Spuds game substitutions

Chat about anything football related here!

Was it a Moyes tactical masterstroke or did he get lucky ?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Moyes tactical masterclass , all hail the messiah .
56%
He got lucky , was saving Antonio Et al for another day
44%

Total votes: 16

Whiskyman

Re: Spuds game substitutions

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:34 am If you look at the scrum-down after Lanzini's goal, which included the players on the sidelines, Antonio had his thigh bandaged. So it's quite possible that's why he came off. As for him being owned by the Spuds defenders, I didn't watch the match as Sky no longer get my hard-earned for their service. Whether that was because he was feeling an injury or not, who knows ? But even Messi is anonymous for the odd game.

But IF he's a doubt now, and with Haller's mysterious absence from the bench not mentioned, let's hope the Messiah can forge a partnership with Bowen and Benny-boy.
If you've learned nothing from this forum surely you must at least know by now you don't have to pay Sky or Virgin to watch games. For my sins I still pay for the subscription service, Mrs W is a law abiding soul and she wouldn't want me doing anything that might besmirch the family name at her coffee mornings,, but I did watch, for reasons I can't even explain myself, the last 20 minutes of West Brom v Burnley last night. I am of course assuming the wonderful invention of electricity has reached the darkest recesses of the cider county. ;)

But before anyone asks no I didn't fucking pay for it. In fact from what I saw I wouldn't even have watched the 90 minutes if the bloody PL paid me.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:37 pm
Newmarket wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm Moyes tactical masterstroke or was he arsehole lucky when he was merely saving Antonio etc for next week ?

Poll ‘s above ;)
Guess we will never know what went through the Moyesiah's mind. But I mentioned on another thread I'd like to have seen Yarmolenko brought on a bit earlier as Antonio was totally owned by the Spurs CDs yesterday.

But as Shakespeare said All's Well That Ends Well ;)
And thats the crux of the matter, not a case of being lucky or a master tatician, any fool could see he was having no effect.

EDIT. You could come up with numerous reasons, but in reality he got a knock and with the result as it stood he needed to come off and something to change. The question is? Was the knock fortuitous and forced Moyes hand. As Whiskey said, we will never really know, and what does it really matter other than giving us something to debate and a reason to look to criticize. That decision 10 mins earlier could have given a different outcome, 10 mins later also. Put it down to divine intervention.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

Should have done it 10 mins earlier. Cost us 2 pts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm Moyes tactical masterstroke or was he arsehole lucky when he was merely saving Antonio etc for next week ?

Poll ‘s above ;)
Guess we will never know what went through the Moyesiah's mind. But I mentioned on another thread I'd like to have seen Yarmolenko brought on a bit earlier as Antonio was totally owned by the Spurs CDs yesterday.

"Antonio was totally owned by the Spurs CDs yesterday". Good managers soon work you out.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

We’d happily shit on him, whether it was his fault or not.

Give the man an ounce of credit, whether he was lucky or not.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I think Shakespeare also said 'Up yours you skinless cunts'.

Or that may have been Wordsworth.

h69

Post by h69 »

palerider wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:34 am If you look at the scrum-down after Lanzini's goal, which included the players on the sidelines, Antonio had his thigh bandaged. So it's quite possible that's why he came off. As for him being owned by the Spuds defenders, I didn't watch the match as Sky no longer get my hard-earned for their service. Whether that was because he was feeling an injury or not, who knows ? But even Messi is anonymous for the odd game.

But IF he's a doubt now, and with Haller's mysterious absence from the bench not mentioned, let's hope the Messiah can forge a partnership with Bowen and Benny-boy.
Haller had a slight knock and Antonio's hamstring went tight so they brought him off as a precaution.

Its true though that the Spurs team doubled up on Antonio so he didnt have a sniff. Also true that Bowen would have scored had Sanchez not intervened.....he should have hooked the ball out rather than try to head it but it is easy for me to say.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Shortshanks wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:33 am

"Antonio was totally owned by the Spurs CDs yesterday". Good managers soon work you out.
Do good managers take off one of their best attacking players and throw away a 3 goal lead with 20 minutes to go.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Did well with Sub as Yarmolenko made the difference and he could replace Masuaku but whether Yarmolenko can do on left side will remain to be seen.

Lanzini was superb as he knows that long term injury affect his performance but that didn't stop him and glad he remembered what Pedro Obiang did as we need a magic goal to upset the other team apple cart. Well played. Hope he will be back to his best but a long way as long term injuries always affect their career, like Alan Devonshire who was over 1 year out injured from that awful Wigan's ground, West Ham were 3rd and only 5 points from top and had Devonshire not got injured, West Ham could, perhaps win the First Division in 1983-84 as Liverpool won on 80 points, the lowest in 42 games format as West Ham slumped from end of January to eventually finished 9th, 20 points from top.

Hope we will not have any long term injuries and hope our players stay injury-free for long period this season especially Defensive Midfielder side as only Soucek and Rice which is stronghold of our squad and if one of them injured and Noble come to replace, the squad will be wobbly as it shown against Leicester which the goal he conceded was offside and got lucky.

Need to get 1 defensive midfielder ready for the January transfer is top priority.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

3-0 down 12/13 left...Substitutions like that aren't tactical,more for a run out...get someone off whos got a knock (Micky)
Pot luck what happens might nick one, might concede another...there's no real time for a player to have an effect...
But yesterday was fuck all he could do....3 down ten in,and we start playing really well..the better team..
what can you change if you're on top and pressing...

But if that was Pep or Klomp done similar...according to Line Acre and his mates they would be tactical geniuses...but as
it's only Moyes.... he aint...

Like Bill just said on Gonzos Vid......The Moaner screwed up...bringing Bale on when they were under it.....should
have tightened the MF up that we were controlling...

The 60 min subs when you're a goal down...or a couple up and under the cosh, are were the tactics come in...
there's time for a player to get into the game and have an affect on it...so far IMO the one area he is maybe lacking in..
(Oh and the Everton Fuck Up.... :lol: )
but long as we're winning,playing well..I'll shut up...he's the boss..