America burns

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
terrya1965

Re: America burns

Post by terrya1965 »

JayK wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 pm Wife and I were talking to one of her old work colleagues today. Black guy, nice bloke. He is also of the opinion that bame, LGBT (or whatever it's called) and disabled people are more likely to get a promotion these days than someone more able and qualified for the role due to percentage targets for diverse workforce having to be met.
But also if your face don't fit, you still don't get the job. He's now contemplating coming out to give himself a better chance of a promotion as recently an Asian less able and qualified recently got a job he was apparently earmarked for. Obviously Asian box not quite ticked in that particular workplace.

Just thought you'd like to know 😄
Oh yeah,you do get the advantage if you are BAME,Gay,Trans or Disabled...I said this to a fella who was arguing about BLM with me..I said,if you and I went for a job tomorrow and we had similar qualifications,you would get the job...I told him,I should be the one complaining,not you? :x

JayK

Post by JayK »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:09 pm
JayK wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 pm Wife and I were talking to one of her old work colleagues today. Black guy, nice bloke. He is also of the opinion that bame, LGBT (or whatever it's called) and disabled people are more likely to get a promotion these days than someone more able and qualified for the role due to percentage targets for diverse workforce having to be met.
But also if your face don't fit, you still don't get the job. He's now contemplating coming out to give himself a better chance of a promotion as recently an Asian less able and qualified recently got a job he was apparently earmarked for. Obviously Asian box not quite ticked in that particular workplace.

Just thought you'd like to know 😄
Oh yeah,you do get the advantage if you are BAME,Gay,Trans or Disabled...I said this to a fella who was arguing about BLM with me..I said,if you and I went for a job tomorrow and we had similar qualifications,you would get the job...I told him,I should be the one complaining,not you? :x
Yep. It's all this positive correctness getting worse and worse as the years go on
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

JayK wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Yep. It's all this positive correctness getting worse and worse as the years go on
My son, who's 18 and white, got his grades on Friday. He did bloody well. One more year at college then he'll be looking for an apprenticeship or a job elsewhere. He's studying IT.

But be honest, what fucking chance has he got ?

Tbh, and I'm not being unkind to him, he's not a social animal and the lockdown has been no problem at all for him. Every day he's on his pc with his equally like-minded mates playing computer games. He's a bit of a nerd. So having no job won't, I don't think, be an issue for him.

But the point is, he's completely the wrong socio-economic / ethnicity type to prosper in Bojo's new Britain as a large proportion of firms in that particular field will now be bending over backwards to employ black or Asian youngsters for fear of being targeted.

JayK

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:57 am
JayK wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 pm

My son, who's 18 and white, got his grades on Friday. He did bloody well. One more year at college then he'll be looking for an apprenticeship or a job elsewhere. He's studying IT.

Tbh, and I'm not being unkind to him, he's not a social animal and the lockdown has been no problem at all for him. Every day he's on his pc with his equally like-minded mates playing computer games. He's a bit of a nerd. So having no job won't, I don't think, be an issue for him.

But the point is, he's completely the wrong socio-economic / ethnicity type to prosper in Bojo's new Britain as a large proportion of firms in that particular field will now be bending over backwards to employ black or Asian youngsters for fear of being targeted.
Exactly that mate. And a lot of I.T jobs are sub contracted to India too. Kids these days probably better off getting into a trade. Don't see a lot in the world of electricians and plumbers etc.
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

JayK wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:26 am

Exactly that mate. And a lot of I.T jobs are sub contracted to India too. Kids these days probably better off getting into a trade. Don't see a lot in the world of electricians and plumbers etc.
And the kids in America (silicon valley) programmers,coders careers are over by 35 and are rotated back into the world. Their places having being taken by the Asians who work for considerably less and are prepared to work considerably longer hours.

The Asians have a huge work ethic and spend hundreds of hours learning IT disciplines in boot camps back in their own country. Study for 12 hours a day,6 days a week in 10 week blocks. That would take an IT aware person from novice to developer standards using something like Python Sever/Client side programming. And the available pool of people is massive so that drives up competition.

Some people in the UK think a one week course 30 hours is sufficient...and then they find later...ah,it's not.

But all is not lost - you can easily become competent with say 100 hours training under your belt. At a push 140 hrs. Then all you need is a bit of positive attitude mixed with interview technique and most people in that situation will do fine.

And what is remarkable about the whole phenomena - we call work - is a lot of people would give up at the thought of devoting 100+ hours to learn anything...and that is exactly where a diligent person gets their edge.

So what we observe is the Asians getting on and taking our opportunities under our noses. But it's not because they are smarter, it's because they invest more of their personal time available to them to become market useful.

palerider

Post by palerider »

It's looking that way Jay.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Plumbing,that`what my son is doing at College

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

That’s right . All the sparkies & plumbers are Eastern European .

Except Gonzo of course . He’s a Mexican Bandit.
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:59 pm

That’s right . All the sparkies & plumbers are Eastern European .

Except Gonzo of course . He’s a Mexican Bandit.
😂😂
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 am

And the kids in America (silicon valley) programmers,coders careers are over by 35 and are rotated back into the world. Their places having being taken by the Asians who work for considerably less and are prepared to work considerably longer hours.

The Asians have a huge work ethic and spend hundreds of hours learning IT disciplines in boot camps back in their own country. Study for 12 hours a day,6 days a week in 10 week blocks. That would take an IT aware person from novice to developer standards using something like Python Sever/Client side programming. And the available pool of people is massive so that drives up competition.

Some people in the UK think a one week course 30 hours is sufficient...and then they find later...ah,it's not.

But all is not lost - you can easily become competent with say 100 hours training under your belt. At a push 140 hrs. Then all you need is a bit of positive attitude mixed with interview technique and most people in that situation will do fine.

And what is remarkable about the whole phenomena - we call work - is a lot of people would give up at the thought of devoting 100+ hours to learn anything...and that is exactly where a diligent person gets their edge.

So what we observe is the Asians getting on and taking our opportunities under our noses. But it's not because they are smarter, it's because they invest more of their personal time available to them to become market useful.
Fair point there BD. A lot of Asians work ethic is far beyond a lot of others. My mate has a girlfriend who is Asian. They both had 2 daughters each with previous partners. My mates ex is greek. The difference between the 2 pairs of girls is quite staggering. The Asian daughters are expected to put study before absolutely everything but consequently lack the social skills compared to the other 2. The other 2 ain't thick but have had a more balanced upbringing. The Asiab girls will no doubt be smart and probably earning well when they get into work though.
COYI!!!