Hammers United - New supporters group

Chat about anything football related here!
Phil

Re: Hammers United - New supporters group

Post by Phil » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:22 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:54 pm
Obviously the change of bands, price increases etc, don't affect those of us like me who don't go anymore so it's difficult for us to get excited about them. But in the end it will all come down to economics. If season tickets sell out again the board will say prices aren't too expensive. But if sales tank it's a totally different matter entirely. The only way ANY board of any company will reduce prices is if sales drop.

And isn't it a bit difficult to keep up with the alphabet soup of all the various fan groups doing the rounds at the moment ? Why so many ? Do they all have different agendas ? Surely it would be better to have one "super group", singing from one hymn sheet, than lots of smaller ones who, in many cases, seem to be competing against each other.
How many groups of this type are there?
I know of 2..

The whole aim of Hammers United is to unite ALL West Ham United fans...groups can work together.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Phil wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:22 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:54 pm
Obviously the change of bands, price increases etc, don't affect those of us like me who don't go anymore so it's difficult for us to get excited about them. But in the end it will all come down to economics. If season tickets sell out again the board will say prices aren't too expensive. But if sales tank it's a totally different matter entirely. The only way ANY board of any company will reduce prices is if sales drop.

And isn't it a bit difficult to keep up with the alphabet soup of all the various fan groups doing the rounds at the moment ? Why so many ? Do they all have different agendas ? Surely it would be better to have one "super group", singing from one hymn sheet, than lots of smaller ones who, in many cases, seem to be competing against each other.
How many groups of this type are there?
I know of 2..

The whole aim of Hammers United is to unite ALL West Ham United fans...groups can work together.
Don't know (or care) how many there are tbh Phil. But there have been more than 2 in the last 12/18 months. But whether it's two or twenty two my point is that surely it would be better to roll everything into one group and speak with one voice. At present it looks from the outside that there are several little groups, which could be one big one, all jockeying for position claiming to represent the "real" West Ham fans. Surely better to join an already established group and, if you're not happy with what they're trying to do, try to change from within. As someone has already pointed out it's becoming a bit like the Judaean People's Front v The People's Front of Judaea. But at least that gave us all a laugh. ;)
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

prince of wales

Post by prince of wales » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 am

HAMMERS UNITED MEETING.APRIL 20th.PLAISTOW COMMUNITY CENTRE.
We decided to move our next committee meeting to Plaistow to try and generate a bit of business for the area.We invited anyone interested to pop along for a chat .However ,so many want to come we have now booked the hall at
PLAISTOW COMMUNITY CENTRE.Queens Road West.E13 0PE.
The meeting will start at 11.30am sharp.There is a bar in the Hall which adjoins the main Plaistow club bar.
Ann Harris at the club has been a good friend to West Ham Supporters over the years.The Club has struggled since West Ham United moved to Stratford and hopefully having the meeting there will give it a boost.The Club will be open from 10.00am.
To get to the club you turn right at the station and walk past The Vic.before turning left at the traffic lights then after 200 yards right into Queens Road West.Paul and Trudi at the Vic.are very much of the West Ham family and still get a good crowd in on matchdays.The Vic also opens at 10.00am.
Val at the Lord Stanley,around 150 yards from the Club is another who was good to us over the years and I hope some of her old regulars find time to pop in before or after the meeting.
At the meeting we will introduce Hammers United and explain what we are about.We will then throw the meeting open allowing anyone to speak.
We look forward to seeing you there.
0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 am

redhammer wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:21 pm
Little but effective video by Paul

Sincerity and honesty go along way. And the message always works better when it's calm and measured.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:21 pm

Probably an unpopular view that will get me slated but I find all this quite sad. Obviously these people are loyal supporters and they are genuine in their belief that they can somehow influence change. But, and it's a fucking great monster sized BUT, even if they do get the "board round the table", which has been done before by other groups before, do they really think anything will change as a result? Take the bloke whose band changed. I bet he renewed. But even if he didn't someone from the supposedly massive waiting list would have taken his place. The only time the BofD will sit up and take notice is when revenue drops. That doesn't have to be revenue from ticket sales it can also be club merchandise revenue. It might be an unpopular view but I've got very little time for people who feel they are being shat on from a great height yet continue to stand under the big black cloud the shit's coming from.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

prince of wales

Post by prince of wales » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Whiskeyman.I understand your view mate and you may be right.-We shall see.The only thing I would disagree with you is the last sentence.-We have had enough of being shit on from a great height and are trying to do something about it.
1 x

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Agree with whiskey. Only thing that'll change is if people stop buying tickets and spending in the shop. S&G aint the type of people to take notice of fans opinions.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:33 pm

prince of wales wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:38 pm
Whiskeyman.I understand your view mate and you may be right.-We shall see.The only thing I would disagree with you is the last sentence.-We have had enough of being shit on from a great height and are trying to do something about it.

I wish you well, I really do. What I meant about the being shit on bit is that football isn't like any other business. I shop at Tescos but if they piss me off it wouldn't be any skin off my nose to shop at Sainsbury's or Asda (I draw the line at Morrisons ;) ). That's Tesco's incentive to keep me and others like me as a customer. Football club boards know their fans aren't suddenly going to start shopping somewhere else so unless numbers stop flooding into the stadiums or buying official merchandise they have no incentive to change.

In fact with my business hat on if they jack up prices and they still sell out they've even got an incentive to apply further increases to see what the breaking point is. A football fan's only effective means of protest is with their wallets I'm afraid. And there are still a great many who feel they are dumped on still shelling out the sovs on tickets (understandable as they love the game) and in the club shop (not as understandable imo.) Nonetheless I wish you and the group well and will watch your progress with interest.

Nice video clip btw. Came across very well imo
1 x

prince of wales

Post by prince of wales » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:25 pm

We would love to do an interview with Hammers Chat.I realise this might not be top of your priorities at the moment but if and when you think the time is right we would be very happy to oblige.-Thank-You.
0 x

prince of wales

Post by prince of wales » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Meeting of Hammers United Members on Saturday April 20th commencing at 11.30 hrs.at Plaistow Park Community Centre,Queens Road West, E13 0PE.

1.Election of Committee.

2.To consider our aims, and points to be put to the Board of West Ham United.

3.To consider campaign should the Board of West Ham United not agree to meet.

4.Recruitment campaign.

5.Any other business.
0 x

Social Media