Our Youth

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: Our Youth

Post by h69 »

deanox wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:25 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:04 pm

We've played Mubama a couple of times, how do you think he fared ?

As for Marshall, maybe there is a reason he is on the bench at WBA. I believe Liverpool's debutants have all played in their u21 side for a couple of years. Ours have only for 6 months. They just need to physically develop a bit more.
Yes, you are absolutely correct, except playing 5-minute cameos is not going to show us anything. I'm not saying all youth will become Premier league players but until they get a fair crack how will we know.
Granted if Liverpool didn't have so many injuries, I doubt very much any of the four would make it into the match day squad. But the desperate way we try to stay on the coat tails of the "big six" only lends itself to knackering are starting lineup and becoming more frequent losing them to injuries. and as every Hammer knows if Bowen or Paqueta get injured we are absolutely dire to watch.
True but I look at the youth game vs Wycombe and I look at the 76 mins Mubama played v Bristol City and I think the technical quality is there but they look too lightweight.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:27 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:23 pm

Physical development is part of the process obviously. But not everybody develops at the same rate which is why certain players are able to excel at first team level in their late teens and others need more mtime. Moreover I believe most of the Liverpool youngsters who have featured in recent games have spent time away from the club on loan, rather than their Under 21 side.

Highlighting Mubama's lack of success when he has featured for the first team simply illustrates the same issues that Ings has faced when played in a similar role and , like Mubama, has failed. I also believe he would have benefited from a loan spell in League One or Two before being thrust into the first team. In fact I think that yardstick would probably apply to the majority of youn g players at all clubs. Exposure to grown up football is something young players benefit from far more easily in most European countries where "B" teams play within the national league structure.
My point was just that these kids have only really played 6 months of anything over u18 football.
I agree about loaning players but I don't agree that Mubama had the same issues as Ings. Ings is just not quick enough now whereas Mubama makes the right runs but is too easily shrugged off the ball. He was bullied by Bristol City's centre halves when playing nearly the whole game against them.
We do need to loan him out and it should be to a L1 club as Marshall is finding it tough at a Championship club because he is not physically developed yet and so is not getting the minutes to help him become so.

You only have to watch our u21 play the Wycombe mens team to see how easily they are bullied. I think Freddie Potts and Gideon Kodua are probably learning a lot and developing and are likely a way ahead of Mubama and Marshall at the moment.
Potts is no doubt learning a lot from playing but as far as I'm aware Kodua hasn't seen any action for them. I don't follow their progress chapter and verse but I do often check the line ups and he doesn't seem to feature, even on the bench.. Little or no point sending the kids out to a level where they won't get pitch time which is why I believe incorporating B teams somehow into the pyramid set up would benefit players. The old Football Combination was a good bridge between youth and senior football but since it's demise that particular pathway has been shut down.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Bring back Jonathon !

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

h69 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:04 pm

We've played Mubama a couple of times, how do you think he fared ?

As for Marshall, maybe there is a reason he is on the bench at WBA. I believe Liverpool's debutants have all played in their u21 side for a couple of years. Ours have only for 6 months. They just need to physically develop a bit more.
Physical development is part of the process obviously. But not everybody develops at the same rate which is why certain players are able to excel at first team level in their late teens and others need more mtime. Moreover I believe most of the Liverpool youngsters who have featured in recent games have spent time away from the club on loan, rather than their Under 21 side.

Highlighting Mubama's lack of success when he has featured for the first team simply illustrates the same issues that Ings has faced when played in a similar role and , like Mubama, has failed. I also believe he would have benefited from a loan spell in League One or Two before being thrust into the first team. In fact I think that yardstick would probably apply to the majority of youn g players at all clubs. Exposure to grown up football is something young players benefit from far more easily in most European countries where "B" teams play within the national league structure.
"Moreover I believe most of the Liverpool youngsters who have featured in recent games have spent time away from the club on loan, rather than their Under 21 side" .

Not sure thats completely accurate Whisky , I cannot find any information stating that Jayden Danns , Lewis Koumas , Bobby Clark , James McConnell , Ben Doak ,have been out on loan , Harvey Elliott only went out for 6 months to Blackburn , and Jarell Quansah spent 4 months at Bristol Rovers .
Even the likes of Curtis Jones has never been out on loan . Luck or a quirk of fate that these youngsters appear mature and good enough to play for one of the better teams around even with all their injuries and still compete in the best league in the world .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 am

"Moreover I believe most of the Liverpool youngsters who have featured in recent games have spent time away from the club on loan, rather than their Under 21 side" .

Not sure thats completely accurate Whisky , I cannot find any information stating that Jayden Danns , Lewis Koumas , Bobby Clark , James McConnell , Ben Doak ,have been out on loan , Harvey Elliott only went out for 6 months to Blackburn , and Jarell Quansah spent 4 months at Bristol Rovers .
Even the likes of Curtis Jones has never been out on loan . Luck or a quirk of fate that these youngsters appear mature and good enough to play for one of the better teams around even with all their injuries and still compete in the best league in the world .
Fair comment. Although when I posted that I hadn't evcen heard of Koumas and Danns who certainly burst onto the scene last night. :lol: I was thinking more of Conor Bradley, Quansah and Elliott. Credit certainly has to be given to Klopp for the way he trusts these kids , and in key matches as well.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 am
Clayton wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 am

Fair comment. Although when I posted that I hadn't evcen heard of Koumas and Danns who certainly burst onto the scene last night. :lol: I was thinking more of Conor Bradley, Quansah and Elliott. Credit certainly has to be given to Klopp for the way he trusts these kids , and in key matches as well.
Found that Conor Bradley went out on loan to Bolton for approx 10 months Oct 22 / May 23 .