The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Chat about anything football related here!
BCHammer

Re: The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Post by BCHammer »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pmArthur Masuaku is delivery quality performances.
I'm not sure, might look good to watch, but it leads to little tangible end product IMO ie goals and he still gets caught out defensively. All the while he is there we need a back 5 and there is no room for Benrahma, who should do a better job as a left winger and is presumably what we committed to spending 30m units of sausage for.

I would love a front three of Antonio Haller & Benrahma, but that leaves us really short in the middle with just Rice & Soucek, not only no creativity to link back and front lines, but leaves a big hole where Grealish & Barkley will have a field day - or should 5 defenders & 2 DM's be able to deal with that?

To play both Antonio & Haller, that means sacrificing Bowen, which maybe needs to be done anyway, but it does leave Coufal exposed. So it is going to be the status quo, the only question is when Antonio replaces Haller, from the start or after an hour - I can't see even Moisty leaving that sub to the 88th min - unless Ivorian Seb really is banging them in.

I think we'll do them, the Ogfather is stitching a Grealish sized pocket to the back of his shorts as we speak, 2-1 or 3-2 Irons. whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BCHammer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:24 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pmArthur Masuaku is delivery quality performances.
I'm not sure, might look good to watch, but it leads to little tangible end product IMO ie goals and he still gets caught out defensively. All the while he is there we need a back 5 and there is no room for Benrahma, who should do a better job as a left winger and is presumably what we committed to spending 30m units of sausage for.

I would love a front three of Antonio Haller & Benrahma, but that leaves us really short in the middle with just Rice & Soucek, not only no creativity to link back and front lines, but leaves a big hole where Grealish & Barkley will have a field day - or should 5 defenders & 2 DM's be able to deal with that?

To play both Antonio & Haller, that means sacrificing Bowen, which maybe needs to be done anyway, but it does leave Coufal exposed. So it is going to be the status quo, the only question is when Antonio replaces Haller, from the start or after an hour - I can't see even Moisty leaving that sub to the 88th min - unless Ivorian Seb really is banging them in.

I think we'll do them, the Ogfather is stitching a Grealish sized pocket to the back of his shorts as we speak, 2-1 or 3-2 Irons. whufc_crest
I doubt Antonio will start tbh. Like you I think an Antonio , Haller pairing up front is one that could be very effective. It worked a treat against Southampton last season but I don't think we've seen it since. But as you say the problem is who to leave out. For me it would have to be Bowen but he's not done anything to warrant losing his place although tbh I've still got reservations about him in the long run. No one can doubt his work rate and his running but I'm not sure he's got the quick thinking gene that the best players have. His decision making looks a bit suspect to me at times but maybe the coaches can work on his awareness.

As I've said before it wouldn't worry me too much if Antonio and Benrahma spent a cozy 90 minutes on the bench because it would mean things were going nicely enough on the field without them. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

BCHammer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:24 am

I agree totally , apart from the win , I just cannot get my head around the fact our fighting rear guard action isn't getting us in trouble , yet the tactic is still getting us results in games .
So you could be right and we will carry on regardless up the table , I am definitely not as confident this week though , we were not brilliant against either Fulham or Sheffield Utd , and Aston Villa have a far better squad and attacking ability then either .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:00 am
BCHammer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:24 am I'm not sure, might look good to watch, but it leads to little tangible end product IMO ie goals and he still gets caught out defensively. All the while he is there we need a back 5 and there is no room for Benrahma, who should do a better job as a left winger and is presumably what we committed to spending 30m units of sausage for.

I agree totally , apart from the win , I just cannot get my head around the fact our fighting rear guard action isn't getting us in trouble , yet the tactic is still getting us results in games .
So you could be right and we will carry on regardless up the table , I am definitely not as confident this week though , we were not brilliant against either Fulham or Sheffield Utd , and Aston Villa have a far better squad and attacking ability then either .
And they will probably be more adventurous which should suit our style should it not ? And whilst I agree Villa's firepower is better than either Fulham or Sheffield can muster we didn't do too badly against Man City and Liverpool who aren't short in that department did we ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Around the time a lot thought that Declan would be off, makeweights in any deal from the plastics got mentioned. There were loads, including Ross Barkley.

Most on here rubbished the suggestion, including myself. But he's done really well at Villa. Naturally I'm delighted basmati is still with us but a Barkley in this sort of form in an alternative claret and blue shirt would not be scoffed at.

But he's out for the game with a hammy. Which is a big bonus.

Reading the Villa forum they can't see how they'll create anything without him apart from relying on Grealish thwoing himself to the floor.

Actually he's better than that although he does go down bloody easily, the tart. Keep him quiet and they're half the team.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Clayton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:51 pm Would love to see Antonio - Haller and Benrahma start up front , depending on the system A.V play would like see us play with Rice , Fornals ( or Lanzini ) and Soucek in the middle and a back 4 .
Yeah would like to see that....might be a few games of tho....as much as I want that...as a Manager I might be tempted to
stick with whats working for just a little longer..

Quick edit... :lol: ...might keep Bowen in and try Ben in that CMFer spot...

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

mkhammer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:18 am
Clayton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:51 pm Would love to see Antonio - Haller and Benrahma start up front , depending on the system A.V play would like see us play with Rice , Fornals ( or Lanzini ) and Soucek in the middle and a back 4 .
Yeah would like to see that....might be a few games of tho....as much as I want that...as a Manager I might be tempted to
stick with whats working for just a little longer..

Quick edit... :lol: ...might keep Bowen in and try Ben in that CMFer spot...
Surely Ben would be better looking at Arthur's position, (who put us under a lot of pressure at times on Sunday. loosing possession in dangerous areas), and leave Bowen where he is

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

Dagger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 pm
brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm Actually (& worryingly) looking forward to this one ..nailed on for villa then. However, think we are largely flying under the radar at the moment. No big song and dance about us, just putting some resilient performances together.

Despite scoring I’d have Antonio back in a heartbeat, he just offers so much more, albeit I think haller is actually a better finisher, just not as destructive.

Love fornals energy but would give our new boy at least 45 mins. Oggy been immense as has rice and souchy.

I would guess the mantra is if it ain’t broke , but at some point we will need to try something different so we know we can.

Loving it so far....another worrying sign😃
It’s a funny old thing BLC but you mention all the above and for me the guy who has and is going under the radar is Balbuena for me his been great the last few games think all the others mentioned are well deserved but think this guy needs some credit where it due but to be honest apart from the odd oops the team as a whole is doing just great for me

The only Change that I would be happy with is Ben and Antonio starting and Haller and Fornalls to the bench all about opinions

i make you right Mr D, Balbuena is the general we bought who looked so solid when he arrived and then had a massive dip in form, his positional sense makes up for his lack of pace and his pairing with oggy looks good. Would defo like to see Benny boy get more than 10 minutes. Our counter attacking has been the biggest surprise for me, we just lack someone to give that killer final ball, we had loads of opportunity on sunday and just couldn't find that pass.

Pretty certain the most successful teams tend to do it with the same players, look at liverpool who until this season have hardly had any injuries , they do however have strength in depth, which perhaps we lack.

exciting times..

i have no doubt that i will be moaning like fuck when we lose tho.. :)

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Aston Villa midfielder Barkley who is loaned from Chelsea is currently injured as he was the main man that made Villa the different this season than last season as he was the best midfielder alongside Grealish. Barkley will be out until mid-December so looked likely McGinn will step in his role.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Mancunian Hammer

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

I would like to see the same team but Antonio in for Haller assuming he is fit. Haller scored a nice goal last time out but Antonio has scored a whole load of goals since the premier league returned and he terrorises the defence so much so that they are often a sixes and sevens trying to deal with him that it creates space for other players like Bowen, Fornals and Soucek. Antonio leads the line far more effectively than Haller foe me (and i'm aware most people disagree). Of course it would be nice to see them together but that would mean sacrificing what we have elsewhere. We won't see Antonio and Haller up front together under Moyes unless we are behind with 20 to go.

Another win is what we want here and I don't mind how it comes, whether it is from a negative, defensive, scrappy display or a virtuoso attacking masterclass. When was the last time we won three on the spin?

I think Villa are a much better side than the one we played and failed to relegate on the final day of last season, we have both had good starts to the season and i'm predicting that the points are shared.