Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Flairon

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Flairon »

Well who saw that coming.!?!

A fantastically disciplined performance. Arguably our best performance of the season and a clean sheet to boot.
Flairon

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

brookingslovechild wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:59 am
eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:59 am

Lucky for the first goal, lucky they werent awarded a penalty, lucky none of their 30 odd efforts on goal weren't finished off better, lucky the ball hit the post instead of going in. Luck can come in many guises and last nights i will take if it garners positive results. Bad luck was not against us last night. Well it made a brief appearance at Bennys' penalty kick, but i think good luck thought he had over paid.
weren’t lucky to lose our 2 best centre half’s before the game and our midfield genius 10 mins in joe. Beat the best team in the league who haven’t lost at home all season.
no luck against utd or wolves.
it’s irrational to me how we can’t celebrate the season we are having without giving moyes grief or saying how lucky we’ve been. Are there any supporters quite as disfunctional as us? It’s mental .
I’m guessing it’s going to get tough through jan with all the missing players so expect more melt downs incoming , but today I’m enjoying a good week of footy and sitting pretty in the league.
Well said that man.
Flairon

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

What a night, what an excellent team performance. Well done boys and Moyes. Special praised to Ogbonna and Mavropanos who played excellent and stood against the Gooners.

I am proud of every players played.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Bondsobob

Post by Bondsobob »

Well, I got that spectaculary wrong and I am glad to hold my hands up and say so.
It was a tight disciplined performance and its a pity about the missed penalty as that would really have rubbed it in.
However, two good results does not mitigate, for me anyway, the awful performances at Fulham and Liverpool and some of the other absolutely dire football that we have played. This sitting back and conceding possession all the time is simply not the way the game should be played (again IMO).
I am still very ambivalent towards Moyes.
I won't go into a meltdown if he leaves at the end of the season, nor will I get too upset if he is still here next year.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:25 am

weren’t lucky to lose our 2 best centre half’s before the game and our midfield genius 10 mins in joe. Beat the best team in the league who haven’t lost at home all season.
it’s irrational to me how we can’t celebrate the season we are having without giving moyes grief or saying how lucky we’ve been. Are there any supporters quite as disfunctional as us? It’s mental .
I’m guessing it’s going to get tough through jan with all the missing players so expect more melt downs incoming , but today I’m enjoying a good week of footy and sitting pretty in the league.
Just saying that it wasnt really bollox to say we had luck. Like i said i couldnt care less if we did at the end of the day it all counts. Could say we were lucky Paquta started, he hurt himself just before kick off, he if i recall was instrumental in starting a move that led to the goal.

I will admit i find it impossible to credit a man i have absolutely no respect for, and these results have only helped to accept but not like who we are.
I reckon every team has lovers and haters of the manager it’s natural. Not looking to change anyone’s view fella and believe me I am the most negative West Ham fan going, years of disappointment does that . So like the payet season which I loved and Europe last season , I’m giving positivity a whirl …….only until we get stuffed by Brighton obviously 😂😂..HNY

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

"They did [Arsenal}not convert any of their 30 shots, while they had 77 touches in the opposition box - the most on record (since 2008-09) in a Premier League match for a team who failed to score."

how many other teams would have survived that without conceding ?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Rick_Deckard wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 am "They did [Arsenal}not convert any of their 30 shots, while they had 77 touches in the opposition box - the most on record (since 2008-09) in a Premier League match for a team who failed to score."

How many other teams would have their entire 11 packed inside the area ?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Good solid defensive display, it is what he does versus the top 6.

Law of averages, it had to work eventually.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Rick_Deckard wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:52 am "They did [Arsenal}not convert any of their 30 shots, while they had 77 touches in the opposition box - the most on record (since 2008-09) in a Premier League match for a team who failed to score."

Also worth asking how many really serious saves did Areola have to make. There was one I recall in the first half which was top quality, the one he tipped over the bar and a shot from Odegaard in the second half that had to be pushed round the post. Other than that, apart from a decent chance that Jesus headed over I don't recall too much that worried him.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:59 am

Lucky for the first goal, lucky they werent awarded a penalty, lucky none of their 30 odd efforts on goal weren't finished off better, lucky the ball hit the post instead of going in. Luck can come in many guises and last nights i will take if it garners positive results. Bad luck was not against us last night. Well it made a brief appearance at Bennys' penalty kick, but i think good luck thought he had over paid.
goodpost:)

I think sometimes people have to remember that football is a sport and our remit is to finish as high up the table as possible.
Obviously the advent of Sky and their shiny production and the prevalence of armchair supporters with social media accounts means that many call for style over substance as they are led to believe that this is a show not a sport.

We are in the last 16 of the Europa League and are 6th in the league so nothing to complain about there for me.

Interesting reading some of the compliments of our team from the Arsenal forum.

Last season many on here were moaning about our league position and complaining about the lack of rotation of players and how they are being 'run into the ground'. The one game we rotate in this season (in what is likely our lowest priority comp) and people accuse Moyes of throwing the game rather than criticise the players who are apparently robots and only do what the manager tells them and therefore must have been told to play badly by the management. :lol:

Going from a relegation threatened side to a side that finishes in the top 8 twice, wins a trophy in the season where they finished lower and then be back in 6th after half a season having beaten Brighton, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs already. Of course Moyes deserves a new contract.

I know people on here will melt down at the next defeat because we are supposed to apparently win every game but I think the vloggers who claim Moyes was gone are the same ones that also claimed Moyes and Steidten don't get on which is not the case either. They get their fair amount of sheep clicking their videos and getting them paid as negativity breeds more clicks than positive videos unfortunately.

Last three league results. 3 wins, 7 goals scored, none conceded.
Last edited by h69 on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.