F1, 2020

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

Re: F1, 2020

Post by Noni »

Neville Bartos wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 am I don't think I'd be too keen to put my faith in McLaren. They jumped out of their deal with Honda way too early instead of toughing it out. Now Red Bull are reaping the benefits.
Maybe if Mercedes were pulling their works team out of the sport? But they've shown no interest in supplying engines to teams who can challenge them, as Red Bull found out.
I just question the McLaren decision making and whether they're capable of making enough good decisions to be competitive. Ricciardo is a top tier driver and Norris has shown huge potential, so that's two pluses. But is that Merc customer unit better than the Honda or Ferrari engines? And I'm unconvinced McLaren have the staff to produce a chassis good enough to compete.
McLaren have just confirmed Daniel Ricciardo to partner Lando Norris for 2021. :)

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Neville Bartos wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 am I don't think I'd be too keen to put my faith in McLaren. They jumped out of their deal with Honda way too early instead of toughing it out. Now Red Bull are reaping the benefits.
Maybe if Mercedes were pulling their works team out of the sport? But they've shown no interest in supplying engines to teams who can challenge them, as Red Bull found out.
I just question the McLaren decision making and whether they're capable of making enough good decisions to be competitive. Ricciardo is a top tier driver and Norris has shown huge potential, so that's two pluses. But is that Merc customer unit better than the Honda or Ferrari engines? And I'm unconvinced McLaren have the staff to produce a chassis good enough to compete.
I think you're being a little harsh on McLaren there. In hindsight we now know they did dump Honda too early. But it's easy to say that now. Honda are a company with massive resources and really should have been ready when they came in to Formula One. But they embarrassed themselves.
From very early on there was rumours of a split, but McLaren stuck with them for three years.
But considering there was little improvement, a breakdown in the relationship, and the lack of trust, I think the split was inevitable.
Remember, Red Bull were not entirely sure of Honda to begin with and let them team up with Toro Rosso first.

Once McLaren had left Honda they went from 9th to 4th in two seasons. So they must be getting some decisions right.
Bringing in Seidl was certainly a right one. Building a new wind tunnel was too.

They are a team on on their way back. And they now have a wonderful driver line-up, mixing experience with potential.

I'm predicting good things from them! 8-)

Noni

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:23 pm
I think you're being a little harsh on McLaren there. In hindsight we now know they did dump Honda too early. But it's easy to say that now. Honda are a company with massive resources and really should have been ready when they came in to Formula One. But they embarrassed themselves.
From very early on there was rumours of a split, but McLaren stuck with them for three years.
But considering there was little improvement, a breakdown in the relationship, and the lack of trust, I think the split was inevitable.
Remember, Red Bull were not entirely sure of Honda to begin with and let them team up with Toro Rosso first.

Once McLaren had left Honda they went from 9th to 4th in two seasons. So they must be getting some decisions right.
Bringing in Seidl was certainly a right one. Building a new wind tunnel was too.

They are a team on on their way back. And they now have a wonderful driver line-up, mixing experience with potential.

I'm predicting good things from them! 8-)
I agree 100 % on your comments Gandalf.

Also to add to your comment, I think having 2 very funny talented guys as drivers boosts morale to a team. Daniel is a proving race winner unlike Sainz. Renault on the other hand have very open close doors when it comes to drivers and staff. They love to fire them. Daniel thought Renault were very unstable and was not happy last year. He even failed to turn up on interviews. Very rare from Daniel.

Another point, Ferrari do not like smiling happy guys in their team. :lol:

McLaren are on the rise and I believe they have the best pairing compared to Ferrari at the moment...

I love Sainz and wish him well. But I cannot see Ferrari giving Sainz the chance to succeed and would favour Charles Leclerc over a couple of years in F1.

Talks and rumours are that Renault might leave F1? So my opinion is Daniel's decision was right. :)

Noni

Post by Noni »

News just in. :D

Toto Wolf is not ignoring the fact Vettel could join Mercedes, along side Hamilton. I'm confused, because Toto announced he intends to leave Mercedes and work for Aston Martin Group. :?

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Noni wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm News just in. :D

......Toto announced he intends to leave Mercedes and work for Aston Martin Group. :?
If that's true then that's news that has passed me by. I believe he will go there - but not yet.
And also, when he does decide to go there, there will undoubtedly be a period of gardening leave that he will need to serve before he can get to work.

As for Vettel, I can't see him going to Mercedes if Hamilton is still there. He hasn't fared too well up against quick drivers in his last two teams. And I can't see anything different if he goes up against Lewis. You think he was prone to mistakes before!? Just wait until Lewis starts to get under his skin. :lol:

So where does Vettel go? If he does stay in F1 I think the only real option is Renault.
It's long been my belief that Alonso would go there. They have a great history together, and it's one of the few bridges he hasn't burnt.
But, until recently I hadn't factored Vettel into that equation.
Think about this for a moment. Renault had a pretty dire season last year. Their star driver announced he was leaving. And where does that leave Renault? With a choice of Alonso or Vettel to fill the second seat.
How did that happen!?!? :shock: :lol:

Noni

Post by Noni »

Hamilton has been voted as the best driver ever and No1 in your team by F1 pundits.

He is the only driver not to collide with his rivals or make a lot of mistakes. Though this poll is related to the current trend, we can't regard those from the past. Stirling Moss was regarded as the best No 2 driver, only because he supported Fangio and gave him his own car during the events of the GP.

Noni

Post by Noni »

Tony Brooks, is the last remaining after the 1950's grand prix's, now aged 88. With now Stirling Moss gone :(

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Well the more things change, etc. The Mercs half a second quicker than the rest of the field, but tellingly, a second quicker than the fastest Fezza.
Two races in Austria, so with this huge advantage Mercedes should be off to a flyer.
Norris and Sainz, 4th and 8th look good for McLaren too. Vettel didn't make the top 10 shootout.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Stingers ready for the BLM pin up boy.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Neville Bartos wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:49 pm The Mercs half a second quicker than the rest....
Remember, Max will be starting on Mediums. And also, the Red Bull seems to be very suited to the Red Bull Ring (Go figure! :lol: ) They won it each of the last two seasons, including last year when Max bogged down at the start and fell back to 9th.