European Super League..Not so super IMO.

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

European Super League..Not so super IMO.

Post by terrya1965 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47177690

I could give go some many reasons why I think many fans wouldn`t be happy.

It will only be the owners of the Football Clubs that will benefit from it.

The teams fans,that are in the Super League are use to winning things will soon get bored if they aren`t winning anything at all.

It will be end of the Champions League.

It will not generate the atmosphere(for English teams anyway)for playing your local rivals.

I think that many fans after a few years will stop turning up and they would be playing in half empty stadiums..The English clubs will be wishing they were back playing in front of full stadiums,like the one's they left behind.

You look at the World Championships in December..Basically a non event.

Thoughts..
0 x

mkhammer

Re: European Super League..Not so super IMO.

Post by mkhammer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Simple really....if some one comes up with a concept that generates more money it'll
happen,if they can't, it won't.
What fans,players,managers want is irrelevant,they do as they're told...They work for the TV
Companies now.
Someone on that said "it's not about football it's about entertainment" pretty much spot on.

Think attendances are already dropping Tel,a fair bit at that,I try and catch MOTD Sunday
mornings and see loads of empty seats......Spuds the other day was 29...
Arse certainly are only 65/70% on capacity,lots of others same...hence why they quote
"Ticket Sales" not Attendance....£800/Grand not a lot for a lot of people,if means they can pick
and choose games.

Think your right about the trickle down of crowds creating a lack of atmosphere,would imagine
teams will only open up pitch side seating...dependant on game,bit of clever camera work...
bit of noise creation....make it seem good for the TV..
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:58 pm

European super league would only work if there was some sort of promotion and relegation involved and I don't see how that can be achieved tbh. And as Terry says it would kill off the Champions League although I guess we might still get a sort of dumbed down one without the presence of the elite teams.
0 x
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Вест Хам

Post by Вест Хам » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 pm

The European Super League is nonsense and I hope that the fans of the clubs involved boycott that shit.

As for the World Championship being a non-event. It is probably the biggest club achievement that is constantly the goal of every club in North and South America. The continental titles are merely a step towards playing in the world title. I'd say that the only confederation that doesn't care about it is probably UEFA.
1 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 am

What most owners want is ring fencing. You get all the money all the time, with no risk of it ever drying up.
Big English and European club's would jump at an NFL style league. And it would be fuck you to anyone and everyone not included.

It's the modern world. Cobblers to tradition and merit. We gave the world football, only for foreigners or women or the disableds to take advantage of it.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 am
What most owners want is ring fencing. You get all the money all the time, with no risk of it ever drying up.
Big English and European club's would jump at an NFL style league. And it would be fuck you to anyone and everyone not included.

It's the modern world. Cobblers to tradition and merit. We gave the world football, only for foreigners or women or the disableds to take advantage of it.
Merit and ability has to be rewarded. Tradition ? Fuck it. That's why we still have our national stadium in fucking Wembley. And that's just one example. Tradition for it's own sake is bollocks . "We've always done it this way" is the most dangerous sentence in the language imo.
0 x
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:25 am

Who decides who goes in the super league if it haapens. Lots of clubs was big clubs once like Ajax and AC Milan but today they arent succesful. Who says Arsenal are a big club ? Aint won the league for years. Spurs recon they are but they aint won nothing for ages. Like whiskey says if there aint promotion anf relegation its boring and wont work.
0 x

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 am

I wish they'd stop talking about it and fuck of.

I'd love a scenario where West Ham, Wolves, Everton & Leeds were fighting it out to win the national title.

All I would hope is that once the clubs start playing in front of half-full stadia and ask to return we say no. They'll grow sick of watching Munich v Man U for the 4th time in a season, get bored of the lack of rivalry and wonder why the prem and bundesliga still have the most vibrant atmospheres.

We'll thrive domestically and actually make the home competitions competitive again which in turn will produce really compelling games.

Bring it on.
1 x

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 am
I wish they'd stop talking about it and fuck of.

I'd love a scenario where West Ham, Wolves, Everton & Leeds were fighting it out to win the national title.

All I would hope is that once the clubs start playing in front of half-full stadia and ask to return we say no. They'll grow sick of watching Munich v Man U for the 4th time in a season, get bored of the lack of rivalry and wonder why the prem and bundesliga still have the most vibrant atmospheres.

We'll thrive domestically and actually make the home competitions competitive again which in turn will produce really compelling games.

Bring it on.
If it were to happen the way you say, Nostrildamus, then I would be on board with it.

But the idea of the whole thing worries me that it will fuck football forever, and I’ll be trying to convince my grandkids that football wasn’t always plastic, and played in empty stadiums.
0 x

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm

We'd be alright because England has a sustained history of supporting and maintaining 4 professional leagues. The fact that the Championship is the 4th highest attended league in Europe shows that we have an appetite for non elite football.

It would be leagues like France that would suffer which would be a shame. So many youngsters come through French academies that the collapse of their professional game would signal the end.

That being said are PSG really a French team? No. They're a bunch of mercenary players performing for Qatar.

Look at City and show me a Mancunian lad.... I'm not sure there is one so they don't really need to be a domestic team.

At least we have Rice, Antonio, Noble, Diang, Fredricks & Wilshere who are all Londoners. Brexit and the rules that follow should further facilitate more home grown players so I'm far from fearful about this move.
0 x

Social Media