard running workhorses rather than players with flair.

If you have sky this is worth a watch (Gary Neville Soccerbox Matt Le Tiss episode)

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/ ... /episode-4

He turned down Spurs because he was more than happy living his childhood dream playing for Southampton. Some of the goals he scored were amazing.

Le Tissier and the like all missed out because we had managers like Howard Wilkinson in the FA telling everyone we would conquer the world with long ball shit and we didn't need a midfield