Newport County v West Ham United Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
IronsForever

Re: Newport County v West Ham United Official Match Thread

Post by IronsForever »

h69 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm
IronsForever wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:08 pm Looks like Antonio has done a Hammy. This is why you don,t start the game with your best players.What is wrong with Holland or even letting fredericks play right wing? The season before last we lost Arnie , Lanzini and Obiang through cup games against lower leagues.Was it necessary to play Antonio tonight ?
He is not a starter for the first team so sensible he got some minutes. Trouble with players like him with explosive pace is they are always likely to do this but he should look at his warm up routine.

From where I was it looked like a really bad one. If he's torn it bad it could be 2-3 months.
I just think risking players on these bumpy shit pitches who are key players for us against this opposition is walking a tightrope. Did you see the guy stamp on Fornals foot? I bet he never did much in training today.
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

h69

Post by h69 »

Stamping can happen at any level and is nothing to do with the pitch.

If we dont play the first team and we dont play the second string like last night then who do we play ? The u18s ?

Do that and get hammered 3-0 like we did at Forest doing that and we get the melt down that we are not taking things seriously. You cant win.

I know some dont care about the league cup but I do as its one of only 2 trophies we can realistically win and the pitch wasn't that bad. If these players can only play on snooker table like pitches then the game is fucked.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Bet Sky are gutted but fuck em
Played ok ,bit too much fucking about but got the result.
Some nasty challenges that went unpunished
But except that from lower league sides and snowflake refs.
Antonio an overweight sprinter, accident waiting to happen oh well
Onwards and upwards.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

IronsForever wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am
Clayton wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am Cant say I was overly impressed last night with the win but very thankful , all be it against a very good tier 4 side doing ok in their division . All I can say is thank god Antonio got his injury :( and Anderson was brought on because he made the difference . They could have been 2 up by then if they had someone on the pitch who could of put their chances away . Wilshere had some nice touches ( just hope this isn't his level now ) Fornals needs more time on the pitch and it showed , Ajeti on his first start could and should of scored a couple , time will tell really needs game time , but I liked what I saw of him . Our fullbacks are atrocious , doubt they would get games in a championship side now , neither can cross , defensively inept , Zabaletas footballing brain is no more and kept getting found out for lack of pace with his poor positioning . Sanchez though he did ok at times against Newport is a very poor substitute for Rice his passing is poor think he probably passed to the opposition far to many times :( , just hope Rice never gets a injury . Diop was a accident waiting to happen the 1st half , but did improve in the second half , why that was is beyond me as he is a quality defender as is Balbuena . Snodgrass was shite when we got him and still is , never a premiership player for a team hoping to improve , really do not know why a youngster wasn't given a chance . Roberto did what he had to between the sticks and kept us in the game by just being their .
Can you believe how inadequate our crossing is? How hard is it to cross a ball and go over the first defender and not clear everyone?
I was more concerned that, typically, we were always lumping the ball in the air and not using the more intelligent approach of trying to play it on the ground to give our players a better chance against those lumbering great centre backs Newport had. Ajeti, when the ball was given to his feet, looked a bit decent so why bombard him with high balls ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

boxman

Post by boxman »

fuck sake

thats going to cost us quite a few points, massive loss

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm
IronsForever wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am

Can you believe how inadequate our crossing is? How hard is it to cross a ball and go over the first defender and not clear everyone?
I was more concerned that, typically, we were always lumping the ball in the air and not using the more intelligent approach of trying to play it on the ground to give our players a better chance against those lumbering great centre backs Newport had. Ajeti, when the ball was given to his feet, looked a bit decent so why bombard him with high balls ?
Really. I thought we played too much ticky tacky ball on the ground....lots of triangles and not enough direct balls and gave the ball away a few too many times.

h69

Post by h69 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:19 pm Antonio an overweight sprinter, accident waiting to happen oh well
Before I agree but now I think he is more overdeveloped....as in spends too much time building musclemass at the gym.

You are right though, it will always end in tears

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

IronsForever wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:03 pm
h69 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm

He is not a starter for the first team so sensible he got some minutes. Trouble with players like him with explosive pace is they are always likely to do this but he should look at his warm up routine.

From where I was it looked like a really bad one. If he's torn it bad it could be 2-3 months.
I just think risking players on these bumpy shit pitches who are key players for us against this opposition is walking a tightrope. Did you see the guy stamp on Fornals foot? I bet he never did much in training today.
It's a balancing act. The plan was to protect the important assets - although Anderson had to be called up - and still field enough quality to win the match.

Antonio was unfortunate however that lad really pushes himself to the max. Anderson is a quick player but I gauge he operates within himself and doesn't risk the type of muscle over load that Antonio is prepared to test.

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:19 pm Bet Sky are gutted but fuck em
Played ok ,bit too much fucking about but got the result.
Some nasty challenges that went unpunished
But except that from lower league sides and snowflake refs.
Antonio an overweight sprinter, accident waiting to happen oh well
Onwards and upwards.
Very blasé to just "oh well" the loss of Antonio, will leave a significant 3+ month hole in the squad
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Really. I thought we played too much ticky tacky ball on the ground....lots of triangles and not enough direct balls and gave the ball away a few too many times.
Playing on the ground doesn't have to be ticky tacky as you put it. Intelligent movement off the ball is the key. Newport's great lummoxes in defence will deal with aimless high, direct, balls into the area most of the time. It's food and drink to them. I agree we did give the ball away too often, but, imo, that's mainly due to carelessness and ineptitude. Nothing to do with the style of football. Most of our "direct" balls ended up on an opponent's head anyway.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?