The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Post by BlackDiamond »

West Ham entertain Aston Villa at the London stadium on Monday 30 Nov 20:00

We might argue that this tasty fixture should have been swapped with Saturday evenings West Brom V Sheff U game for sensible reasons like finding an audience that gives a shit.

But it is what it is and if it's a joke, it's as funny as "Mrs Bowns Boys"

Cheap jokes aside, this fixture should be another "test" for this West Ham team that are trundling along quite nicely.

And the reason this game might be another "test" is because Aston Villa have won every away fixture this season (five) - two in the EFL cup.

However West Ham have the second best defensive record and two players in superb form. Both Angelo Ogbonna and Declan Rice were 9/10s against Fulham and Arthur Masuaku is delivery quality performances.

As things stand, it's difficult to argue swapping Antonio for Haller or/and Bowen for Benhrama at half time...unless, Haller/Bowen has scored or made assists.

Would it be that awful if we won 1-0 ? No, but it would be a hell of a lot more inspiring if we really "played" in this game and scored 4...

That might not happen but let's at least try and look like we are trying to do so

Clayton

Re: The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Post by Clayton »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm West Ham entertain Aston Villa at the London stadium on Monday 30 Nov 20:00

We might argue that this tasty fixture should have been swapped with Saturday evenings West Brom V Sheff U game for sensible reasons like finding an audience that gives a shit.

But it is what it is and if it's a joke, it's as funny as "Mrs Bowns Boys"

Cheap jokes aside, this fixture should be another "test" for this West Ham team that are trundling along quite nicely.

And the reason this game might be another "test" is because Aston Villa have won every away fixture this season (five) - two in the EFL cup.

However West Ham have the second best defensive record and two players in superb form. Both Angelo Ogbonna and Declan Rice were 9/10s against Fulham and Arthur Masuaku is delivery quality performances.

As things stand, it's difficult to argue swapping Antonio for Haller or/and Bowen for Benhrama at half time...unless, Haller/Bowen has scored or made assists.

Would it be that awful if we won 1-0 ? No, but it would be a hell of a lot more inspiring if we really "played" in this game and scored 4...

That might not happen but let's at least try and look like we are trying to do so
A win is a win I guess in Moyes eyes which I can understand , but it would be a hell of a lot more inspiring and watchable if we really "played" in this game and scored 4... but if it ain't broke why change it I suppose . Even in the matches the tactics don't appear to be working for us Moyes doesn't change it and it works in most cases 😕 , ( which doesn't really make sense ) .

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Villa unlike Fulham and blunts dont have attacking problems, which might actually see us get more opportunities to counter. Hopefully the defence remains solid but i could see both teams conceding in this fixture. Id take a 3-2 win.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Aston Villa games at London Stadium will be a tough match as Aston Villa is unbeaten away and yet to concede an away goals while West Ham has the lowest conceded goals at home.

In the Premier League history at West Ham home, we played 21, West Ham won 6, Villa 4 but drawn 11 so this is look likely a draw banker. Both West Ham and Aston Villa has the lowest squad players used in the Premier League thus which is the reason why both of our teams are doing very well against the odds that both our teams would be struggling to stay in the Premier League. Grealish and Rice are the 2 form players and also McGinn and Soucek are also top form player as well as both West Ham and Aston Villa has excellent Midfielders.

Squad would be the same as the last 2 games but this time Antonio will be in the bench and if West Ham not doing well in attack, Antonio could come and change that.

Fabianski

Coufal
Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell
Masuaku

Bowen
Rice
Soucek
Fornals

Haller

COYI whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

No problem a comfortable 3-1 victory.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

Actually (& worryingly) looking forward to this one ..nailed on for villa then. However, think we are largely flying under the radar at the moment. No big song and dance about us, just putting some resilient performances together.

Despite scoring I’d have Antonio back in a heartbeat, he just offers so much more, albeit I think haller is actually a better finisher, just not as destructive.

Love fornals energy but would give our new boy at least 45 mins. Oggy been immense as has rice and souchy.

I would guess the mantra is if it ain’t broke , but at some point we will need to try something different so we know we can.

Loving it so far....another worrying sign😃

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm Actually (& worryingly) looking forward to this one ..nailed on for villa then. However, think we are largely flying under the radar at the moment. No big song and dance about us, just putting some resilient performances together.

Despite scoring I’d have Antonio back in a heartbeat, he just offers so much more, albeit I think haller is actually a better finisher, just not as destructive.

Love fornals energy but would give our new boy at least 45 mins. Oggy been immense as has rice and souchy.

I would guess the mantra is if it ain’t broke , but at some point we will need to try something different so we know we can.

It’s a funny old thing BLC but you mention all the above and for me the guy who has and is going under the radar is Balbuena for me his been great the last few games think all the others mentioned are well deserved but think this guy needs some credit where it due but to be honest apart from the odd oops the team as a whole is doing just great for me

The only Change that I would be happy with is Ben and Antonio starting and Haller and Fornalls to the bench all about opinions

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Would love to see Antonio - Haller and Benrahma start up front , depending on the system A.V play would like see us play with Rice , Fornals ( or Lanzini ) and Soucek in the middle and a back 4 .

JayK

Post by JayK »

We know the system won’t change don’t we. We’ll defend deep and hope to Nick something from the counter....fact
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm Actually (& worryingly) looking forward to this one ..nailed on for villa then. However, think we are largely flying under the radar at the moment. No big song and dance about us, just putting some resilient performances together.

But isn't the time to try something different when it is broken, not when it's doing the job it's designed to ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?