Lopegetui agreed to become our next manager.

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Lopegetui agreed to become our next manager.

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:29 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:33 pm

Steidten's got one hell of a job on his hands renovating that fucking squad tbh. Let's hope the bloke proves to be as good as his reputation.

And you're right about backing the new man. Pisses me off when I read and see shit on various social media sites already saying he's the wrong choice and suchlike. If he fucks up he fucks up. But let's deal with that if and when it happens not before the poor cunt has even put his arse down on the chair FFS.
Totally agree, I am basing my assessment of Lopetegui on his season at Wolves, where let’s us say the goals scored column was averaging a goal a game, doesn’t smack of entertainment to me. However he is apparently on Bayern’s & AC Milan shortlist so that says to me he has some pedigree.

I wonder if Moyes will ever be on Bayerns and Milan’s shortlist? I fucking doubt it.
Can he handle one of those big sit-on lawnmowers ? If not there's always a retraining program. You never know.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:50 pm Underwhelming is an understatement.
More fool me for believing that A. Steidten would be recruiting the new manager/head coach and B. that it would be a young progressive exciting up and coming appointment .
I wanted an appointment that would actually progress us as a club , improve our standing in the general scheme of things and make us more attractive to top class players .

Loppy has never over achieved anywhere he has been , he’s only ever achieved what would have been expected of any competent manager or coach at his previous gigs .

In fact , and this fucking hurts to say , but David Moyes has achieved more in his tenure at West Ham than Loppy has at ANY of his previous clubs put together .
Not true. Not often Towie and I agree on something but I think his post nails it tbh. Moyes has never won the Europa League. I'm not going to undervalue our Conference win but the Europa League is a far sterner challenge. True it is Lopetegui's only club trophy byt he has only managed a fraction of club games compared to Moyes so the compaeison is a bit skewed. And I think he also won the European Charity Shield thing with Sevilla if you're prepared to count that as a trophy. ;)

As for Steidten's involvement, my information which I am more inclined to believe than the social media rumour mill, is that he is happy enough with the appointment although Amorim was his number one choice. Lopetegui was, I understand, one of the "back up" oiptions Steidten suggested. True or not ? Fuck knows, I wasn't in the room. But I'm more inclined to believe my two sources of info than some of the social media cowboys who have done more about turns than a fucking marching band when it comes to Moyes staying or going and the appointment of his replacement.

As for Lopetegui never over achieving anywhare ? Has Guardiola ever "over achieved" anywhere ? And just to keep you interested one of my snippets of info is that there is still a small amount of optimism that "another candidate", probably Amorim, will still agree to join. That is probably bollocks btw, and in any case my opinion of Lopetegui would go down if he accepted a job only after waiting for some other geezer to turn it down.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am
Newmarket wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:50 pm Underwhelming is an understatement.
More fool me for believing that A. Steidten would be recruiting the new manager/head coach and B. that it would be a young progressive exciting up and coming appointment .
I wanted an appointment that would actually progress us as a club , improve our standing in the general scheme of things and make us more attractive to top class players .

Loppy has never over achieved anywhere he has been , he’s only ever achieved what would have been expected of any competent manager or coach at his previous gigs .

In fact , and this fucking hurts to say , but David Moyes has achieved more in his tenure at West Ham than Loppy has at ANY of his previous clubs put together .
Not true. Not often Towie and I agree on something but I think his post nails it tbh. Moyes has never won the Europa League. I'm not going to undervalue our Conference win but the Europa League is a far sterner challenge. True it is Lopetegui's only club trophy byt he has only managed a fraction of club games compared to Moyes so the compaeison is a bit skewed. And I think he also won the European Charity Shield thing with Sevilla if you're prepared to count that as a trophy. ;)

As for Steidten's involvement, my information which I am more inclined to believe than the social media rumour mill, is that he is happy enough with the appointment although Amorim was his number one choice. Lopetegui was, I understand, one of the "back up" oiptions Steidten suggested. True or not ? Fuck knows, I wasn't in the room. But I'm more inclined to believe my two sources of info than some of the social media cowboys who have done more about turns than a fucking marching band when it comes to Moyes staying or going and the appointment of his replacement.

As for Lopetegui never over achieving anywhare ? Has Guardiola ever "over achieved" anywhere ? And just to keep you interested one of my snippets of info is that there is still a small amount of optimism that "another candidate", probably Amorim, will still agree to join. That is probably bollocks btw, and in any case my opinion of Lopetegui would go down if he accepted a job only after waiting for some other geezer to turn it down.
Whether or not you think Lopetegui’s Europa win , with mainly a squad inherited by Unai Emery, is more of an achievement than Moyes’s conference win is a matter of opinion .
Your quite correct Guardiola has always been in charge of teams fully expected to win trophies . Do you reckon he’d achieve anything inheriting our squad ?
No me neither and they reckon he’s the greatest coach to improve players ever .
But Loppy failed in a 2 horse race at Porto and controversy has followed him wherever he’s been and is not exactly famous for hanging around when the chips are down .

I’ve actually warmed to him a tad since yesterday and was quite impressed with what Guillame Ballague had to say on the West Ham network .
Say what you like about HIM but he’s a highly regarded expert on Spanish football even though Wolves fans have some rather less complimentary things to say about him and his relationship with Loppy .

I also wonder what Loppy will make of Sullivan’s interference and undermining which will surely happpen too.
Bring back Jonathon !

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

The only good thing is with him is when things go tits up he does not hang about, unlike Moyes who should have resigned months ago, but has hung on for his final cheque in the post.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am

Whether or not you think Lopetegui’s Europa win , with mainly a squad inherited by Unai Emery, is more of an achievement than Moyes’s conference win is a matter of opinion .
Yes, it was a largely inherited squad. But how many times have we seen inherited squads tank when a different manager takes over ? Winning either European trophy is commendable. I mentioned it only because the Europa League is widely accepted to be the harder one to win.
Newmarket wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm Your quite correct Guardiola has always been in charge of teams fully expected to win trophies . Do you reckon he’d achieve anything inheriting our squad ?
No me neither and they reckon he’s the greatest coach to improve players ever .
As it happens I think SOME of the players we have would be improved under Guardiola. The better ones. I read a piece by Thomas Muller talking about Pep's time at Bayern, generally regarded as a failure because the CL wasn't delivered, and Muller said that every player who worked un der him at Bayern said their individual performances had improved. But I take your point that most of our squad are like old dogs who can't be taught new tricks.

Newmarket wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm But Loppy failed in a 2 horse race at Porto and controversy has followed him wherever he’s been and is not exactly famous for hanging around when the chips are down .
Controversy ? Doesn't hang around when the chips are down ? Don't see that tbh. When he was sacked from the Spanish job he was only under contract until the end of the World Cup anyway wasn't he ? So I don't really see there should be a problem announciung his new job tbh. Obviously the Spanish F A felt differently. And I don't see any instances of him not hanging around when the chips are down. He quit the Wolves job because, apparently, the promised transfer budget suddenly wasn't there any more which as far as I'm concerned is a valid reason for quitting, And the other jobs he's held he was sackjed from. He didn't quit.
Newmarket wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm I’ve actually warmed to him a tad since yesterday and was quite impressed with what Guillame Ballague had to say on the West Ham network .
Say what you like about HIM but he’s a highly regarded expert on Spanish football even though Wolves fans have some rather less complimentary things to say about him and his relationship with Loppy .
I also wonder what Loppy will make of Sullivan’s interference and undermining which will surely happpen too.
I think we all wonder how he will react should the dwarf start poking his nose into coaching issues. I also wonder the same thing about Steidten, except for coaching read recruitment. But I think if either were to quit because of interference it would show principle rather than a tendency to quit when the chips are down. I haven't read the Guillem Balague piece yet but I rate the blokle as a journo and pundit. Used to watch him regularly when Revista de La Liga was a must view program on Sky. Did you know he is chairman of Biggleswade United by the way ?

garnett

Post by garnett »

I watched the same, Guillem Balague knows his spanish onions, changed my perspective, can`t be worse than what we have been watching.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Not a good watch , wasn't keen when we were linked with Lopegetui months ago , but was starting to warm to him of late , but not after watching Geo talking to Wolves fans . :? :cry:
Though I quess we'll just have to get behind him if he gets the job .

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

West Ham are in re-shuffle in the recruitment area as Rob Newman is leaving after 3 years as Julen Lopegetui incoming and wants to bring his own staff in. Tim Steidten will be in charge of the recruitment and Loppy has already made plans a few months ago with West Ham to make the squad better. Youngster Freddie Potts quoted on Evening Standard interview that he is looking forward and ready to play next season and hope few other youngers will features.

I do hope these transfers won't be complicated or wasting too much time trying to fiddle out a deal like in last couple of transfer windows and I am sure that Loppy is not as stubborn as Moyes in getting his players in.

All I hope things will get better for next season.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

Ibbyham wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:53 pm West Ham are in re-shuffle in the recruitment area as Rob Newman is leaving after 3 years as Julen Lopegetui incoming and wants to bring his own staff in. Tim Steidten will be in charge of the recruitment and Loppy has already made plans a few months ago with West Ham to make the squad better. Youngster Freddie Potts quoted on Evening Standard interview that he is looking forward and ready to play next season and hope few other youngers will features.

I do hope these transfers won't be complicated or wasting too much time trying to fiddle out a deal like in last couple of transfer windows and I am sure that Loppy is not as stubborn as Moyes in getting his players in.

Absolutely IBBY .
If he takes a genuine interest in the likes of Earthy ..Orford..Potts ..and a returning Downes...he'll be off to a very positive start for me.
Scarles could suit him as well.
The best of our youth mixed with a few of experienced quality...and 2/3 highly rated clever 'punts'. Ala Kudus and Alvarez.

It's going to be a fascinating transfer window ..and how we go about it will tell us a lot.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

normannomates wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:53 pm West Ham are in re-shuffle in the recruitment area as Rob Newman is leaving after 3 years as Julen Lopegetui incoming and wants to bring his own staff in. Tim Steidten will be in charge of the recruitment and Loppy has already made plans a few months ago with West Ham to make the squad better. Youngster Freddie Potts quoted on Evening Standard interview that he is looking forward and ready to play next season and hope few other youngers will features.

Absolutely IBBY .
If he takes a genuine interest in the likes of Earthy ..Orford..Potts ..and a returning Downes...he'll be off to a very positive start for me.
Scarles could suit him as well.
The best of our youth mixed with a few of experienced quality...and 2/3 highly rated clever 'punts'. Ala Kudus and Alvarez.

It's going to be a fascinating transfer window ..and how we go about it will tell us a lot.
Lopegetui knows what wrong with West Ham and he knows what he, his staff wants to do.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.