European Super League..Not so super IMO.

Chat about anything football related here!
Caboose

Re: European Super League..Not so super IMO.

Post by Caboose » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm
We'd be alright because England has a sustained history of supporting and maintaining 4 professional leagues. The fact that the Championship is the 4th highest attended league in Europe shows that we have an appetite for non elite football.

It would be leagues like France that would suffer which would be a shame. So many youngsters come through French academies that the collapse of their professional game would signal the end.

That being said are PSG really a French team? No. They're a bunch of mercenary players performing for Qatar.

Look at City and show me a Mancunian lad.... I'm not sure there is one so they don't really need to be a domestic team.

At least we have Rice, Antonio, Noble, Diang, Fredricks & Wilshere who are all Londoners. Brexit and the rules that follow should further facilitate more home grown players so I'm far from fearful about this move.
So if brexit means no more foreign players that means shittier football at all clubs. No Lanzini, Anderson, Arnie, Fab,Balbuena and loads more. Big crowds come to see top players not crap ones and tv comps pay to show top players. diont like the european league idea but dont like the idea of no foreign players in the league either. would turn it to shit.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 am
Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 am
What most owners want is ring fencing. You get all the money all the time, with no risk of it ever drying up.
Big English and European club's would jump at an NFL style league. And it would be fuck you to anyone and everyone not included.

It's the modern world. Cobblers to tradition and merit. We gave the world football, only for foreigners or women or the disableds to take advantage of it.
Merit and ability has to be rewarded. Tradition ? Fuck it. That's why we still have our national stadium in fucking Wembley. And that's just one example. Tradition for it's own sake is bollocks . "We've always done it this way" is the most dangerous sentence in the language imo.
I'm talking about the tradition of meritocracy. Of non league teams getting drawn away to a big team in the cup.
There will be no more fairytales like Leicester. No more traditional powerhouses -- like Blackburn a few years ago -- returning to the limelight.
And we'll have the plastics, who in truth were no bigger than Millwank in the 80s, elevated to untouchable. Fuck that.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Caboose wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm
Gonzo wrote:
We'd be alright because England has a sustained history of supporting and maintaining 4 professional leagues. The fact that the Championship is the 4th highest attended league in Europe shows that we have an appetite for non elite football.

It would be leagues like France that would suffer which would be a shame. So many youngsters come through French academies that the collapse of their professional game would signal the end.

That being said are PSG really a French team? No. They're a bunch of mercenary players performing for Qatar.

Look at City and show me a Mancunian lad.... I'm not sure there is one so they don't really need to be a domestic team.

At least we have Rice, Antonio, Noble, Diang, Fredricks & Wilshere who are all Londoners. Brexit and the rules that follow should further facilitate more home grown players so I'm far from fearful about this move.
So if brexit means no more foreign players that means shittier football at all clubs. No Lanzini, Anderson, Arnie, Fab,Balbuena and loads more. Big crowds come to see top players not crap ones and tv comps pay to show top players. diont like the european league idea but dont like the idea of no foreign players in the league either. would turn it to shit.
I really can't see how Brexit will impact, won't this country be in the position of deciding who can and can't come into the country? And in reality it would only affect those from EU Nations wouldn't it? Why would the Football governing bodies not grant work permits and ruin the premier League?
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 am

Merit and ability has to be rewarded. Tradition ? Fuck it. That's why we still have our national stadium in fucking Wembley. And that's just one example. Tradition for it's own sake is bollocks . "We've always done it this way" is the most dangerous sentence in the language imo.
I'm talking about the tradition of meritocracy. Of non league teams getting drawn away to a big team in the cup.
There will be no more fairytales like Leicester. No more traditional powerhouses -- like Blackburn a few years ago -- returning to the limelight.
And we'll have the plastics, who in truth were no bigger than Millwank in the 80s, elevated to untouchable. Fuck that.
Not a dig at you Neville but I find it amusing that many people who tut tut about Man City's wealth and moan about them buying trophies often quote Blackburn as an example of one of those fairytales you mention. I have nothing against Blackburn at all, and the late Jack Walker was, imo, perfectly entitled to spend his own money exactly as he wished. And what he wished was to buy some success for Blackburn. Good luck to him I say. People who moan about the clubs with money wouldn't moan if their own club suddenly found a rich sugar daddy. Don't believe me? See if you can did up some of the forum postings when that soppy cunt with big ears was spending Gudmundsson's cash on all sorts of crap like Ljungberg and Dyer.

All of which has got nothing to do with the topic of course. ;) European Super League will never take off imo unless there is some way promotion into it and relegation out can be implemented.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Ironworksfc wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 pm
Caboose wrote:

I really can't see how Brexit will impact, won't this country be in the position of deciding who can and can't come into the country? And in reality it would only affect those from EU Nations wouldn't it? Why would the Football governing bodies not grant work permits and ruin the premier League?

You are right. But the hardline Brexiteers want restrictions on who is allowed in. As I understand it skilled labour in key jobs where there are shortages, like in the medical profession, will be welcomed, unskilled will not. I don't think playing football can be described as a key job. But the cynic in me says the exchequer will be concerned about the potential loss in tax revenues from overseas players on massive contracts and that blind eyes will be turned.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Caboose wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Eh??? Nobody said that Brexit meant no more foreign players.

Anderson, Lanzini & Balbuena are on visa's and work permits. They are not EU citizens so would continue exactly as they are.

Fabianski (Poland) and Arnie (Austria) as established internationals would receive permits under the current FA rules.

What you'd find is that players such as Obiang and Perez would struggle for work permits so naturally it would lead to more domestic players.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:

Not a dig at you Neville but I find it amusing that many people who tut tut about Man City's wealth and moan about them buying trophies often quote Blackburn as an example of one of those fairytales you mention. I have nothing against Blackburn at all, and the late Jack Walker was, imo, perfectly entitled to spend his own money exactly as he wished. And what he wished was to buy some success for Blackburn. Good luck to him I say. People who moan about the clubs with money wouldn't moan if their own club suddenly found a rich sugar daddy. Don't believe me? See if you can did up some of the forum postings when that soppy cunt with big ears was spending Gudmundsson's cash on all sorts of crap like Ljungberg and Dyer.

All of which has got nothing to do with the topic of course. ;) European Super League will never take off imo unless there is some way promotion into it and relegation out can be implemented.
Your last paragraph is exactly why the owners do want it,because of no relegation.It becomes a monopoly and they are guaranteed to print money. It's F*ck the fans what they want,it`s what we can make from it.
It should never be allowed to happen in that respect,but I do like the idea of a National League without the greedy f*ckers has Gonzo said.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:

I can't recall moaning about money men coming into clubs.
Yes, it can be a bit gauche and gaudy, but in truth it does stop things becoming stale and predictable.
Without the likes of the Saudis, the Chinese, and various Russian oligarchs, we could end up like just about every other major European league, as one or two horse race.
Love them or hate them the likes of City, the dippers, the plastics, and Blackburn back in the day, have probably prevented Manure becoming the PSG, Juventus, or Bayern Munich of the PL. So unrivalled in spending power that they can dominate unopposed for decades.
I find it telling that no English club has ever won 4 domestic league titles on the spin.
And long may that stat continue.

I'd fucking love a multi billionaire to buy West Ham. Mainly because that looks like the only way we'll win another trophy in my lifetime.

I think the most likely way any European superleague comes into existence is as a replacement for the Champions League.
I just don't see any club risking the long term security of it's domestic leagues and cups.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 pm
Whiskyman wrote:

Your last paragraph is exactly why the owners do want it,because of no relegation.It becomes a monopoly and they are guaranteed to print money. It's F*ck the fans what they want,it`s what we can make from it.
It should never be allowed to happen in that respect,but I do like the idea of a National League without the greedy f*ckers has Gonzo said.
National leagues without the Manchester Uniteds, Bayerns and Barcelonas wouldn't be worth a wank mate. A championship is supposed to show us who the best team is. If all the best teams had fucked off elsewhere the title of "champions" would be pretty meaningless.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm
Whiskyman wrote:

I can't recall moaning about money men coming into clubs.
Yes, it can be a bit gauche and gaudy, but in truth it does stop things becoming stale and predictable.
Without the likes of the Saudis, the Chinese, and various Russian oligarchs, we could end up like just about every other major European league, as one or two horse race.
Love them or hate them the likes of City, the dippers, the plastics, and Blackburn back in the day, have probably prevented Manure becoming the PSG, Juventus, or Bayern Munich of the PL. So unrivalled in spending power that they can dominate unopposed for decades.
I find it telling that no English club has ever won 4 domestic league titles on the spin.
And long may that stat continue.

I'd fucking love a multi billionaire to buy West Ham. Mainly because that looks like the only way we'll win another trophy in my lifetime.

I think the most likely way any European superleague comes into existence is as a replacement for the Champions League.
I just don't see any club risking the long term security of it's domestic leagues and cups.
A European super league would be ring fenced if there is no promotion and relegation. At least the Champions League gives other clubs the chance to qualify although it does tend to be the same bunch, at least from our league.
0 x

Social Media