Michail Antonio---Stick or Twist

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Michail Antonio---Stick or Twist

Post by Whiskyman »

Let's assume, in an alternative universe somewhere, that you are the manager of West Ham and you have been told what your transfer budget is and that you can add to it by selling players and every penny raised will be added to said budget.

If it was me I'd try to offload Antonio. We are over reliant on him and, through no fault of his own, he keeps breaking down. And like the old Ford in the garage the older it gets the less reliable it becomes. Of course in our real universe we've offered the bloke a new contract. Totally stupid imo but it's been done so we have to live with it.

We all know Antonio has been something of a revelation since moving to his central striking role but, tbh, until then I'd never really rated the bloke. Never the most intelligent player in the pack (Selhurst Park under Bilic anybody ?) but at one time it was rumoured that one or two clubs were looking into making an offer.

Would it be worthwhile trying to offload him if a suitable offer came along ? Imo the answer has to be yes, always providing of course a replacement can be identified. And before anyone mentions the dwarf's grubby little fingers remember I'm talking about an alternative universe. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Re: Michail Antonio---Stick or Twist

Post by palerider »

As a second striker, stick.

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

He has that Carlton Cole "je ne sais quois" thing about him, albeit a much chunkier version...both always put a decent shift in, both capable of getting useful goals, both very affable and nice chaps and both lacking real skill....
Still think he has a role to play as hes pretty good at bulldozing through defences and generally causing chaos !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Rick_Deckard wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:49 am He has that Carlton Cole "je ne sais quois" thing about him, albeit a much chunkier version...both always put a decent shift in, both capable of getting useful goals, both very affable and nice chaps and both lacking real skill....
Still think he has a role to play as hes pretty good at bulldozing through defences and generally causing chaos !
Agreed. But only when fit. Which I think will become increasingly less often.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

if i wars the manager twist there are better out there and younger and less injury prone

as a fan keep as i like him and my job does not depend on him being fit and missing a barn door every know and then

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:25 am
Rick_Deckard wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:49 am He has that Carlton Cole "je ne sais quois" thing about him, albeit a much chunkier version...both always put a decent shift in, both capable of getting useful goals, both very affable and nice chaps and both lacking real skill....
Agreed. But only when fit. Which I think will become increasingly less often.
Unfortunately yes, especially with the games coming up we really are going to need him if we want to consolidate out current place in the table..

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

100% effort, no question.

Technically poor and a slight on the club, that we are so reliant on him. If the tosspots in charge, release decent money, I would get rid if possible. I just wonder how much better we would be, with a proven striker.
Covid in the Boardroom

JayK

Post by JayK »

What’s the transfer budget in this alternative universe? You said we’ve been told it so it depends what we can get with that and whether we need to sell Antonio to get Mbappe :lol:
Personally I think he’d be a good impact sub so hopefully said budget is enough that we don’t need to sell him
COYI!!!

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

The smart, footballing move would to be to twist. He's 31 next month and once he loses his pace - which he will, 90% of his worth at PL level is gone. Add to that his suspect hamstrings and much as I hate to say it he could end up just being a wasted squad place.

I look at Aaron Lennon and see similarities to be honest, just that spuds were smart enough to get rid once he started to wane. Everton persevered with him probably for a season too long and he was pointless at Burnley once what little pace he had left disappeared. He's now languishing in the Turkish league having one assist to his name in 20 odd games.

Look, I really like Antonio and love what he gives to the side but we're in danger of keeping a player on the books purely because of who he is is rather than what he can do for the team. I'd hate it if he ended up in a similar situation to Noble where pretty much everyone groans the minute he steps on the pitch.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

He seems a good fit for us and we a good fit for him. Every striker pre the 'Cobra', Dean Ashton or Sakho have all performed worse when wearing the C&B.

David Moyes has some credit on the recruitment side of things, although he did sanction Jordan Hugill and that hope was extinguished after one apperance. A 'hows yer luck' approach does not always work funnily enough.

Of course had we recruited Thomas Frank a year ago, we would have top strikers all over the place. Buts that spilt milk,water under the bridge.

So back on topic, meanderings over and back to Michail...we're a bit stuck together in truth. Like a marriage that has great sex now and again but not enough good moments to call it satisfying.