4-3-3 formation

Chat about anything football related here!
MitchFY66

4-3-3 formation

Post by MitchFY66 »

Yes we won, which is great. But what a toothless performance that was. And why was it so? That fuc*in* 4-3-3 formation! Having 3 holding midfielders at home to Bournemouth is just unnecessarily negative. I know we didn't have many options today (due to injury), but surely we would have been better off going 4-4-2 with Valencia and Calleri/Fletcher up front? I hate the 4-3-3, hated it last season too. I can sort of understand it when we play teams like Chelsea away, but at home to Bournemouth you just can't justify it.

I don't want to sound too negative, of course I'm chuffed to bits about snatching all 3 points. However, that was far from the reassuring performance us fans needed. Hoping it can kick us into gear and give us some confidence though.
Last edited by MitchFY66 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

H4L

Re: 4-4-3 formation

Post by H4L »

Not the formation as opposed to some players not brig that good for. Not matter what formation you play if Valencia is upfront and Nordvet is holding the midfield.

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

MitchFY66 wrote:Yes we won, which is great. But what a toothless performance that was. And why was it so? That fuc*in* 4-4-3 formation! Having 3 holding midfielders at home to Bournemouth is just unnecessarily negative. I know we didn't have many options today (due to injury), but surely we would have been better off going 4-4-2 with Valencia and Calleri/Fletcher up front? I hate the 4-3-3, hated it last season too. I can sort of understand it when we play teams like Chelsea away, but at home to Bournemouth you just can't justify it.

I don't want to sound too negative, of course I'm chuffed to bits about snatching all 3 points. However, that was far from the reassuring performance us fans needed. Hoping it can kick us into gear and give us some confidence though.

Getting 3 points in our first ever premium game in our new home is massive.

Said in another topic, we do not have a striker who can play up front on their own. We must be playing 4 4 2
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

blackcountryhammer

Re : 4-4-3 formation

Post by blackcountryhammer »

4 4 3 would mean a extra man for us so I'm for it, not sure about the premier league though, might wanna check ya formation numbers lol

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 »

Who can we put in the hole behind the striker?

I think the idea was Kouyote and Nobes made forward runs with the full backs as Nordie was playing holding midfield. The plan was to outnumber their midfield, worked in the first half they didn't get a sniff but we simply lacked quality going forward.

I expect us to play a similar formation next weekend but I don't see how we can get a result without an attacking threat, we will take a point away to City I imagine.

GoldenFM

Post by GoldenFM »

If we go to a classic 4-4-2 where does Payet play? On the left? He would be more withdrawn and less dangerous, plus he isn't great at tracking back so it would leave our left back exposed. He is great on the left in a 4-3-3- as he is pushed further forward and can cut in like an inside forward.

How about we try a 4-4-1-1 with Payet behind a main striker like Calleri (or Bony if we get him)? Payet can play in a free role and drift wherever he wants then, out wide if he wishes or stay central and put through balls into a striker. Antonio can play on the right with Tore on the left. If we need a goal we can throw on a big striker (Carroll when fit or Fletcher) to play up alongside the other striker and revert to a classic 4-4-2.

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 »

GoldenFM wrote:If we go to a classic 4-4-2 where does Payet play? On the left? He would be more withdrawn and less dangerous, plus he isn't great at tracking back so it would leave our left back exposed. He is great on the left in a 4-3-3- as he is pushed further forward and can cut in like an inside forward.

How about we try a 4-4-1-1 with Payet behind a main striker like Calleri (or Bony if we get him)? Payet can play in a free role and drift wherever he wants then, out wide if he wishes or stay central and put through balls into a striker. Antonio can play on the right with Tore on the left. If we need a goal we can throw on a big striker (Carroll when fit or Fletcher) to play up alongside the other striker and revert to a classic 4-4-2.
Payet played on the left for pretty much the whole of last season. Bilic even said live on air at the Euros that Payet's preferred position is the left- wing, where he does occasionally drift in and out

GoldenFM

Post by GoldenFM »

MitchFY66 wrote:
GoldenFM wrote:If we go to a classic 4-4-2 where does Payet play? On the left? He would be more withdrawn and less dangerous, plus he isn't great at tracking back so it would leave our left back exposed. He is great on the left in a 4-3-3- as he is pushed further forward and can cut in like an inside forward.

Payet played on the left for pretty much the whole of last season. Bilic even said live on air at the Euros that Payet's preferred position is the left- wing, where he does occasionally drift in and out
I know that, and I agree he is best there. But he is best there in a 4-3-3, not a 4-4-2. In a traditional 4-4-2 the wide players play deeper and I don't think Payet suits that. If we play an attacking 4-4-2 (effectively a 4-2-4) then it would be fine. I just don't see Payet tracking back though which is why I think he only suits being a left winger in a 4-3-3 and not a 4-4-2.

Post by 1234 »

Our problem is not formation it is pace.
We need to move the ball a lot, lot quicker and require some pace up front.

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 »

Only just realised that I made a series of typos here :shock: Of course I mean. 433 not 443 ahhahahah :lol: glad you lot haven't ripped me over it