Armchair Managers and Players

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: Armchair Managers and Players

Post by mkhammer »

marksb wrote:I, like most of you, have been a little concerned about the start to the season.

I hear people state that we don't have a plan B or we should play this or that formation and we should buy this player or that player.

We have as a team bought, Hart (30), Zabaleta (32), Chicharito (29), Arnautovic (28), Sead (18). I had my doubts over Zabaleta due to his age (pace) and Arnautovic due to his attitude. These are players coming to the end of their careers and lets be honest, it's their last big pay day.

What concerns me as an Armchair Manager is the fitness of team, Formation (do we know our right one) and the age of some of our players who are getting first team starts.

Ginger Pele is too old for the PL, he was excellent against Cheltenham and maybe that's his level. He doesn't have the reaction time or pace to deal with forwards in the PL.

The game against Newcastle we started with 4 players over 30, 2 at 29 and 28, 1 at 27, 21 and 18. take the two younger players away, the average age of the team was almost 30, which isn't acceptable.

We should be buying players in their prime, not those about to retire. The Carvalho type of signing is what we should be aiming for! If we are going to sign players of this quality, we must stop pissing about, show some ambition and pay the fee that the selling club wants! Yes negotiate, but ultimately if they aren't moving on the price, you either pay the price or end all interest.

The number of players we have of 30 or over in the squad, 2 of them are 34 FFS, we have 9 players who are 28 or 29, 2 who are in the range of 25 to 27, 3 from 22 to 24 and 3 under 22. Personally, I would like more players n the 25 to 27 range.

Not sure if it's just me, but I don't believe we are as a team fit enough, we seem to tire and concede too many goals later in the matches.

We have been leaking goals for some time, not just last season, but in the later games of Bilic's first season and as a club we haven't really done much to prevent this happening this season. We need players that can not only block and tackle, but can read the game, pass the ball and doesn't fuckabout when the pressure is on.

Are we too pedestrian when passing the ball around the back and to midfield. In my humble opinion, we are doing this far too slowly, movement to accept the ball or create space in non-existent or not done a pace. We need to start a game with more pace and try and be positive.

This is far too late, but I believe we need to retire, Collins, Fonte and possibly Zabaleta or at the very least have them on the bench or play in certain cup games.

We need to recruit at least 1 central defender, 1 defensive or creative midfielder (I would prefer both) and a Striker.

What would I do with Bilic, personally I think he is a good man, but not too sure of his tactics or training methods, as players seem unfit. Would I sack him, not until I had someone on the sidelines to take over. Question is who would I get, the obvious one is Benitez, however, I would look at someone like Eddie Howe, he is tactically aware and has done wonders with Bournemouth with his limited budget.

My favoured formation is 4 1 3 1 1. We need to press the ball further up the pitch on not sit back and invite the opposition onto us.

What would you do?
Cracking post mate,loads of great points,we're desperate for a Kante type player in MF,
also when we can't pair up Reid and Ogbonna in central,we need to go to a 3 at the back,we
definitely seem better defensively the 5 across the middle squeezes things up,and stops sides
playing thru us,I feel.
We miss Reidy hugely when not available.
Agree way to slow moving ball thru midfield,its OK sometimes but not all the time, as we do,
absolutely no pace when breaking.
Said somewhere else bout Slav,personally would give him to Christmas,see where we are then..

PS...Fitness levels...something not right there mate agree...

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

marksb wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:I have been concerned for longer than the start of the season, for a while now I have felt as a team we are like a non swimmer in the ocean slowly being dragged out by the current. Surviving mainly because we had enough power in the legs to push our heads above water and gasp for air.

We have debated who has bought it's even been pointed out that Bilic this season has got most, if not all on his wish list. Now whether that refers to positions filled, players wanted or both remains the question. Those two are a bit economical with the facts.

What does appear to me, and correct me if I am wrong, we are buying for today and not for the future promised. And I know this is part of Sullivans mindset as I have heard words to that effect come from his mouth. A man who speaks dreams but doesn't have the balls to reach for them.

What would I do as an armchair manager.Well what I wouldn't have done is brought in Hart. Signed Zabeleta or even continued with Noble as a starter.

I like 4 at the back, but being a defender myself I feel more comfortable with numbers.( no not that one.) our problem is 2 are slow.
and agedd so I wouldn't be playing Zabe and Ginge together.

The four at back you got a choice.
Ogbonna
Reid
Kouyate
Cresswell
Rice
Zab
Byram
Collins
Masuaku

I actually dislike our defensive choices for two reasons or maybe3. The first being that already mentioned, the second being that to make use if some of them you are almost forced to go for 3 at the back due to not only their abilities but the deficiencies in others.

So biting the Bullet I would go

..................Adrian.................
Zabeleta.....kouyate....Reid......ogbonna
...........Rice...........Obiang.........
Antonio........Arnautavic...........Lanzini
..................Hernandez...................

I am still having problems on the right defense, What they say? We got it sorted. But have we really?! All we did was get an ageinng slow RB with a name for free and called it solving the defensive problems. Now if we could incorporate Byram and Zab as one then I would be happy.

No doubt later on in the day, after giving it more thought I will realize what an arse I've been and opt for a different format. But at least you got something to pick at. And it will educate me further.
I would rather see this

Hart/Adrian (Hart is vocal and marshalls his defenders well)

Byram (young and gets up and down the right and gets to the byline more than others)
Rice
Reid/Ogbonna
Creswell/Masuaku

Kouyate just in front of the defenders

Antonio
Noble/Obiang
Arnautovic

Lanzini

Hernandez
Well that's not so bad. Still feel dodgey with Hart in goal. More than I do when Adrians there , but that might pass given its based also on his recent past. Byram needs to work on his deliveries and he's not exactly solid in defence. Guess it really all boils down to the lesser of two evils. Byram with pace and some ability to defend and at times maybe caught wanting. Or Zabeleta who could defend if he had the pace and because he lacks it is more likely to cost us 5 or 6 points more than Byram
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

marksb wrote:
irishhammer wrote:good post, but why no mention of noble?
Noble isn't mentioned by name as we haven't bought him recently, he is home grown. He is in the 30 and over list.

Question is; do I think he is good enough? YES, however:

He needs to be more consistent, but I am not sure if that's down to the shape of the team or what Slaven has asked him to do.

The shape of the team needs to change to see Noble at his best, or he needs to be restricted in the amount of ground he covers. this will ensure he lasts 90mins plus and we maintain shape should we lose the ball.

What would you do Irish?
That is a reply I am eagerly awaiting
Bring back Jonathon !

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

Call up Liam brady
Covid in the Boardroom

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Good insight about the Age thing Mark,and subsequent responses (except the Irish fellah! :)

How infrequent is any link up between our attacking players?

When do you see a pass followed by movement into a space to get the return? An essential part of the game yet almost entirely missing from "The West Ham Way"

It's got to be about the tactics. Sam chose not to risk it, and now Bilic hasn't the nous to get the right players and then set up a balanced 11.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Why don't we try playing with the old style sweeper system? I think this formation is going to make a comeback in the very near future. We have good defenders they are just not quick enough and are constantly let down by our underperforming midfield who seem to allow the opposition to cut through them willy nilly thus putting continuous pressure on our able but tiring defenders. By using a sweeper, maybe Rice or Kouyate both quick defenders they are able to compensate the lack of pace in our center backs by working behind them rather than in front and allow a more attacking midfield to be selected.