West Ham vs Freiburg Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
OZHAMMER

Re: West Ham vs Freiburg Official Match Thread

Post by OZHAMMER »

Bondsobob wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:28 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 am

Yes, but winning the Cabou cup will only get you a place in conference unless you have already qualified for the two upper levels.

Though it was nice to win the CL we should aim at least for the EL and FA cup or league position only gets you that. Or winning the CL which gave us this spot. Imo the aim should always be to qualify via the league if possible, Champions league is way out of our reach atm and will be for some time, but as you have said, this season it would not be impossible to finish in a Europa spot, taking in to account the team that denied us the season before last is shaky.
The Champions league is not way out of our reach if we could actually win the europa league this season. That's the pot (the europa) I think we should be targeting now.
Aim for the stars.
I see that Copenhagen, PSV, and Lazio all qualified for the Round of 16 in the CL. I’d fancy our chances against these three, so I concur with the first half of your first sentence.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 am

Yes, but winning the Cabou cup will only get you a place in conference unless you have already qualified for the two upper levels.

Though it was nice to win the CL we should aim at least for the EL and FA cup or league position only gets you that. Or winning the CL which gave us this spot. Imo the aim should always be to qualify via the league if possible, Champions league is way out of our reach atm and will be for some time, but as you have said, this season it would not be impossible to finish in a Europa spot, taking in to account the team that denied us the season before last is shaky.
The Champions league is not way out of our reach if we could actually win the europa league this season. That's the pot (the europa) I think we should be targeting now.
Aim for the stars.
I make your thinking right there mate. The big threat imo will come from one of the CL dropous. Milan looked decent in both games against Newcastle, Galatasaray effectively finished off Man United and the dark horse for me are Shakhtar Donetsk who looked half decent in both their games against Barcelona. They actually beat Barca, who hadn't clinched top place at the time, in Hamburg which was their "home" game. Of the Europa top seeds I reckon Leverkusen and Liverpool are two of the favourites. Villarreal are previous winners but are way off the pace in La Liga this season and aren't the side they were a couple of years back.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am

Aim for the stars.
I make your thinking right there mate. The big threat imo will come from one of the CL dropous. Milan looked decent in both games against Newcastle, Galatasaray effectively finished off Man United and the dark horse for me are Shakhtar Donetsk who looked half decent in both their games against Barcelona. They actually beat Barca, who hadn't clinched top place at the time, in Hamburg which was their "home" game. Of the Europa top seeds I reckon Leverkusen and Liverpool are two of the favourites. Villarreal are previous winners but are way off the pace in La Liga this season and aren't the side they were a couple of years back.
Good post .

Indeed Bilbao are the new Villareal :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am

Good post .

Indeed Bilbao are the new Villareal :lol:
They are indeed. In fact one could say they are basqueing in their success.

I'll close the door on my way out.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

ginger japs.

i had no idea they existed