The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Chat about anything football related here!
thomasswe

Re: The Official West Ham v Aston Villa Match thread

Post by thomasswe »

I see the appeal with Antonio and Haller upfront but look how much solid we are at the back with our current setup. We are still scoring goals and winning games even if we look uninspired at times. No reason to change something thats working.

Fornals and Bowen both deserved to keep their places. They each have had bad ganes recently but both have also been i strumental to wins in other games. Benrahma will get his chance.

Changing to a back 4 again would be the dumbest move Moyes could make.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Mancunian Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:50 pm I would like to see the same team but Antonio in for Haller assuming he is fit. Haller scored a nice goal last time out but Antonio has scored a whole load of goals since the premier league returned and he terrorises the defence so much so that they are often a sixes and sevens trying to deal with him that it creates space for other players like Bowen, Fornals and Soucek. Antonio leads the line far more effectively than Haller foe me (and i'm aware most people disagree). Of course it would be nice to see them together but that would mean sacrificing what we have elsewhere. We won't see Antonio and Haller up front together under Moyes unless we are behind with 20 to go.

Another win is what we want here and I don't mind how it comes, whether it is from a negative, defensive, scrappy display or a virtuoso attacking masterclass. When was the last time we won three on the spin?

I think Villa are a much better side than the one we played and failed to relegate on the final day of last season, we have both had good starts to the season and i'm predicting that the points are shared.
I think Antonio/Haller up front would be a decent pairing but , like you, I don't think we'll see it because it would mean leaving someone out, probably Bowen, to accommodate it. I'm still to be completely convinced about Bowen. Love his industry but there's something about him that reminds me of the worst aspect of the old Antonio. Head down and not really thinking about what comes next. But that said he's putting in some decent shifts and is worth his place in the side no doubt about that. And he's young enough to learn all about better decision making. And he hasn't got to worry about what Fredericks is doing behind him anymore which is a big plus.

Tbh I'd keep the same side that started on Sunday. Antonio on the bench would give us a few options if things weren't going too well and Haller, imo, had a very decent game Sunday and deserves to keep his place.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Something a little different , a experienced front three capable of interchanging their positions in attack and defensively . Probably the most surprising change Bowen as a RM/RWB 😲, reckon he would offer more going forward from the back then Coufal , and he does not mind putting in a shift ,why ? , I am not totally convinced by his ability as a attacking threat up front .
Got to see more from Masuaku in the final third , he can jink his way around in midfield with the best of them , has Cresswell covering him at the back so has less to worry about , so come on Arthur give me something to get excited about .
lineup (1).png
lineup (1).png (130.83 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

Mancunian Hammer

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

I can't make a case for leaving Antonio out if he is fully fit, he has 3 in 6 this season but moreover he brings a lot more than goals, if he's fit he has to start. I'm actually not sure what Moyes will do, I think he may leave Antonio on the bench citing that he is not fully fit but can't be certain. I think Moyes is not impressed with Haller and wants a player who is tougher and more industrious. Antonio may not keep scoring but if the goals dry up he will still have lots to offer. Most teams do not play 4-4-2 etc. and 2 strikers up front is seen far less these days so I think you will see either Haller or Antonio for the near future at least. What I don't want to see (and I can't believe i'm saying this) is for us to go to a flat back four. At the end of last season a lot of peoples major concerns were the full backs, both Creswell and Masuaku were deemed hopeless and as for Ryan Fredericks the less said the better however this formation that Moyes has stumbled on seems to play to the strengths of these players and mitigates their weaknesses. Most fans want to see us more attacking with Benrahma in and more attacking formations, I don't mind either way as long as we are getting the results.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Clayton wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm Something a little different , a experienced front three capable of interchanging their positions in attack and defensively . Probably the most surprising change Bowen as a RM/RWB 😲, reckon he would offer more going forward from the back then Coufal , and he does not mind putting in a shift ,why ? , I am not totally convinced by his ability as a attacking threat up front .
Got to see more from Masuaku in the final third , he can jink his way around in midfield with the best of them , has Cresswell covering him at the back so has less to worry about , so come on Arthur give me something to get excited about .
lineup (1).png
If...and a big if , I was going to change the team around to have both Haller and Antonio in the team I would drop Bowen to the bench and use Antonio on the right with Haller up front. ( I'm still not completely sold on Bowden at the moment)....Fornals must stay in the starting lineup....not Lanzini, and maybe, use Benny instead of Arthur, or at least give him a 20 min run out not the usual 5.....

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

andyginbrasil wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 pm
Clayton wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm Something a little different , a experienced front three capable of interchanging their positions in attack and defensively . Probably the most surprising change Bowen as a RM/RWB 😲, reckon he would offer more going forward from the back then Coufal , and he does not mind putting in a shift ,why ? , I am not totally convinced by his ability as a attacking threat up front .
lineup (1).png
If...and a big if , I was going to change the team around to have both Haller and Antonio in the team I would drop Bowen to the bench and use Antonio on the right with Haller up front. ( I'm still not completely sold on Bowden at the moment)....Fornals must stay in the starting lineup....not Lanzini, and maybe, use Benny instead of Arthur, or at least give him a 20 min run out not the usual 5.....
Andy , why Fornals over Lanzini ? , personally think Lanzini ( maybe even Benrahma ) , is more clinical and has at least some pace , which we are lacking in attack .

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:41 pm
Mancunian Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:50 pm I would like to see the same team but Antonio in for Haller assuming he is fit. Haller scored a nice goal last time out but Antonio has scored a whole load of goals since the premier league returned and he terrorises the defence so much so that they are often a sixes and sevens trying to deal with him that it creates space for other players like Bowen, Fornals and Soucek. Antonio leads the line far more effectively than Haller foe me (and i'm aware most people disagree). Of course it would be nice to see them together but that would mean sacrificing what we have elsewhere. We won't see Antonio and Haller up front together under Moyes unless we are behind with 20 to go.

Another win is what we want here and I don't mind how it comes, whether it is from a negative, defensive, scrappy display or a virtuoso attacking masterclass. When was the last time we won three on the spin?

I think Villa are a much better side than the one we played and failed to relegate on the final day of last season, we have both had good starts to the season and i'm predicting that the points are shared.
I think Antonio/Haller up front would be a decent pairing but , like you, I don't think we'll see it because it would mean leaving someone out, probably Bowen, to accommodate it. I'm still to be completely convinced about Bowen. Love his industry but there's something about him that reminds me of the worst aspect of the old Antonio. Head down and not really thinking about what comes next. But that said he's putting in some decent shifts and is worth his place in the side no doubt about that. And he's young enough to learn all about better decision making. And he hasn't got to worry about what Fredericks is doing behind him anymore which is a big plus.

Tbh I'd keep the same side that started on Sunday. Antonio on the bench would give us a few options if things weren't going too well and Haller, imo, had a very decent game Sunday and deserves to keep his place.
His head-down industry was the reason we scored the only goal against the blades. That plus his industry and pace on that right flank make him irreplaceable in this team right now.
#fuckqatar2022

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Hope Moyes will keep the back 3 the same with 2 wings back and with the 3rd round FA Cup on the horizon, hopefully a home tie against lower teams will give Benrahma, Noble, Snodgrass, Diop, Randolph, Lanzini and possible Yarmolenko a good run out.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

If West Ham win, we would jump to 5th place as Everton and Southampton lost.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Ibbyham wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm If West Ham win, we would jump to 5th place as Everton and Southampton lost.
...and we all know what happens historically when West Ham have the opportunity to hit those dizzy heights don’t we ?
Bring back Jonathon !