Sullivan on TalkShite....

Chat about anything football related here!
hd1

Re: Sullivan on TalkShite....

Post by hd1 »

ToneLoc wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 am Are the current custodians of our club doing a good job?
Yes?
No?
Purely binary.

What's your answer mate?
To answer your question, no of course not. If you're trying to call me out as a G&S supporter then you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm more than happy to slag them off for their mistakes, but I won't get hysterical like some and blame them for the change in colour to Doris the tea ladies apron.

That's not what this debate is about though. It is about whether they are spending an adequate amount of money in unprecedented times and when put into context of the majorityof other PL clubs we're pretty much the same, and could possibly spend substantially more.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

hd1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 am
ToneLoc wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 am Are the current custodians of our club doing a good job?
Yes?
No?
Purely binary.

What's your answer mate?
To answer your question, no of course not. If you're trying to call me out as a G&S supporter then you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm more than happy to slag them off for their mistakes, but I won't get hysterical like some and blame them for the change in colour to Doris the tea ladies apron.

That's not what this debate is about though. It is about whether they are spending an adequate amount of money in unprecedented times and when put into context of the majorityof other PL clubs we're pretty much the same, and could possibly spend substantially more.
What colour is Doris’s apron now then ?

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Yes?
No?
Purely binary.

What's your answer mate?

Not trying to call out anyone mate.
And, for the record, I have no problem with West Ham fans who have opinions in the direction of “pro-board”. We live in a democracy and I actually dislike the modern-day, social-media driven angry mob culture to be honest.
I’m genuinely interested in reading your answers but just couldn’t work out your general position such can be the prolonged nature of these types of discussions.

On this particular thread...... you say “that’s what this debate is about”....... (i.e what they’re spending)...... have you asked everyone else is that’s what this debate is about?
Reading other people’s posts it reads to me there’s a more general axe to grind on this thread and most of the others related to GSB.

There has to be context in every discussion. The fact that they’re utterly useless at running a football club, they’re two-bob spin doctors as well as (allegedly) voracious profiteers refusing to invest money has to be considered when discussing just one of those points.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

palerider

Post by palerider »

A good friend of mine, a ST holder along with his two daughters and sister, is pro-board, or at least not anti-board.

But even he's been very quiet on the subject of late.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

palerider wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:33 am A good friend of mine, a ST holder along with his two daughters and sister, is pro-board, or at least not anti-board.

But even he's been very quiet on the subject of late.
It seems a lot of moderates are turning as well Al.
I have family members who are extremely placid in such matters but even they now truly have the “right ‘ump” with GSB.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

IABATAC

Post by IABATAC »

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Yes?
No?
Purely binary.

What's your answer mate?

But is the debate purely about whether or not adequate money is being spent.? Isn't it more about the dwarf's apparent inability to acknowledge that the current situation is not exclusive to West Ham. I've always taken the view that Sullivan owns the club and is therefore entitled to spend the money the business generates as he sees fit. However surely it is disingenuous for him , when he is questioned about the lack of investment in the playing staff, to blame the club's poverty wholly on the Covid 19 situation. Every club in the country, and abroad for that matter, has been affected by lack of match day income and, of course, associated spending on match days.

If indeed, as he claims, the club is unable to compete in the transfer market people are entitled to question the economic competence of a board of directors which has run the shop for over 10 years. Football fans worldwide will never accept the club they support are spending "adequate" sums of money if they are not competing for league championships or European places. That has always been the case and always will. We are, as a collective, a group of whingers when things aren't going well, whatever team we support. But the current debate about the owners goes , at least imo, far beyond the normal moaning and groaning.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

It`s about how the whole club has been run in general,not just the transfer business.

There are so many different things that the fans are not happy about.No club is perfect.Other fans moan about their club,but I think we have more reason to be unhappy than others.They have been here over 10 years,while at the likes of Wolves and Leicester,they have been there half that time and you can see what has been achieved with a decent infrastructure.Something that we lack with them at the helm.

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

West Ham are the 18th richest football club in the world (Deloitte)

West Ham are the 7th richest club in England (Deloitte)

Based on this, our average performance over many years should be around this level, 7th plus or minus a few. Of course there will be ups and downs but on average. Just to say there have never been anything better than 7th in the 10 years so no ups really.

Our average league finish under these plums is 14th over their 10 full seasons

This consistent under performance, below par, is down to only one constant in that time (Mark Noble doesn't count :-) ).

1 person sets the strategy, 1 person picks the managers, 1 person employess the staff, 1 person invests in the infrastructure, 1 person determines the finances and 1 person is responsible for the consistent under performance.

They are not to blame for every little thing - they are to blame for one big overall thing.

The massive under achievement of this club to even achieve its level in the game - forget progress - they can't even achieve average.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

only1salty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 am West Ham are the 18th richest football club in the world (Deloitte)

West Ham are the 7th richest club in England (Deloitte)

Based on this, our average performance over many years should be around this level, 7th plus or minus a few. Of course there will be ups and downs but on average. Just to say there have never been anything better than 7th in the 10 years so no ups really.

Our average league finish under these plums is 14th over their 10 full seasons

This consistent under performance, below par, is down to only one constant in that time (Mark Noble doesn't count :-) ).

1 person sets the strategy, 1 person picks the managers, 1 person employess the staff, 1 person invests in the infrastructure, 1 person determines the finances and 1 person is responsible for the consistent under performance.

They are not to blame for every little thing - they are to blame for one big overall thing.

The massive under achievement of this club to even achieve its level in the game - forget progress - they can't even achieve average.
goodpost:)

Summed up perfectly.