2nd half of the season

Chat about anything football related here!

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

2nd half of the season

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 am

I was listening to a bloke from one of the gambling firms yesterday about various odds. He reckons that it could be the lowest points total ever to stay up. The current record is West Brom with 34. So going by that, in theory, we need 5 points from 17 games to be safe. Which includes home games against Fulham, Huddersfield and Southampton.

Nothing's a given of course. Not that I ever expected us to be in danger anyway. But what do we want from the last 4 months ?

We're decimated by injuries and our star prima-donna wants out.

I'd not tempt fate Mark Noble style and risk 17th and an FA cup win, but lower mid-table obscurity and a Wembley appearance would do for me all things considering.

Whatever happens, I've been happy with Pellegrini's change of tack. Whether or not the dwarf caves in to Arnie is neither here nor there really as I don't envisage the Austrian being with us next season. If he does take the bait this month I'd be inclined to get a loan in as replacement and not waste it on a permanent buy who's rubbish. 95% of decent deals are done in the Summer and I trust MP and his team to be on the case even now to move forward.

It was never going to be easy fitting in as many players as we did, and next Summer the emphasis should be on quality over quantity.

We won't go down and we won't finish 7th with the lottery that is the Europa League.

The future I'd say is better than it's been for a while.
1 x
Determined to take us to the next level.

Whiskyman

Re: 2nd half of the season

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 am

I would happily settle for nobody incoming in January unless it's a short term loan to cover long term absentees. January signings as everyone is saying are always over priced, driven by panic and usually crap vfm. I also think that with those long term injuries we would struggle to qualify for the Europa League anyway and as that is probably the pinnacle of our ambition I wouldn't have a problem if Pellegrini introduced some of his better youngsters for the odd appearance.

The obvious one is Silva I suppose and a lot of people seem to rate Holland. Powell and Coventry have sat on the bench so must offer something. Imo until you actually see a kid playing proper football against proper opponents you can't really judge them. Have a look at how they perform when they step up to the PL and it will give the management team a better idea of how many new additions will be needed in the summer when the real transfer business is done.

As for Arnautovic and any other unsettled players. No point keeping them if they don't want to be here. Just get the best possible transfer deal and move on.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Social Media