Latest takeover.......this is karma

Chat about anything football related here!
ToneLoc

Re: Latest takeover.......this is karma

Post by ToneLoc »

h69 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 am
Brookbonds73 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 pm

All jokes aside though mate, but at what point does money mean fuck all and enough is enough. I mean apart from a select few in this world most of us will never know what it's like. But if your a genuine fan, a billionaire and you know your kids will never want for fuck all then surely you sell up and go and enjoy the rest of your days on a beach and let someone else take your beloved club forward.
But then again if money is your guvnor then greed takes over I suppose.
I have always been of the opinion that the people that make their money (ie not inherit it) are rich because they generally dont short themselves on deals. The richest people can be the hardest to do a deal with so I doubt very much that they would take a hit on the price just because there is a bit of unrest. There are other investors that they have a duty to to get the best price for the club if they sell also.

I am sure they will sell but someone needs to be serious. My understanding is that no one has actually made a formal bid. They have only discussed a possible deal informally
True but as Whisky says, it’s not just about the buyer meeting the asking price, it works two ways.... it’s also up to the seller to demonstrate and justify the asking price.

Look around the PL and the major leagues of Europe. Do you see many big takeover deals actually taking place?
There’s a solid reason for that..... the sheer uncertainty.
Post COVID-19 the old rules have been thrown out of the window.
I’m sure deals will still be done but I just cannot see how any seller can ably demonstrate and justify as high an asking price post COVID-19 amidst such uncertainty.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

ToneLoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 am

I have always been of the opinion that the people that make their money (ie not inherit it) are rich because they generally dont short themselves on deals. The richest people can be the hardest to do a deal with so I doubt very much that they would take a hit on the price just because there is a bit of unrest. There are other investors that they have a duty to to get the best price for the club if they sell also.

I am sure they will sell but someone needs to be serious. My understanding is that no one has actually made a formal bid. They have only discussed a possible deal informally
True but as Whisky says, it’s not just about the buyer meeting the asking price, it works two ways.... it’s also up to the seller to demonstrate and justify the asking price.

Look around the PL and the major leagues of Europe. Do you see many big takeover deals actually taking place?
I’m sure deals will still be done but I just cannot see how any seller can ably demonstrate and justify as high an asking price post COVID-19 amidst such uncertainty.
You're right Tone. Business HATES uncertainty. Nobody knows how future TV deals are going to impact football finances and of course nobody knows when full attendances will again be a feature of the game. Add in sponsorship deals, which are dependant on TV exposure, and commercial revenue streams, a significant element of which I imagine is match day spend driven, and you have a very uncertain future.

Add to that mix that, whilst we have the advantage of being based in the capital, we are lagging way behind the big 3 competing in the same city. Particularly in respect of overseas income generation. So with C & B specs off I don't see West Ham as a particularly attractive business opportunity. Certainly there is potential, as there probably is for every club in the land, but to compete at the highest level the infrastructure has to be in place, and can we honestly say ours is ? And with 3 of the so called big 6 in the capital is there really massive potential for a fourth to try and gatecrash the party ?

I haven't a clue how much money would need to be thrown at the "project" to make West Ham competitive in order to raise the bar to enable revenue streams from European participation to feature as future earnings, but it certainly wouldn't be cheap. And that's before we start looking at the expense involved in bringing the infrastructure up to the standards befitting a major player.

Using back of a beermat calculations let's assume the club is sold for a conservative £400 million. I would imagine team rebuilding would be the first item on the agenda. After all no point in having top class training facilities to tray and attract top players if you're swanning around mid table at best. So how much for that ? £200 million ? More or less ? Buggered if I know but a lot, certainly. And then how long would any new owner be prepared to tie up that amount of capital before seeing a return on their investment ?

So imo there are a lot of imponderables. Particularly given the very uncertain future of the financial landscape, and not just the footballing one. We are, by common consent heading for the biggest recession since the 1980s, maybe even since the 1929 crash, because of Covid-19. And that's before we factor in the potential fiasco and damage to business confidence if the government is unable to thrash out a post Brexit trade deal. So will people consider spending on TV packages , season tickets or overpriced club merchandise to represent good value for money if their family incomes start to shrink in real terms or even, in some cases, disappear due to job losses.

Interesting times lie ahead imo.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

https://www.claretandhugh.info/report-a ... mmers-bid/

Hope they will have proof of funds and not fake like Ellis Shot, Randy Lerner and Holliett.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Ibbyham wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am https://www.claretandhugh.info/report-a ... mmers-bid/

Hope they will have proof of funds and not fake like Ellis Shot, Randy Lerner and Holliett.
They have no requirement whatsoever to provide proof of funds at this point.

Haven't a clue who Holliett is but Randy Lerner and Ellis Short did have funds. In the case of Lerner he simply wasn't prepared to consider funding Martin O'Neill's ridiculous over payment on players. And Villa have really moved on since Lerner sold up, haven't they. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:39 am
Ibbyham wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am https://www.claretandhugh.info/report-a ... mmers-bid/

Haven't a clue who Holliett is but Randy Lerner and Ellis Short did have funds. In the case of Lerner he simply wasn't prepared to consider funding Martin O'Neill's ridiculous over payment on players. And Villa have really moved on since Lerner sold up, haven't they. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Holliett was a Liverpool owner in late 2000s that was a disaster for Liverpool and ran out of funds and causes Liverpool in some debt.

O'Neill and Pellegrini spend over payments on players with little success but form will dip if players are flopped. At least Moyes don't spend crazy money on luxury players which is one plus but need to move himself to get players and stop fiddling with getting on the cheap and if players don't want to come to us, move on to the next one straightaway.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

£400 M plus a new chopper for Goldberg and unlimited Cuban heels for the midget.

Should get sorted.

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

" At least Moyes don't spend crazy money on luxury players". What are luxury players ? Players who try and create something as opposed to players who just pass to their nearest teammate and hope they can do something to try and win a game whilst they look on ? Moyes did spend crazy money on Hugill and I wouldn't describe him as a luxury just a mediocre run about doing nothing sort of player.

h69

Post by h69 »

ToneLoc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 am

Like I said...uou start high if you are a seller and you don't need to sell. If anything happens it will likely be around 500m but no bids yet and I believe they are looking to only sell 10% unless someone comes in with a bid over the valuation.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Ibbyham wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:00 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:39 am

Holliett was a Liverpool owner in late 2000s that was a disaster for Liverpool and ran out of funds and causes Liverpool in some debt.

O'Neill and Pellegrini spend over payments on players with little success but form will dip if players are flopped. At least Moyes don't spend crazy money on luxury players which is one plus but need to move himself to get players and stop fiddling with getting on the cheap and if players don't want to come to us, move on to the next one straightaway.
Moyes would spend crazy money if he had it. At Man United he spent £37.5 million on Juan Mata, a decent signing imo, £27.5 million on Marouane Fellaini--Hmmm, and an undisclosed amount on one Saidi Jenko, of whom one might say --- Who ?

And we got a lot of benefit from his signing of Jordan Hugill didn't we ?

And I hate pissing on your parade but no one called Holliett has ever owned Licverpool. You don't mean Houllier do you ? He was their manager at the turn of the millennium.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:49 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Moyes would spend crazy money if he had it. At Man United he spent £37.5 million on Juan Mata, a decent signing imo, £27.5 million on Marouane Fellaini--Hmmm, and an undisclosed amount on one Saidi Jenko, of whom one might say --- Who ?

And we got a lot of benefit from his signing of Jordan Hugill didn't we ?

And I hate pissing on your parade but no one called Holliett has ever owned Licverpool. You don't mean Houllier do you ? He was their manager at the turn of the millennium.
He's thinking of Junior Hoilett who played for Blackburn and after one memorable game against Liverpool,came off the pitch and told Sky Sports "I own Anfield"