F1, 2020

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gandalf

Re: F1, 2020

Post by Gandalf »

Noni wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:56 pm
Gandalf wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:43 pm

I really hope so. I know this can be boring for the average fan, and positively painful for a Ferrari fan ( :lol: ) but I never did like Schumacher and the way he went about things. So happy to go through all this predictability so see Schumacher's records gone.
I really hope so Gandalf, like you said about Schumacher, he was never a fair player in F1. Loved wining a lot if things went badly. At least with Hamilton he admits went he is wrong.

Could see Perez losing his seat to Vettel next season :( at Racing Point.
It's looking increasingly likely. And I'm not convinced it's the right move.

For Seb I think it will be a good move. The current car is great. And assuming it stays that way amid all the protests from Renault, it will be a great car next year too. And working in that team won't be the pressure-cooker situation he was in at Ferrari and in his last year of Red Bull.
But it won't give him the car to fight for Championships.

But the reason I doubt this move is this. Stroll Sr. knows how to run a business. The team knows how to work on a budget. So I'm predicting great things for this team. But it will take time. And I don't see Seb as having time on his side. Racing Point/Aston Martin are on their way up. Seb is on his way down. That raises doubts for me.
And is Seb really going to bring anything to the table that Perez isn't? Personally I think Perez is a better driver than he gets credit for. I feel this is being done as a statement of intent. Having a four-time World Champion in your car will certainly elevate the teams status. But getting rid of your best driver because the other one is family sends out all the wrong messages in a business sense.
Perez has been such a loyal servant to that team that he's almost like family himself. And he's consistently been their top scorer. And just as the team are on the edge of great things he gets kicked out. That just doesn't feel right to me.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:17 am
Noni wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:56 pm

I really hope so Gandalf, like you said about Schumacher, he was never a fair player in F1. Loved wining a lot if things went badly. At least with Hamilton he admits went he is wrong.

Could see Perez losing his seat to Vettel next season :( at Racing Point.
It's looking increasingly likely. And I'm not convinced it's the right move.

For Seb I think it will be a good move. The current car is great. And assuming it stays that way amid all the protests from Renault, it will be a great car next year too. And working in that team won't be the pressure-cooker situation he was in at Ferrari and in his last year of Red Bull.
But it won't give him the car to fight for Championships.

But the reason I doubt this move is this. Stroll Sr. knows how to run a business. The team knows how to work on a budget. So I'm predicting great things for this team. But it will take time. And I don't see Seb as having time on his side. Racing Point/Aston Martin are on their way up. Seb is on his way down. That raises doubts for me.
And is Seb really going to bring anything to the table that Perez isn't? Personally I think Perez is a better driver than he gets credit for. I feel this is being done as a statement of intent. Having a four-time World Champion in your car will certainly elevate the teams status. But getting rid of your best driver because the other one is family sends out all the wrong messages in a business sense.
Perez has been such a loyal servant to that team that he's almost like family himself. And he's consistently been their top scorer. And just as the team are on the edge of great things he gets kicked out. That just doesn't feel right to me.

Some comments from Marc Priestley along similar lines.

Noni

Post by Noni »

Formula 1 has called off the Canadian, US, Mexican and Brazilian Grands Prix this year as a result of the coronavirus crisis in the Americas.

With infection rates rising in the three of these countries, Canada, one of the lowest in terms of the virus, does not want to risk opening the borders or bring travellers in. F1 bosses believe it would be irresponsible to hold races there.

Instead, three further races in Europe are to be added to the calendar.

These will see a return for Germany's Nurburgring and Imola in Italy, and an F1 debut for Portugal's Portimao track.

We are now up to 13 races now confirmed and gone this year. :) 8-)
Last edited by Noni on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noni

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Some comments from Marc Priestley along similar lines.

I like this guy's explanations on the sport. Very clear and simple, showing great common sense in his answers. :)

Noni

Post by Noni »

Perez has tested positive in this Covid crisis. What a worse time for him right now. Will not race during the first race in Britain.

Who could be his replacement?.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Noni wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 am Perez has tested positive in this Covid crisis. What a worse time for him right now. Will not race during the first race in Britain.

I'll do it in my Scirocco. I been practicing
COYI!!!

Noni

Post by Noni »

JayK wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am
Noni wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 am Perez has tested positive in this Covid crisis. What a worse time for him right now. Will not race during the first race in Britain.

Great car!.... ;)

JayK

Post by JayK »

Noni wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 am
JayK wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am

Great car!.... ;)
Thanks mate. Best I've ever had. It's the love of my life. Just don't tell the wife 🙈😂
COYI!!!

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

All the rumours are pointing towards Hulkenberg. I really hope it's true. He has the unwanted record of having the most GP starts without a podium. And now, if he does come back he will be in a car that could help him get rid of that record.
And seeing as Perez should be out for 10 days (UK law) Hulkenberg should have two shots at it.

This could be a fairytale return for The Hulk. Here's hoping!

Noni

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 am

All the rumours are pointing towards Hulkenberg. I really hope it's true. He has the unwanted record of having the most GP starts without a podium. And now, if he does come back he will be in a car that could help him get rid of that record.
And seeing as Perez should be out for 10 days (UK law) Hulkenberg should have two shots at it.

This could be a fairytale return for The Hulk. Here's hoping!
I like Hulk and want him back, he's the best German other then Frenzen, that don't offer grudges and admit their mistakes. Schumacher and Vettel would have more fans because of this!...

Even George Russell is in the rumours because of Mercedes connection.