Sad but true

Chat about anything football related here!
Hildreth_1101

Re: Sad but true

Postby Hildreth_1101 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't mind the idea of Snodgrass/Hogan as they will add to our squad, certainly Snodgrass has a lot more end product than Feghouli, but a Right Back is what we need - Sam Byram gets injured again - We are going to be stuck without a right back all season. It's getting to the point where we should just play a CB there - Ginge isn't the quickest so perhaps Ogbonna, but the situation is poor - Putting our hopes on young Sam who has spend most of his 12 months with us injured is a risk that could see us drawn into a relegation fight.

For the owners - Their transfers this season have been appalling, between them and Bilic/Scouts we have, we've made very poor decisions. I wouldn't mind the poor decisions as much if they didn't just keep their mouths shut and do things by the book. Last year our recruitment was good, this year its been poor - I will give them a year, but they need to get it right in the summer or they should re-evaluate what they're doing and hire a Director of Football and they should focus on signing cheques only.
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Avit wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:A great read Palerider.

You have got it spot on.I`ve backed G & S all the way until this year.My opinion has totally changed.They are trying to do everything on the cheap.The likes of Palace,WBA and Stoke outspend us,while we totally rely on loans.

With respect Terry those examples would put me off spending....

But Avit,the majority of loans are done because that player isn`t good enough to get in their current side.The loans are mostly casts offs.

If you are prepared to spend decent money,you will get quality.They said we are moving to the London Stadium to compete with the Top 6,but i can`t see that spending £3 million on a much travelled midfielder and a striker that is a year from the knackers yard.
0 x

Avit

Postby Avit » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:30 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Avit wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:A great read Palerider.

You have got it spot on.I`ve backed G & S all the way until this year.My opinion has totally changed.They are trying to do everything on the cheap.The likes of Palace,WBA and Stoke outspend us,while we totally rely on loans.

But Avit,the majority of loans are done because that player isn`t good enough to get in their current side.The loans are mostly casts offs.

If you are prepared to spend decent money,you will get quality.They said we are moving to the London Stadium to compete with the Top 6,but i can`t see that spending £3 million on a much travelled midfielder and a striker that is a year from the knackers yard.

Yeah but we were all jealous of Palace when they bought Benteke and co and they've all turned out shit. There are no guarantees when you buy or loan a player. Look at the squad we had when we were relegated in 2004.
Torres 50m QED
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Avit wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:
Avit wrote:

Yeah but we were all jealous of Palace when they bought Benteke and co and they've all turned out shit. There are no guarantees when you buy or loan a player. Look at the squad we had when we were relegated in 2004.
Torres 50m QED

Tbh,i think it`s his attitude.I think he think his too big for that club.With Torres,I don`t think the Chelsea system suited the way he played.

I don`t get the Palace thing,they have some decent players,but have been very disappointing.

Of course any signing can be a gamble,but the more money you pay,the less likely you are to be a failure.
0 x

Hammertime

Postby Hammertime » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Gonzo wrote:As far as I'm concerned I'll reserve judgement until this window ends but if we do end up with Snodgrass and a bloke from Brentford then I'll have seen all that I need to.

I won't stop going because it's still a good day out but I'll have lost all faith that they will do anything to improve the team.

As i've said on the other thread, this is not the window to make any big splashes or statements of intent regarding the ambitious future of the club. As you and Geo discussed, this season is over as far as accomplishing rewards for next and the owners made a right balls-up of their summer business and it has left us all fed up. Still, there are no good deals to be had, so shore-up the RB get a striker on loan if need be (just to keep us out of any relegation fights) and then we will see what the owners have learned this summer. Some need be shown the door at the end of the season and that will be the time to buy.
0 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Hammertime wrote:
Gonzo wrote:As far as I'm concerned I'll reserve judgement until this window ends but if we do end up with Snodgrass and a bloke from Brentford then I'll have seen all that I need to.

I won't stop going because it's still a good day out but I'll have lost all faith that they will do anything to improve the team.

As i've said on the other thread, this is not the window to make any big splashes or statements of intent regarding the ambitious future of the club. As you and Geo discussed, this season is over as far as accomplishing rewards for next and the owners made a right balls-up of their summer business and it has left us all fed up. Still, there are no good deals to be had, so shore-up the RB get a striker on loan if need be (just to keep us out of any relegation fights) and then we will see what the owners have learned this summer. Some need be shown the door at the end of the season and that will be the time to buy.

I have to agree with Gonzo . The trouble with you have just said is that we need to see NOW exactly what Sullivan learnt from last summer .
Not just to give everybody a lift but the simple fact is that if a couple of loan journeymen turn up in this window then nobody of any quality is going to want to come here next season .
It was difficult enough LAST summer when we actually looked a half attractive proposition .

Woo has a saying . Aim low get low .

I bet you was gutted when the Dinosaur left.
0 x

Hammertime

Postby Hammertime » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Hammertime wrote:

I have to agree with Gonzo . The trouble with you have just said is that we need to see NOW exactly what Sullivan learnt from last summer .
Not just to give everybody a lift but the simple fact is that if a couple of loan journeymen turn up in this window then nobody of any quality is going to want to come here next season .
It was difficult enough LAST summer when we actually looked a half attractive proposition .

Woo has a saying . Aim low get low .

I bet you was gutted when the Dinosaur left.

Leave it out, I hated that Fat Twat!

I agree that we will have problems attracting big names in the summer, but don't think there are sensible signings out there right now that will help this cause. As with last summer, none of our targets wanted to join a non-champions league club, despite the money being bandied around by the Daves. So in their naivety they went for quantity over quality and we've suffered this season because of it. I would hope they would be more dogged in their approach this summer, now that the stadium is a reality, if we can keep some of our bigger names and most importantly if the Daves stump the cash to make it happen.
1 x

dagenhamdave

Postby dagenhamdave » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm

I think Palerider says what a lot of us think now, sadly.
0 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:27 pm

dagenhamdave wrote:I think Palerider says what a lot of us think now, sadly.

Not for me.
I love the new stadium and am enjoying match days.

I am fucked off with the rank amateurism and spiv tactics in the transfer dealings though and of course the performances at home.

If we could suddenly operate more efficiently (IF being the operative word), bring in some decent players and then see some decent performances / results at the L.S you would soon see the atmosphere lift.
Chelsea aside..... there's been nothing on the pitch to get exited about.
I went to a number of games at U.P in Fat Sam's last season and it was like a fucking morgue with the same fits of "depression" on show then.
Actually come to think of it it was worse. Many fans got around to booing when winning badly against Hull (something that didn't happen this season when we did the same).
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”