The januaru striker thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: The januaru striker thread

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 am
Clayton wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 am Whoever it is Moysie brings in , if anyone , he has to be clinical in front of goal , this someone has to be able to convert the chances the team are providing .
Though the likes of Lanzini , Bowen , Fornals and Benrahma could actually help out a little , though all have had their chances and they have fluffed them , lets hope they can turn chances into goals sooner rather than later .
Clinical strikers, the mythical 15-20 goal a season type, are out of our price range I'm afraid.

I'm a big fan of Fornals but a player who gets into the positions he does should be making better use of the chances that come his way. Bowen is another player I have a lot of time for but he is another whose finishing lets him down. But I suppose if they were both better finishers we wouldn't have got them for the prices we paid. Catch 22. Lanzini has never really been a prolific scorer and Benrahma isn't filling me with confidence at the moment but, imo, had his best game for us on Saturday so maybe there's something there ready to come out.

I would have liked us to try and bring in Jovic on loan. He's gone back to Frankfurt until the end of the season and scored 2 goals of the highest quality against Schalke at the weekend after coming off the bench. I know Bowen & Soucek were both January signings but imo they are the exception to the rule. January normally spells panic and I'd hate to see some washed up Championship player (Josh King anyone ?) arriving purely to add numbers, rather than quality, to the squad.

Let's be honest we're not going to win anything and another 3 wins should make us mathematically safe from the drop so if we can't get anyone in permanently who's "young & hungry" let's have a look at what we've got, starting at Doncaster on Saturday, and see if any of them are ready to step up to the plate. Then do the transfer deals in the proper transfer window in summer.
The right time to get Jovic woulda been when we had Haller. That boat never even set sail though unfortunately and we don’t play 2 up top. Maybe that’s why we got a new director in, for the 2 up top 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I don’t know anything about international teams, we just need one who can play up top on his own coz we all know he won’t get a strike partner
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

JayK wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 am

Clinical strikers, the mythical 15-20 goal a season type, are out of our price range I'm afraid.

I'm a big fan of Fornals but a player who gets into the positions he does should be making better use of the chances that come his way. Bowen is another player I have a lot of time for but he is another whose finishing lets him down. But I suppose if they were both better finishers we wouldn't have got them for the prices we paid. Catch 22. Lanzini has never really been a prolific scorer and Benrahma isn't filling me with confidence at the moment but, imo, had his best game for us on Saturday so maybe there's something there ready to come out.

I would have liked us to try and bring in Jovic on loan. He's gone back to Frankfurt until the end of the season and scored 2 goals of the highest quality against Schalke at the weekend after coming off the bench. I know Bowen & Soucek were both January signings but imo they are the exception to the rule. January normally spells panic and I'd hate to see some washed up Championship player (Josh King anyone ?) arriving purely to add numbers, rather than quality, to the squad.

Let's be honest we're not going to win anything and another 3 wins should make us mathematically safe from the drop so if we can't get anyone in permanently who's "young & hungry" let's have a look at what we've got, starting at Doncaster on Saturday, and see if any of them are ready to step up to the plate. Then do the transfer deals in the proper transfer window in summer.
The right time to get Jovic woulda been when we had Haller. That boat never even set sail though unfortunately and we don’t play 2 up top. Maybe that’s why we got a new director in, for the 2 up top 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I don’t know anything about international teams, we just need one who can play up top on his own coz we all know he won’t get a strike partner
Whilst I completely agree the best thing would have been to sign the pairing there was never a cat in hell's chanve that was ever going to happen. Jovic was on the radar of Real Madrid. Real Madrid or West Ham, his agent would have asked, even if we had been able to pass enough buckets round to raise the 60 million or so Euros needed for his signature.

I think we all know what his answer would have been. He'll be back at Real again one day imo, just bad timing for him that he joined as Benzema was coming back into form. But a loan deal would have been good for us. And I think for him as well.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:38 pm
JayK wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am

Whilst I completely agree the best thing would have been to sign the pairing there was never a cat in hell's chanve that was ever going to happen. Jovic was on the radar of Real Madrid. Real Madrid or West Ham, his agent would have asked, even if we had been able to pass enough buckets round to raise the 60 million or so Euros needed for his signature.

I think we all know what his answer would have been. He'll be back at Real again one day imo, just bad timing for him that he joined as Benzema was coming back into form. But a loan deal would have been good for us. And I think for him as well.
Yeah I never thought he woulda chosen us over Real but when he was made available for loan in the summer window by Real he may have been an option. But as we know, Moyes would never have played him with Haller anyway coz that’s 1 too many strikers. I guess the question is, had we loaned him, would he have been capable of performing that lone striker role?
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

JayK wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Yeah I never thought he woulda chosen us over Real but when he was made available for loan in the summer window by Real he may have been an option. But as we know, Moyes would never have played him with Haller anyway coz that’s 1 too many strikers. I guess the question is, had we loaned him, would he have been capable of performing that lone striker role?
Imo yes. It's no secret our first choice was Maxi Gomez but when that deal went south instead of looking for a player similar to Gomez in style we went for Haller. Jovic is much more suited to the sort of "spearhead" role, which is why he hasn't been able to breakthrough at Real. Because Benzema is still doing very well for them.

garnett

Post by garnett »

palerider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:53 am
garnett wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:48 am 3 some would say "must win games" in quick succession, clearly our striker "problem" isn`t a problem at all.
Really ?

Do you think Antonio will now successfully get through every game from now until the end of the season ?

The young lad on the bench is a talent for sure but chucking him off the deep end would be a step too far. Giving him minutes here and there is the way forward. And Yarmalenko is not a proper striker either.

The Messiah said yesterday that West Ham had made 'big' offers for forwards that had been rejected. I assume he means Nketiah, possibly the Serb sulk too. But as for Boulaye Dia, who many think is odds on to join, he also said we may have to look at a loan deal.

Well Bugsy old son, we already have the maximum of two. About a month ago the idea of sending Craig Dawson back unopened wasn't a stupid plan but it is now. So unless we send back Benrahma (and I'm not sure we can anyway), who's starting to understand his role and is playing well, that option is off the table.

And last week Moyes declared his admiration in the way Pep used a false nine. It works for them. But if for one moment he was thinking West Ham could be potent doing the same, I'd like to remind him that De Bruyne, Foden, Gundogan, Mahrez and Bernardo Silva have the Etihad on their sat navs, not Rush Green.

I think I can see where this is heading.

Is the cobra keeping fit ?
I was speaking from the sullivan point of view, we are doing the usual tried to buy scenarios again

garnett

Post by garnett »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:27 am
palerider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:53 am

Really ?

Do you think Antonio will now successfully get through every game from now until the end of the season ?

The young lad on the bench is a talent for sure but chucking him off the deep end would be a step too far. Giving him minutes here and there is the way forward. And Yarmalenko is not a proper striker either.

The Messiah said yesterday that West Ham had made 'big' offers for forwards that had been rejected. I assume he means Nketiah, possibly the Serb sulk too. But as for Boulaye Dia, who many think is odds on to join, he also said we may have to look at a loan deal.

Well Bugsy old son, we already have the maximum of two. About a month ago the idea of sending Craig Dawson back unopened wasn't a stupid plan but it is now. So unless we send back Benrahma (and I'm not sure we can anyway), who's starting to understand his role and is playing well, that option is off the table.

And last week Moyes declared his admiration in the way Pep used a false nine. It works for them. But if for one moment he was thinking West Ham could be potent doing the same, I'd like to remind him that De Bruyne, Foden, Gundogan, Mahrez and Bernardo Silva have the Etihad on their sat navs, not Rush Green.

I think I can see where this is heading.

Is the cobra keeping fit ?
The maximum 2 rule applies to domestic loans.

We can loan as many fuzzy wuzzies as we like.
I was speaking from the sullivan point of view as we are doing the usual tried to buy scenarios again

garnett

Post by garnett »

Fucking phone :twisted:

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:03 pm
JayK wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Imo yes. It's no secret our first choice was Maxi Gomez but when that deal went south instead of looking for a player similar to Gomez in style we went for Haller. Jovic is much more suited to the sort of "spearhead" role, which is why he hasn't been able to breakthrough at Real. Because Benzema is still doing very well for them.
Good info. Oh well, didn’t and won’t happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

The latest name to be linked with us is Giovanni Simeone who is the son of Diego, the boss at Atletico Madrid. Don't watch a lot of Italian football so haven't a bloody scooby what he's like. He has played a few times for Argentina. But then again so has Lanzini.

Someone has also suggested we are trying to bring in Mikel Oyazarbal from Real Sociedad. Now he is siome player. So no chance of him shipping up soon unfortunately.

A more likely name is Salomon Rondon. Remember him ? Much more likely to see him arriving imo.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:39 pm The latest name to be linked with us is Giovanni Simeone who is the son of Diego, the boss at Atletico Madrid. Don't watch a lot of Italian football so haven't a bloody scooby what he's like. He has played a few times for Argentina. But then again so has Lanzini.
FFS not another lightweight fucking South American Nancy boy.