Man Utd vs West Ham FA Cup Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Shortshanks

Re: Man Utd vs West Ham FA Cup Match Thread

Post by Shortshanks »

Saw this on the Betfair forum after the Liverpool game and sums up the Moyes's, Bruce's, Fat Sams etc to a tee. :

"5th in the table on a bit of a roll(what was it 5 or 6 wins in a row?)a full strength team at home playing against a weakened Liverpool and we set up like that. Words fail me. Brighton without a home win all season beat Spurs playing some great stuff. IMO thats the difference between the old skool managers and the new gen. When the new gen play the 6 they just see 3 points. For the older lot historical status bias sets in. The top 6 team could play their B team and the 1st thought would still be 'lets bunker down and see if we can snatch a point' "

Plus we also pay £30 million for a player who's worth no more than £15 million.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

In what could have easily been a great season,could turn out a damp squib,because of under investment.

Underneath,Moyes and his coaching staff must be seething,because I can't see how he didn't need another striker?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:45 am In what could have easily been a great season,could turn out a damp squib,because of under investment.

Underneath,Moyes and his coaching staff must be seething,because I can't see how he didn't need another striker?
But isn't that what these owners are all about under investment and pulling a fast one over everyone , hate to think what the inside and the facilities of the training grounds look like but the outside look pitiful compared to some lower division sides let alone other premier league sides .
We have all heard about the state of the scouting system , and the lack of a proper Director of football , what's the state of the Academy now ? Even our management and coaching is their level , nothing creative or sparkling in our tactics bit like our owners , more of the we can make do ethos , everything on the cheap probably much like the owners previous venture into entertainment .

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

the problem with having a good season is we start to think we are something that frankly we are not. I usually dont get too wound up at getting beat by utd/citeh/liverpool, its the way its always been, but got into a massive spat with my Man U brother in law last night. Now normally its healthy banter .....and Utd win and we crack on. However, now we are (sort of) competing at the top(ish) table the banter is a little more biting .. you know ' we've come to park the bus and not try and play, and utd have spent billions and cant beat us in 90mins' etc etc but with added f u's. To the point of being sent to the sin bin to cool down by the better half.. ;)

Personally think we have over performed this season and without significant investment we may do a wolves or sheff u and disappear up our own arses next season. Dont get me wrong i've fuckin loved it so far but we are at best a top ten team because our owners lack ambition.

It really is stick or twist in the summer and if moyes is here he needs to get this top 6 monkey off his back and beat one of them or i go back to accepting we are a selling yo yo club.

Disappointed with the result last night but ambition wise would like to see us continue our form in the league, continue to play some decent footy and finish top 6.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

brookingslovechild wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 am the problem with having a good season is we start to think we are something that frankly we are not. I usually dont get too wound up at getting beat by utd/citeh/liverpool, its the way its always been, but got into a massive spat with my Man U brother in law last night. Now normally its healthy banter .....and Utd win and we crack on. However, now we are (sort of) competing at the top(ish) table the banter is a little more biting .. you know ' we've come to park the bus and not try and play, and utd have spent billions and cant beat us in 90mins' etc etc but with added f u's. To the point of being sent to the sin bin to cool down by the better half.. ;)

Personally think we have over performed this season and without significant investment we may do a wolves or sheff u and disappear up our own arses next season. Dont get me wrong i've fuckin loved it so far but we are at best a top ten team because our owners lack ambition.

It really is stick or twist in the summer and if moyes is here he needs to get this top 6 monkey off his back and beat one of them or i go back to accepting we are a selling yo yo club.

Disappointed with the result last night but ambition wise would like to see us continue our form in the league, continue to play some decent footy and finish top 6.
Think their is only one way this club can continue to progress in this league , and finish in the top six , while playing some decent footy and that is new owners and investment from the bottom up .
And yes your right this team have overperformed this season , getting hard fought results against the so called lesser teams we would have normally lost to , but then again it is a weird season .

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:45 am In what could have easily been a great season,could turn out a damp squib,because of under investment.

Thought he bought Hugill ? :(

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

Clayton wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:23 am
brookingslovechild wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 am the problem with having a good season is we start to think we are something that frankly we are not. I usually dont get too wound up at getting beat by utd/citeh/liverpool, its the way its always been, but got into a massive spat with my Man U brother in law last night. Now normally its healthy banter .....and Utd win and we crack on. However, now we are (sort of) competing at the top(ish) table the banter is a little more biting .. you know ' we've come to park the bus and not try and play, and utd have spent billions and cant beat us in 90mins' etc etc but with added f u's. To the point of being sent to the sin bin to cool down by the better half.. ;)

Think their is only one way this club can continue to progress in this league , and finish in the top six , while playing some decent footy and that is new owners and investment from the bottom up .
And yes your right this team have overperformed this season , getting hard fought results against the so called lesser teams we would have normally lost to , but then again it is a weird season .
weird season indeed, i do wonder whether we would have performed the same with fans. That said to beat the team around us (especially burnley everton) has been a fuckin revelation and thoroughly enjoyable. Just would be nice to get something from the usual top 4. Honestly if we keep the team together and add some numbers i dont think we are far away from doing a leicester. Hope is a horrible thing as a footy fan tho.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:25 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 am

I think sixth place in the league is " competing" tbh. As for the F A Cup this season I'm surprised anyone really gives a fuck about the bloody thing. It's never been a competition that says anything about where a club stands in football's hierarchy but the final is a good day out for the fans.

But it won't be this season, same as it wasn't last. So what's the fucking point ?
6th place is a false position. If the teams below us win their games in hand we are 9th.

The squad is wafer thin and has been stripped. Ogbonna and Antonio alongside Rice and Soucek have been the basis of our wins this season. The former are injured and the latter are exhausted

5/1 for a bottom half finish at the moment looks value!

Agree on the FA Cup by the way. Went to the Final in Cardiff - amazing day - if we got there this season how would it even come close.
It may well be a false position, and I don't think we will finish 6th, but the fact remains that even if, as you say, the teams below win those games in hand we would be 9th, but still only 6 points off second place. In my book that is competing. Whether we can continue to compete for the rest of the season is, of course, another matter entirely.

And our record against those other teams isn't too bad either is it ? We've lost twice to Liverpool and failed to take points off Man U and Chelsea. But we have taken a point against Spurs and City and beaten Everton, Villa and Leicester. Which, tbh, is a heck of a lot better than I expected immediatelt after the Newcastle game.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

I guess its all about expectations.

That's what makes last night so disappointing. We had a go at United in the league - should have been 4-0 at half time and got turned over in the end. However we had a go and got beat 3-1. Oh well.

Last night we played without a striker (just because someone stands in the position doesn't make it so), dropped all creativity for 2 wingers who run about a lot and played Noble who, doesn't run anywhere, anymore. We played for a point in a cup game!

I expected us to have a go. We didn't

I expected us to strengthen a weak squad in January - we let 4 players go and bought 1 in.

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

I expected us to be in a relegation fight

was pissed off last night as I thought we were better than that as they have lifted my expectation bar
when the draw was made I thought well that us out then so why was I pissed of when we were

thought Johnson came on and gave another good account of himself

think Fornals answered the question for many Beni if instead of him not the otherway around

Bowen has last his way a little and everyone had a below par game

just hope we beat the whippet shaggers so we can stay above tottscum for a little longer