Rice

Chat about anything football related here!
thomasswe

Re: Rice on the cheap

Post by thomasswe »

palerider wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am Whether or not Statler & Waldorf decide to cash in on Rice will define their tenure.

Either by luck or judgement, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, the balls have fallen into place. I still maintain that CL football is beyond us but not impossible. But Declan appears to be loving life at at the ILS and I'm certain he won't rock the boat if he doesn't get a move or we don't qualify for Europe, especially if they give him the pay rise he deserves.

In the past however, most notably after the 3rd place finish in '86 but with a special mention to building on the Payet season with the inspired addition of Simone Zaza, our respective owners have adopted the Captain Rum stance of expanding on a great season with decent squad additions and keeping the stars we already had.

All the other owners say it's what you should do. We say it isn't.

So. After our plucky mauling tomorrow and hopefully a swift dusting down to regroup, it was be all eyes on the dwarf this summer.

We could be on the verge of something meaningful, not just a flash in the pan.

But in all honesty I wouldn't trust that little cunt to button his shirt up the right way, let alone build for the future.
I usually avoid the owners topic as its all been said really but I fear they would point at the spending following the Pellegrini apponitment and the lack of success tvereafter as proof that they shouldn't or doesnt need to spend money.

If we qualify for either european competition we clearly need to add players, not replace them.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

thomasswe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am
palerider wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 am Whether or not Statler & Waldorf decide to cash in on Rice will define their tenure.

Either by luck or judgement, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, the balls have fallen into place. I still maintain that CL football is beyond us but not impossible. But Declan appears to be loving life at at the ILS and I'm certain he won't rock the boat if he doesn't get a move or we don't qualify for Europe, especially if they give him the pay rise he deserves.

In the past however, most notably after the 3rd place finish in '86 but with a special mention to building on the Payet season with the inspired addition of Simone Zaza, our respective owners have adopted the Captain Rum stance of expanding on a great season with decent squad additions and keeping the stars we already had.

All the other owners say it's what you should do. We say it isn't.

So. After our plucky mauling tomorrow and hopefully a swift dusting down to regroup, it was be all eyes on the dwarf this summer.

We could be on the verge of something meaningful, not just a flash in the pan.

But in all honesty I wouldn't trust that little cunt to button his shirt up the right way, let alone build for the future.
I usually avoid the owners topic as its all been said really but I fear they would point at the spending following the Pellegrini apponitment and the lack of success tvereafter as proof that they shouldn't or doesnt need to spend money.

If we qualify for either european competition we clearly need to add players, not replace them.
The Pellegrini spending mainly floundered on the two most expensive acquisitions, Haller & Anderson. Fornals, Diop and Balbuena also came in during the Pellegrini reign and, imo, have been good squad additions. Moyes transfer dealings, Hugill apart, have worked much better than most of us could have hoped, although the jury is still out on the most expensive, Benrahma. All of which maybe proves that if you look hard enough it's still possible to pick up bargains. Dawson for £3 million or Tarkowski for 10 times that.? On the evidence we've seen so far it seems that Moyes, or whoever is doing his scouting for him, has a decent eye for players who can fit into our system. Speaking personally I'd rather have a couple of Souceks and another couple of Coufals for less than Chelsea paid for Ben Chilwell who is currently warming their bench more than he is playing now Lampard has gone.

It's not always the price tag that should decide who you bring in. Just ask Manchester United. :lol: :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Towie wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 pm Straight from the boards mouth. :lol: :lol: ;)
Stalker alert! :lol:

Towie

Post by Towie »

hd1 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm
Towie wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 pm Straight from the boards mouth. :lol: :lol: ;)

Says the man who searched through posts of mine to bring up an old Dawson quote. :lol: shakeass
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:27 am
hd1 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm

Says the man who searched through posts of mine to bring up an old Dawson quote. :lol: shakeass
You should be flattered someone considers your words of wisdon worthy of such diligence. ;) ;)

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

hd1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 pm
tassiehammer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:27 pm Just read that our beloved owners have told all and sundry that only offers over 100 million will be looked at during the summer. Having our best season in the premier and they can't keep their gobs shut untill season's end.
Gobshite paper talk yet again. No-one at the club has said anything of the sort.
A little “imo” at the end of that sentence would have put a completely different context to that post .

I’m not saying I agree with the general consensus but I’m not surprised you get grief sometimes .

If you know it for a fact then say so mate . In that post above you sound like Hugh Southen.
Bring back Jonathon !

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:34 am
thomasswe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am

The Pellegrini spending mainly floundered on the two most expensive acquisitions, Haller & Anderson. Fornals, Diop and Balbuena also came in during the Pellegrini reign and, imo, have been good squad additions. Moyes transfer dealings, Hugill apart, have worked much better than most of us could have hoped, although the jury is still out on the most expensive, Benrahma. All of which maybe proves that if you look hard enough it's still possible to pick up bargains. Dawson for £3 million or Tarkowski for 10 times that.? On the evidence we've seen so far it seems that Moyes, or whoever is doing his scouting for him, has a decent eye for players who can fit into our system. Speaking personally I'd rather have a couple of Souceks and another couple of Coufals for less than Chelsea paid for Ben Chilwell who is currently warming their bench more than he is playing now Lampard has gone.

It's not always the price tag that should decide who you bring in. Just ask Manchester United. :lol: :lol:
Don't get me wrong I like him...But Fornals was an error...we we're crying out for a Soucek/Rice type Mfer,he went
for a more attack minded one in Fornals,got the priority wrong...only slack can cut him is that he saw maybe Wilshere
in that role...hence a couple of times we had Jack and Sanchez in the Holding MF..
You can have the best Defenders,Best attack minded players around....you have no Holding MFers you win Fuck All...
Don't think he got that..Strange one,never understood him.
Never really rated Peller that much TBH ,plenty better...stuff he done here really pissed me off..good signings,but couldn't
knit a team together..trying to run before we can walk...Moyes has spotted problems,worked on them,sorted them out,
and starts to build a team,been bloody interesting see what Moyes could have done with a 200 Mill Spend...
Might have got us in the top half.... :lol: ...Like you say Moneys not always the answer..

Think Bens gonna be a star for us...pretty convinced...mind you thought that with Felipe...think that situation is the
most frustrating in my time as an Iron...but Ben might turn out to be better.

palerider

Post by palerider »

mkhammer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:14 am

Don't get me wrong I like him...But Fornals was an error...we we're crying out for a Soucek/Rice type Mfer,he went
for a more attack minded one in Fornals,got the priority wrong...only slack can cut him is that he saw maybe Wilshere
in that role...hence a couple of times we had Jack and Sanchez in the Holding MF..
You can have the best Defenders,Best attack minded players around....you have no Holding MFers you win Fuck All...
Never really rated Peller that much TBH ,plenty better...stuff he done here really pissed me off..good signings,but couldn't
knit a team together..trying to run before we can walk...Moyes has spotted problems,worked on them,sorted them out,
and starts to build a team,been bloody interesting see what Moyes could have done with a 200 Mill Spend...
Might have got us in the top half.... :lol: ...Like you say Moneys not always the answer..

Think Bens gonna be a star for us...pretty convinced...mind you thought that with Felipe...think that situation is the
No comparison in the work rate.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Don't disagree a Fornals type signing might not have been a priority at the time but imo to say signing him was a mistake is just, well, plain wrong. The bloke is a class act. Works his nuts off despite being played most of the time in a position which isn't his best. Imo he is the one player in the side who can find the key pass to create an opening but with the present set up difficult to see how he can be accommodated in the centre of midfield.

Benrahma ? Juries out for me. Time is on his side and at least, unlike a lot of previous West Ham signings, he has the opportunity of playing in a decent side. But for me at the moment too much of a show pony. Lots of fancy looking tricks and flicks, not enough thought about his end product. But that said there are signs of improvement from when he first arrived so fingers crossed.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:23 am

Don't disagree a Fornals type signing might not have been a priority at the time but imo to say signing him was a mistake is just, well, plain wrong. The bloke is a class act. Works his nuts off despite being played most of the time in a position which isn't his best. Imo he is the one player in the side who can find the key pass to create an opening but with the present set up difficult to see how he can be accommodated in the centre of midfield.

Benrahma ? Juries out for me. Time is on his side and at least, unlike a lot of previous West Ham signings, he has the opportunity of playing in a decent side. But for me at the moment too much of a show pony. Lots of fancy looking tricks and flicks, not enough thought about his end product. But that said there are signs of improvement from when he first arrived so fingers crossed.
Spose,trying to draw a comparison...be like us signing say Keiron Trippier,cracking player,would love him here,but do we need
him...no.
25 Mill we spend on him should go towards a CF..gotta have a Balanced Squad...Peller imo made it unbalanced.

I would start Fornals over Ben today,but prefer Ben as a player...it's about utilizing the whole squad on a Match by
Match Bases.....Fornals today would be more effective in closing City down than Ben...
Maybe get Ben on for Bowen or Micky Later...switch it round a bit..
He's a really good player no doubt,and will get better,but seems to need a bit to much time on the ball,and not quite
sure what to do with it at times...you watch Lingard,straight away knows what he gonna do and his options.