West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Post by Newmarket » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 am

thomasswe wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 am
I always thought Ogbonna was decent and pretty well thought of until this season?
I’ve always defended him over the years Tom , but , they say you get a much better perspective of the game overall when you’re actually AT the game .

You can see all the little things that happen off the ball and you can spot the mistakes players make , quite often before they make ‘em.

I don’t get to go much anymore for one reason or another but I was at Burnley and trust me .

Ogbonna is fucking awful.

A one off it may have been but by the comments from all over for quite a while I don’t think it was.

In the General we appear to have been spoilt but Collins would have been a better option than Ogbonna.
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 am

downunda wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm
I have nothing against Ogbonna as a person but there are good reasons why we previously leaked goals at an alarming rate. As I have said previously Ogbonna costs us 1 goal per game but when it comes to a top 6 team that rises to over 2 per game.
There was once a bloke who made the famous quote There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

According to official PL records (statistics if you prefer) Ogbonna has played 89 games for us and in 20 of those games we have kept clean sheets. Which I guess proves the bloke who made the quote was correct. You both can't be right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

downunda

Post by downunda » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 am
downunda wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm
I have nothing against Ogbonna as a person but there are good reasons why we previously leaked goals at an alarming rate. As I have said previously Ogbonna costs us 1 goal per game but when it comes to a top 6 team that rises to over 2 per game.
There was once a bloke who made the famous quote There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

According to official PL records (statistics if you prefer) Ogbonna has played 89 games for us and in 20 of those games we have kept clean sheets. Which I guess proves the bloke who made the quote was correct. You both can't be right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand corrected, with that team statistic it must mean Ogbonna is a wonderful player :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

downunda wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 am

I stand corrected, with that team statistic it must mean Ogbonna is a wonderful player :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Personally I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
0 x

downunda

Post by downunda » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm
downunda wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Ok fair enough for 69 games it has been a problem
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 pm

downunda wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Don't know how long you've been following the Hammers mate but there have been a lot worse than Ogbonna. I can remember Neil Ruddock, Matthew Upson, Gary Breen our own James Tomkins who, imo, avoided a lot of criticism because he was home grown, and of course the 3 standouts, for me at least, Gary Strodder, Paul Hilton and Colin Foster.
0 x

BoleynBadges

Post by BoleynBadges » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:58 pm

case for the defence Arsenal won’t be able to cope with West Ham trio Carroll, Arnautovic and Anderson, warns Paul Merson
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -anderson/
0 x

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm

thomasswe wrote:
I always thought Ogbonna was decent and pretty well thought of until this season?
He really upped his game under Moyes in a back 5 and looked pretty decent at times.

But in a back 4 he is atrocious and nothing but a liability.

I thought at the end of last season it looked like he had legs to run out of defense and would be good for Pelle's system, but it just looks he doesn't have a clue whats going on a round him.
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm

BCHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm
thomasswe wrote:
He really upped his game under Moyes in a back 5 and looked pretty decent at times.

But in a back 4 he is atrocious and nothing but a liability.

I thought at the end of last season it looked like he had legs to run out of defense and would be good for Pelle's system, but it just looks he doesn't have a clue whats going on a round him.
Mate I used to be a central defender at my peak (yeah ok it wasn't a high peak) and if I was the left side of a defensive partnership having to cover either Masuaku or Cresswell I'd have been tearing my fucking hair out.

We have to look at the bigger picture imo.
2 x

downunda

Post by downunda » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 pm
downunda wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Don't know how long you've been following the Hammers mate but there have been a lot worse than Ogbonna. I can remember Neil Ruddock, Matthew Upson, Gary Breen our own James Tomkins who, imo, avoided a lot of criticism because he was home grown, and of course the 3 standouts, for me at least, Gary Strodder, Paul Hilton and Colin Foster.
I never said Ogbonna was the worst player I have seen mate. In my opinion he was once a good player but I have very little confidence in his ability now days.

He is happier when Carroll is playing because it gives him the option to just hoof the ball forward instead of playing out from the back. This is something he is not confidant doing and can easily get caught out.

Statistics aren’t the only thing to go by, I prefer to watch the game, normally more than once and judge on what I see. Obviously this then comes down to a matter of opinion, this is why I don’t fully agree with your comments regarding the players above.

The length of time being a West Ham supporter is certainly not relative to a person’s knowledge of a player’s performance within a team. Having said that, as an ex season ticket holder, and first attending Upton Park in the mid sixties, I don’t really think that should come into question.
0 x

Social Media