Aston Villa vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

Aston Villa vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Ibbyham »

Following our disappointed performance against the bin-dippers, they were all over us from the 1st minute. The only positive is that we are still 5th as Spud and Everton both lost but Chelsea and Aston Villa are closing on us.

Moving on to Villa, we need to make sure that Grealish not to keep diving to win free-kick as I was very disappointed what he did against our team. We need to get our performance back and hope to have a good response.

Squad:

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Rice
Soucek

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Antonio

Let have a good performance and hope to get at least a point as it won't be easy against them as they don't have any injuries top players.

COYI!!! whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

terrya1965

Re: Aston Villa vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by terrya1965 »

Villa are a decent unit.Dean Smith has brought well and are one of the surprise packages of the season.

Just hope today's game hasn't supped all that confidence from us and we can go again.If you are winning,you don't tire..You lose a few,you tend to.

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

We don't really have many options to do things much differently.

It is worrying though that just as we are forced to rely on Antonio his form dips. Yarmo is not the answer and Odubeko still has not had even a few minutes at this level. I'm not pressing the panic button yet, but if Moyes truly believes he has enough with what he has, we are going to have chunks of our ass missing.

I think we will be OK in this one, Grealish is their best player and he is not Salah.

Towie

Post by Towie »

I know we won against them earlier in the season, but let’s face it we were lucky. They dominated most of the game helped by a ref who seemed to give them every foul going at the slightest touch.

This will be a very tough game, would be happy with a point tbh.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Ibbyham wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm Following our disappointed performance against the bin-dippers, they were all over us from the 1st minute. The only positive is that we are still 5th as Spud and Everton both lost but Chelsea and Aston Villa are closing on us.

Moving on to Villa, we need to make sure that Grealish not to keep diving to win free-kick as I was very disappointed what he did against our team. We need to get our performance back and hope to have a good response.

Squad:

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Rice
Soucek

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Antonio

Let have a good performance and hope to get at least a point as it won't be easy against them as they don't have any injuries top players.

Cheers Ibbs.

Would be nice if we could stop Grealish diving but obviously that’s impossible. Only the red and his manager can do that so I hope the red keeps a close eye on the drink driving little weasel.
If I remember right, we played 10 men and a lamppost against them last time and won so hopefully with an extra man we should do ok. Probs be a draw though coz Antonio forgot where he put his goal scoring boots. Hope he finds them quickly.
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:00 am I know we won against them earlier in the season, but let’s face it we were lucky. They dominated most of the game helped by a ref who seemed to give them every foul going at the slightest touch.

This will be a very tough game, would be happy with a point tbh.
On the evidence so far they've got a better deal from Brentford than we have. Watkins looks a real player whereas Benrahma has struggled, although he has shown, like against Palace, there might be a player in there somewhere. Grealish is obviously the main threat, and not just because of his Tom Daley impressions.

Hopefully the side that turns up on Tuesday will be the one that managed to concede 3 against Burnley, which takes some doing, rather than the one that put 7 past Liverpool. Like you I'll be happy with a point. Key game for us this one, imo. Hopefully we'll see a good reaction, and a bit of backbone, to the lesson we were taught yesterday, but the West Ham DNA has been a bit light on the backbone gene over the past 50 odd years.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Ibbyham wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm Following our disappointed performance against the bin-dippers, they were all over us from the 1st minute. The only positive is that we are still 5th as Spud and Everton both lost but Chelsea and Aston Villa are closing on us.

Squad:

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Rice
Soucek

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Antonio

Well done Ibbs, the performance from some of the players was so inept against Liverpool, at least three need to be dropped because a manager needs to make a statement to the squad. Not having it.

Rice at his most ineffective, looks a clumsy, awkward footballer and would normally be dropped. We however can't do that and can only hope he restores himself to his usual high level.

However, Benrahma, Antonio and Bowen don't get a pass. Not ideal but it has to be Lanzini, Odubeko and that bloody fool Lingard.

Not ideal but is it better to get a flaky draw or a thumping defeat

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

After the poor showing against Liverpool , I feel this is a key match for us , a point will not be good enough for the confidence .
No more sitting back Moyes and hoping for a chance to out score the opposition , doesn't work against teams with talent in midfield and up front .
Not keen on Antonio as a striker ( he isn't one ) but we need all the luck in the world at the moment to get him up and firing ( like he had early season ) , because it doesn't look like the kid Odubeko is going to get his chance .
Bowen need's to get his varifocals on so he can see not only what is in front of him but what is happening in the box .
Fornals needs to play in the middle ( not on the wing ) Moyes .
Benrahma showed against Palace he has ability , just not sure if it is premier league standard , but I am hoping , because I like some of what I have seen .
Cresswell may not be the man to have as our LB for this one , especially when he will be up against the likes of Traore and Cash overlapping in front of him .

Why the hell didn't we get Martinez from the gunners instead of the likes of Randolph , he would have been the ideal keeper to take the reins from Fabs .

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am

Squad:

Fabianski

Coufal
Dawson
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Rice
Soucek

Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals

Antonio

Well done Ibbs, the performance from some of the players was so inept against Liverpool, at least three need to be dropped because a manager needs to make a statement to the squad. Not having it.

Rice at his most ineffective, looks a clumsy, awkward footballer and would normally be dropped. We however can't do that and can only hope he restores himself to his usual high level.

However, Benrahma, Antonio and Bowen don't get a pass. Not ideal but it has to be Lanzini, Odubeko and that bloody fool Lingard.

Feel a lot of what we saw was down to the manager , and Antonio coming back to fitness and not having the luck he had early season and of cause not being a striker .
Bowen is a trier , which is where most of his good work is done , he lacks a certain Genasaqua on the ball as a creative player .
Not sure what was up with Rice , he looked uncertain which is very uncharacteristic of him , maybe he wasn't happy with the tactics , he definitely looked like he was trying to hard at times ( almost petulant ) in his approach .

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Clayton wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:22 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am

Feel a lot of what we saw was down to the manager , and Antonio coming back to fitness and not having the luck he had early season and of cause not being a striker .
Bowen is a trier , which is where most of his good work is done , he lacks a certain Genasaqua on the ball as a creative player .
Not sure what was up with Rice , he looked uncertain which is very uncharacteristic of him , maybe he wasn't happy with the tactics , he definitely looked like he was trying to hard at times ( almost petulant ) in his approach .
Genasaqua :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !