RIP Jack Charlton

Chat about anything football related here!
andyginbrasil

Re: RIP Jack Charlton

Post by andyginbrasil »

eastcoastclaret wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:45 am Sad day for English football. :(

I liked Jack, no nonsense player who could play dirty if he had to, mind you they were all dirty in that Leeds side back in the day...

I used to watch a programme, I think it was on a Saturday morning which had Jack coaching school kids on pitch. He did drills and set piece plays etc. Can’t for the life of me remember what it was called but I always watched it when it was on....
Was it something like Play Football Jacks Way or something, and you can't forget his Go Fishing show as well....

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:41 pm Only Hurst and Jacks brother left now from our glory day I think

RIP Jack.
Nobby Stiles?

I think from the '66 squad, George Eastham, Ian Callaghan, Terry Paine, Ron Flowers and of course Greavsie are all still alive.
Your correct sir ,Nobbys still knocking about but in a bad way I hear.
Was talking about the actual winning team not the squad.

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:29 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Nobby Stiles?

I think from the '66 squad, George Eastham, Ian Callaghan, Terry Paine, Ron Flowers and of course Greavsie are all still alive.
Your correct sir ,Nobbys still knocking about but in a bad way I hear.
Was talking about the actual winning team not the squad.
Roger Hunt, always the forgotten man is still alive, I believe.

Jack was a real hard bugger, but there were lots of players in that Leeds team that were nasty little shits, like Alan Clarke and Johnny Giles. Thing that surprised me most was how many goals he scored for Leeds; over 90 apparently, which is a hell of a lot for a guy who didn't take pens!

deanox

Post by deanox »

RIP jack,

Not sure how he would get on with the pansies that dive around today....What am I saying I'm pretty sure I do know how he would react :lol: :lol:
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

R I P big Jack.
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Just had a bit of a montage, I think its called, on our local tv channel. Stood behind the sofa and raised my arms as geoff scored the last goal in 66 and again as big Jack walked alongside Bobby M with jules in his hand. Teared up, soppy cunt.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Hurst, Hunt, Bobby Charlton, Stiles and George Cohen are still with us from the 1966 starting X1.

As the years pass we will remember them.

I saw the short tribute to Jack on MOTD. It also offered me some good memories of what our national game used to be like before the days of vast sums of money and political correctness.

So thanks to the Beeb. One of the few decent things they've done of late.

As for Jack. Many years ago I was on a train from London and Jack was on it, also like me getting off at East Croydon. I thought of going up to him and saying hello. As many people have done with other public figures only to be told in no uncertain terms to do one.

But Jack would have been happy to have a chat I'm sure.

He was clearly that sort of bloke. And the world of football will miss him.

xxx

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

palerider wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:08 am Hurst, Hunt, Bobby Charlton, Stiles and George Cohen are still with us from the 1966 starting X1.

As the years pass we will remember them.

I saw the short tribute to Jack on MOTD. It also offered me some good memories of what our national game used to be like before the days of vast sums of money and political correctness.

So thanks to the Beeb. One of the few decent things they've done of late.

As for Jack. Many years ago I was on a train from London and Jack was on it, also like me getting off at East Croydon. I thought of going up to him and saying hello. As many people have done with other public figures only to be told in no uncertain terms to do one.

But Jack would have been happy to have a chat I'm sure.

He was clearly that sort of bloke. And the world of football will miss him.

xxx
You would know if he wanted to chat if he pulled out "the book" and asked for your name. :)
The way the game was played then, a great player and one of 11 match day players who will always be etched in history.