Jarrod Bowen

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: Jarrod Bowen

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:26 am
Clayton wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Though I am not a fan of Antonio as a striker ( just do not think he can get us the goals consistently ) his work rate , power and pace are what worries opponents ( I see that now ) . What was going to make the difference in our attack was how well the fullbacks could get down the line , and how well Fornals , Bowen and Soucek could get into attacking areas to support him . That happened yesterday against Wolves , we don't actually need Antonio to be scoring the goals if those around him can .
I'm always amazed at how players are valued. Imo Antonio is very limited technically but he's as stroing as an ox and if I was a central defender I'd hate to play against the bloke. Even his un[predictability can be an asset. After all how can a defender expect to know what he's going to do when he probably doesn't even know himself.

But back to values. Antonio is limited but, imo, offers so much to the team in his current role. He offers a hell of a lot more than the last limited lump, Andy Carroll, we had up front. Yet Carroll was valued, at what is laughably called his peak, in tens of millions whilst Antonio would probably fetch what in today's market ? Even £10 million would be seen as an optimistic ask for him.

It's the same with Rice. I know they play in different positions but if Harry Maguire is worth £70 million what should Rice be valued at ? Don't get it at all tbh.
Moyes deliberately used Antonio on Coady the other night and it worked a treat. The Wolves fans all seem to suggest Coady has an issue with strong direct forwards. I agree though, he can be unplayable when he runs at a defender and draws a shed load of fouls and gives the rest of the team space.

I think you have to take into account a lot of things when a transfer value is set. It is rarely arbitrary and even skill and value to a team are both subjective and also will be different depending on the buying teams needs. I guess the following come into account :

Who wants to break the contract at the club selling ? - if it is the player then he can be sold for less but he gets much less; if it is the club then the player is entitled to all (or more realistically a good part of his wages for the rest of the contract) and the selling club almost always tries to factor this into his fee.

Contract Remaining - If a player is on a long expensive contract he will be far more expensive than a player on a short one (see above)

Age and potential - A young player with bags of potential to play at the top level is more valuable than an older player

Buying club's need - A buying club desperately needs a position, the selling clubs valuation may go up

Selling clubs need - A club needing to sell (like Arsenal at the moment) because they have too many non-homegrown players will have the players value reduced. Not sure how Arsenal let it come to that.

Nationality - An English player is far more likely to be valued higher than any other because of the cap on foreign players.

Wages - If a player is on a giant wage then sometimes it is better to sell cheap to get him off the books especially if the buying club have to pay that kind of wage to him. Often they will pay less transfer fee if the wages are higher.

Fucking crazy system in my opinion but far more likely to be driven by economics of supply and demand than ever about the skill of a player.

JayK

Post by JayK »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:05 am
JayK wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pm

You boys are right. Imagine if Antonio played on the left with a proper goalscorer up top. That could be the winning combo
Yeah but I think Terry is right though. Antonio up front seems to mean he gets injured less. His build means the constant wing play wears him down.
Yeah good point made. But then we rely on goals from our wingers when we have a ready made striker in the squad. Still screams of a 2 up top scenario don't it
COYI!!!

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

JayK wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pm

You boys are right. Imagine if Antonio played on the left with a proper goalscorer up top. That could be the winning combo
Yeah but I think Terry is right though. Antonio up front seems to mean he gets injured less. His build means the constant wing play wears him down.
Could have a valid point , Antonio does appear to injury free while playing up front .

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

Clayton wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:40 am

Could have a valid point , Antonio does appear to injury free while playing up front .
Anyone else heard Antonio is out for the season ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Surely needs a bump this one :lol:

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Can’t fault his work rate and seems to have found his eye for goal back.

Well done lad.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Did someone say that Bowen was shit!?!

Another tireless performance by the lad today.

At this rate he looks to have been an absolute bargain.
Flairon

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Flairon wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:56 pm Did someone say that Bowen was shit!?!

Another tireless performance by the lad today.

At this rate he looks to have been an absolute bargain.
Both Bowen and Antonio got 5 goals together so far and hope both to be the next Cottee/McAvennie partner as long as both stay fit.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Post by 9898 »

9898 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:59 pm Tubby, chumpionship monster extraordinaire.
Looks more Chumpionship every week.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

Towie

Post by Towie »

9898 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am
9898 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:59 pm Tubby, chumpionship monster extraordinaire.
Looks more Chumpionship every week.
Oh dear.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.