Breakaway super League

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: Breakaway super League

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:01 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 pm
If UEFA wanted to be seen to be making a hard stand they could sanction them for next season. No european involvement plus a fine. That would elevate West Ham into Champs league. So yes I would support that.

Where I disagree, is proposals to remove league points fairly won during the season. Simply because it's a completely different competition with it's own rules. And the "ugly six" have not broken any domestic rules yet.
Apparently they have if the bloke I just heard on the radio is right. PL rules apparently prohibit clubs from entering another competition unless sanctioned by the PL. But I agree with you that a points deduction would be stupid. Fines seem to be the most sensible sanction.
Of course you do have to smile at Man City who have some chutzpah with regards their operating capability.

City were given a two-year ban from European club competitions for breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules, which was overturned on appeal. A classic case of waving two stiff fingers in front of UEFA noses.

Ten months later they're at it again,or were at it.

Where the irony or humorous symmetry is most acute is, City were appealing against a UEFA ban while planning on leaving the very competition they were arguing to be allowed to stay in. At least they had the good grace to be the first to apologise for letting themselves down, so that counts in their favour doesn't it ?

At the minimum, we should be grateful they haven't tried to infiltrate the UEFA excecutive with their own employees. And for that reason I wish them well in the cup final this weekend...

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

What a Blinkered self centered fuck that Perez is...But..
He does seem to think the greedy bunch have signed a legal and binding contract to join another League,
So they will be getting it from both angles....more shit all this stuff causes them the better...

Points or dosh...........Points deduction will hit them a lot harder...15 Pts ....Scouse/Spuds would have just cleared a relegation battle
Arse would potentially still be in one...and no CL Quali for the Cheats...if it was this season...
No CL footie for them...no ones gonna want to sign for them...could be the start of more level playing field,so to speak... :lol:
Sky and BT etc would still get their "Big Games"but with a new spin on it.
Otherwise it would need fines of 150/200 mill to even dent them...but that is a Billion quid..some Charities could put
that to good use at moment...not just footie ones either.....Rodger Daltreys Teenage Cancer Trust is really struggling at
moment..so are many others..lets put any fines into good use,if thats the way it goes.

And we could still win the League...... :lol:

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Superb

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 am They have broken the rules. They have signed a contract to join a breakaway league. Several of the teams have been negotiating this for 3 years according to Perez.

I must confess my first thought was points deduction is not fair on the fans but...

Clubs that go into administration because the management have spent too much cash get points deducted. Its not the players or the fans fault then either but this is routinely applied every season.

So points deduction, massive fine (most of which should be given to League 1,2 and the pyramid as solidarity payments) and bring in a 50+1 rule.
The 50 + 1 rule works fine in Germany because they've always had it. But where is the money going to come from to acquire the 51% share holding which would be necessary ? I can't imagine the money brokers queuing up to hand millions of pounds over to fan groups, can you ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am

Apparently they have if the bloke I just heard on the radio is right. PL rules apparently prohibit clubs from entering another competition unless sanctioned by the PL. But I agree with you that a points deduction would be stupid. Fines seem to be the most sensible sanction.
Fines will make no difference.They will just add it to the debt.
Of course fines will make a difference. If the idea is to punish the owners rather than the clubs fines are the only way to do so. The value of a club is determined by the health of it's balance sheet, just like any other business. The owners are the people who hold the majority of shares in the business and if the value of their business is reduced then the value of their share holding is reduced proportionally. It's not rocket science.

Excluding them from European Competitions would also reduce their income of course but it would also reduce the value of the t v deals if certain clubs who attract big audiences are excluded so clubs who were not part of the cartel would also be affected financially.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am

Surely that would depend on the amount of the fine.

A club that happily forks out 100 million for a player isn't by definition, going to be that bothered about a 50 million fine. It would have to be an amount that would make their eyes pop. A transfer embargo and a European ban on top of it as well as I said earlier.

UEFA president Ceferin has admitted that much as he'd like to, handing the CL title to PSG now is unlikely because of signed TV rights, but next season ?
Well, yes, of course it would depend on the size of the fine. If the fine is to hurt then it would have to be significant. But I suspect the Premier League, and probably UEFA as well although I'm more hopeful with them as it was their competition that would have been affected, will choke when it comes to the crunch.

The Premier League know the value of their "product" means keeping the so called big 6 onside. Some economist on the radio this afternoon reckons the value without the likes of Man United & Liverpool would reduce by as much as two thirds. Although I was amused to hear that he felt the absence of Arsenal and/or Spurs wouldn't make a significant difference. UEFA obviously would have the same problem if they decided to exclude the likes of Real Madrid & Barcelona. And presumably neither body could exclude clubs until the present agreements run out without triggering repayments.

But I think it's going to be interesting watching this space over the next week or three.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Castiron wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:56 am

Don't think anyone can blame Henderson, or any of the players at the other clubs involved for what happened. They are just employees and would have had no involvement in talks of breakaways and so forth.
As for people like Souness and Barnes etc saying docking points just hurts the players and fans. Tough shit. We all know their agendas.
As do all penalties and punishments meted out to clubs in every league & competition on the planet.
It doesn’t stop them though does it.
Souness and Barnes. Liverpool and Liverpool.
Say no more.
Didn’t take them long to drop their “principles” did it.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Florentino Perez quote.
If this is the case and they're still "in" then surely that's a slam-dunk for the P.L and UEFA to nail them?
Of course there's the wee remote possibility that he might just be fibbing !
Perez.JPG
Perez.JPG (26.47 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:00 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am

Fines will make no difference.They will just add it to the debt.
Of course fines will make a difference. If the idea is to punish the owners rather than the clubs fines are the only way to do so. The value of a club is determined by the health of it's balance sheet, just like any other business. The owners are the people who hold the majority of shares in the business and if the value of their business is reduced then the value of their share holding is reduced proportionally. It's not rocket science.

Excluding them from European Competitions would also reduce their income of course but it would also reduce the value of the t v deals if certain clubs who attract big audiences are excluded so clubs who were not part of the cartel would also be affected financially.
Yeah,only if the fine is £200 million each.

Towie

Post by Towie »

ToneLoc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 pm Florentino Perez quote.
If this is the case and they're still "in" then surely that's a slam-dunk for the P.L and UEFA to nail them?
Of course there's the wee remote possibility that he might just be fibbing !
Perez.JPG
They are still in at the moment as they have to put together the exit procedure. Hopefully will involve huge penalty clauses having to be paid.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.