West Ham vs Burnley Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: West Ham vs Burnley Official Match Thread

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 pm
JayK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02 pm Cheers Ibbs!!

I don’t think Antonio will be as sharp as he needs to be but should be sharper than yesterday. No point us putting crosses in, we need to slip balls around the defence and do well (as we have been) at set pieces.

I still think we’ll win but probs won’t be pretty.
I hope your confidence isn't misplaced although I'm watching the Burnley v Man United game and I think it might be. We struggle against teams who park the bus, and Burnley's bus is a great big fucker. I think their shortest player is about 7' 6" so I don't see Lanzini and Benrahma being too "up for it". And I think we need to add Balbuena to the mix to counter their aerial (only) threat. A definite 3 at the back requirement methinks.

Pretty it won't be, that's for sure.
That’s why no crosses. Lanzini and Fornals can run through their legs 😂
COYI!!!

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:18 pm This fixture will be the toughest one as Burnley did the double over us last season and was a frustrating result at London Stadium last time round. Burnley will have their defensive as the strongest with Mee and Tardowski which any teams will find it difficult to break down and I am surprised big clubs did not tried to get those 2. Burnley also have a new ownership so that will give them confidence. Wets Ham need to do better than they did last season and with Antonio back, hopefully he will be more sharper and need to do more better in crosses for the offensive side. Not sure if Fabianski is back as I haven't heard anything but finger-crossed hope he does. West Ham also have to watch out for Chris Wood who usually not scored a goal for a while until he does against us.

Formation for this match could be a 4-3-3 as 4-2-3-1 will not work as Burnley defensive will easily stopped us attacking. 4-4-1-1 could be another option.

Squad:

Fabianski/Randy

Coufal
Balbuena/Dawson
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Soucek
Rice
Fornals

Bowen
Antonio (in front)
Benrahma.

Hope Benrahma can open the Burnley defence.

COYI whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest
Excellent intro Ibbs, I see this as a less than solid home win. If all the directors turn up for this one, it will be a socially-distanced parade of tarts and farts - something for the snappers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you, Burnley is fast becoming the Brighton as both are our bogey games so we need to get the formation right as I don't want a 4-2-3-1 as this is utterly crap as I prefer the 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 as we need to break down their defence but at the same time to keep our back 4 tight as Burnley are doing the Allardyce way.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Agree 3 at back needed if only to protect Cresswell.

If we go 4 at back they will target him for sure.

532 defending, 352 attacking.

Fab

Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Coufal
Soucek
Rice
Fornals
Johnson

Bowen
Antonio
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Towie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm Agree 3 at back needed if only to protect Cresswell.

Fab

Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Coufal
Soucek
Rice
Fornals
Johnson

Bowen
Antonio
That'll do for me. With the exception of the world class striker we'll have signed in place by Saturday.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 pm
Towie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm Agree 3 at back needed if only to protect Cresswell.

Fab

Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Coufal
Soucek
Rice
Fornals
Johnson

Bowen
Antonio
That'll do for me. With the exception of the world class striker we'll have signed in place by Saturday.
Me too. Cant have no mincing about in this one.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Fab

Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Coufal
Soucek
Rice
Fornals
Johnson

Bowen
Antonio
That selection is about as good as it can get Towie , though personally I would prefer to see Lanzini in the middle think he has more about him going forward than Fornals ( though in truth Moyes hasn't given the oppotunity to Fornals to shine in his favoured position ) . Though on the offensive I would prefer to see a 3-4-3 with Lanzini adding his quile to the attack .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Fab

Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Coufal
Soucek
Rice
Fornals
Johnson

Bowen
Antonio
Looks a decent line up. Just 2 things. Will Fabianski be fit ? And a small tweak for me. Johnson seems more comfortable right side and as Coufal is the more experienced player I'd ask him to play left side so Johnson could play on the right. Don't think it would be a problem for Coufal.

But whatever line up we put out I don't see this one being a game for the football purists. I can't be optimistic about either of our next two games tbh. We just don't have enough creativity, or pace, in the side to trouble the bus parkers. And Antonio, as willing and hard working as he is, isn't the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to movement.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am

Fab

Balbuena
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Coufal
Soucek
Rice
Fornals
Johnson

Bowen
Antonio
Looks a decent line up. Just 2 things. Will Fabianski be fit ? And a small tweak for me. Johnson seems more comfortable right side and as Coufal is the more experienced player I'd ask him to play left side so Johnson could play on the right. Don't think it would be a problem for Coufal.

But whatever line up we put out I don't see this one being a game for the football purists. I can't be optimistic about either of our next two games tbh. We just don't have enough creativity, or pace, in the side to trouble the bus parkers. And Antonio, as willing and hard working as he is, isn't the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to movement.
Always thought Johnson has looked more comfortable on the left myself and obviously Moyes must think that as well 🤣🤣🤣 otherwise he would have brought in a left sided fullback instead of a right sided in Coufal .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:51 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am

Always thought Johnson has looked more comfortable on the left myself and obviously Moyes must think that as well 🤣🤣🤣 otherwise he would have brought in a left sided fullback instead of a right sided in Coufal .
I would have thought the opportunity of bringing in Coufal so cheaply was one of the reasons we went for him tbh. Also for all his shortcomings Cresswell is still a far better option in the first team than Fredericks. Add into that mix that I'm still not sure Moyes fully trusts Johnson. He still seems to be the odd one out when everyone is available.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 am
Clayton wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:51 am

I would have thought the opportunity of bringing in Coufal so cheaply was one of the reasons we went for him tbh. Also for all his shortcomings Cresswell is still a far better option in the first team than Fredericks. Add into that mix that I'm still not sure Moyes fully trusts Johnson. He still seems to be the odd one out when everyone is available.
Definitely agree concerning Moyes and his opinion of Johnson , really not sure he actually trusts him .