And so.....the end is near

Chat about anything football related here!
Clayton

Re: And so.....the end is near

Post by Clayton » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Would have loved to have seen what Pellegrini could have done with a fully fit team and Payet :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Ironworksfc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:59 pm
If we can't perform better than wolves and Watford, something is still wrong
Yeah our midfield is poorer then both of those teams .
0 x

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 am

Clayton wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 pm
Ironworksfc wrote:
Yeah our midfield is poorer then both of those teams .
Midfield is the key.

And the area the dwarf must prioritise on in the summer. Not doing so will result in yet another season of mediocrity........or worse.

My advice to Charlie Adam and Harry Arter would be to not be too far away from the phone.
0 x
Determined to take us to the next level.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 am

Ironworksfc wrote:
Possibly true. But do we have a divine right to perform better than Watford & Wolves ? Isn't that sort of comment a bit "Spursy" ?
2 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm
C&H have written a story today which features the turnovers of a few of the clubs.

Unsurprisingly we're nowhere near the top 6 and our closest rivals financially are Everton, Wolves & Leicester.

Anyway, here's the bit that caught my eye . . .

Our real competitors in the top flight now are the likes of Everton, Leicester City and Wolves all of whom are above us in the Premier League table at the moment and there could be a good reason for that!

When looking at net spend on transfers over the past three seasons each one of those clubs has outspent us.

Everton has spent £194m net, Wolves £192m net and Leicester City £172m net compared to West Ham’s £109m net over the same period.

Looking at total revenue over the past three years with Everton and Leicester City compared against West Ham. Leicester City earned £521m with Everton on £482m with West Ham on £501m over the same period. Everton’s revenue last season was £189m which was £14m ahead of West Ham at £175m.

All of which begs the question . . . . why did we move?

That being said we are worse than those clubs and you can add Watford into the mix too. I have resigned myself to the fact that we'll have to continue to fluke mediocrity under the current ownership such is their ineptitude and mismanagement.
What was Fulham's Net Spend this season ?
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:00 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 pm
But here we are in an Olympic Stadium 50,000 plus guaranteed more or less every game,
Buying Players for 40 Mill,paying them upwards 100 grand a week,prob the Highest paid manager
in world footie...def up there......excellent transport links... :lol: ...........
And where the fuck are we Same Old Same Old....no progression
I dont get why people really think that a few extra seats and a decent summer budget would automatically transform West Ham into a Champions League side and I dont agree with the above that we have not progressed. We have albeit with a small step up.

We are certainly far better off than last season with no flirting with relegation and playing most of the season around 8/9th spot after completely changing our style of play which fucked the start of the season and but it is a small step progression which is the only real way to go and how far we reach depends on making more of these over the years but it takes time. Even Man City took a few years and they had an unlimited budget. The days of Robinho and Jo and Adebeyor and they were still mid table for a while.

Spending 100M and having 20K extra seats is great but

1) Fulham spent 110M on transfers last summer. Money is no guarantee. I am sure their fans were obsessed with Net Spend too.
2) 20K seats makes little difference as the vast majority of the money comes from SKY/BT and assorted broadcast deals
3) There are a few other teams with big stadia also
4) There are many other teams that spent bigger. Everton spent almost 200M and until last week were below us.
5) If we had the injuries we had this season we would have been relegated last. We have a bit more depth of squad bit we need to replace more over the next two summers to really challenge
6) We have not been able to rest anyone especially at the back hence the reason we have tailed off and Watford have come on strong. They had the same issue the last two seasons but have slowly built depth at the back and it paid off this season at last. We have just started to do that.
7) We play a much better land based style of football which I thought is what West Ham fans wanted.

For me, as long as I see us getting better season on season then I am happy for it to be a long term plan. Would rather that than do a Burnley and have one good season and then implode. I think we have iomporived as much as we can reasonably hoped to have in the first season under Pellegrini.

I think we have done ok despite all the injuries and the task of changing the mentality and style of the team's play but I think we just need to now offload a number of players and then invest in 3 or 4 players of the type Pelle wants each summer and we will be much stronger.
1 x
Watchout for Spongebob

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 pm
Me..Not Happy,as big a disappointing season as I can remember,last one this bad was first season at
the Iconic...followed by last year...this aint going well.. :lol:

But seriously, made me realise how far behind the others we are....really thought maybe it was doable,
to get closer and build, but we're way of the pace,I think we rank about in that 12th to 17th spot,
I think that's where we deserve to be,knocking round with Palace,B'mouth,Burnley,Geordies,
thats terrible...without the brilliance of Fabs this year,and Udders and fulham being totally
rubbish,we'd be looking over our shoulders still..

I read somewhere if we fail to make the top 10,be the first time in 30 years we've spent 3
consecutive years outside of it...quick check and thats right..

If we we're at Upton...wouldn't give a shit....well.. be pissed off,but we were what we were,
I don't like losing,would still start season of wanting to win the the League,but I'm also
a realist,prob not gonna happen... :lol:

But the Move Changed everything for me....wanted to leave that behind with all the Memories
and welcome a New West Ham....for the Kids..The Future..
But here we are in an Olympic Stadium 50,000 plus guaranteed more or less every game,
Buying Players for 40 Mill,paying them upwards 100 grand a week,prob the Highest paid manager
in world footie...def up there......excellent transport links... :lol: ...........
And where the fuck are we Same Old Same Old....no progression what so ever,on or off the pitch,
I think we're kidding ourselves if we think Pellers improving the footie....I'm not seeing it,
not a touch on some of the stuff Slaven had us playing for a while there,we weren't a one man
team,brilliant as he was...thought Kouyate was exceptional that year and others.

If not for Injuries,would be having,well in fact I am having some doubts about Pellegrini,
been out sussed tactically a lot this year,poor sides like Udders,Cardiff,Brighton are out
playing us and beating us,just not good enough..

Our Owners haven't got a clue about how to run a reasonably good footie club,and they not
learning.....they're in some fantasy league thing FFS...

So I'm not Happy....but I'll still go,and for some perverse reason still look forward to it... :lol:
can i agree with MK & Pale? polar opposite views but somehow sum up my feelings through out the season. wasnt keen on pelli (even less so after 4 games funnily enough) grew on me end of the year, lost a bit of confidence now...so ill say, happy enough he is here and will defo give him the WHOLE of next season to see what he can do with our squad and budget. If he brings thru a couple more youngsters and doesnt get swayed in to buying hasbeens will be happier still.
0 x

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm
C&H have written a story today which features the turnovers of a few of the clubs.

Unsurprisingly we're nowhere near the top 6 and our closest rivals financially are Everton, Wolves & Leicester.

Anyway, here's the bit that caught my eye . . .

Our real competitors in the top flight now are the likes of Everton, Leicester City and Wolves all of whom are above us in the Premier League table at the moment and there could be a good reason for that!

When looking at net spend on transfers over the past three seasons each one of those clubs has outspent us.

Everton has spent £194m net, Wolves £192m net and Leicester City £172m net compared to West Ham’s £109m net over the same period.

Looking at total revenue over the past three years with Everton and Leicester City compared against West Ham. Leicester City earned £521m with Everton on £482m with West Ham on £501m over the same period. Everton’s revenue last season was £189m which was £14m ahead of West Ham at £175m.

All of which begs the question . . . . why did we move?

That being said we are worse than those clubs and you can add Watford into the mix too. I have resigned myself to the fact that we'll have to continue to fluke mediocrity under the current ownership such is their ineptitude and mismanagement.
Fuck knows mate, somewhere between £60-£100m but can't be arsed to google it.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm
h69 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Fuck knows mate, somewhere between £60-£100m but can't be arsed to google it.
Apparently 110m. I did the google thingy though you have to average out all the reports given that there are so many fees not made public.
1 x
Watchout for Spongebob

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm

A 6/10 season for me.
Modest improvement but considerably less than I’d hoped for (albeit not “expected” as you get a rollicking on here for being ‘Spursy’ if you expect too much ;) ). Especially since Jan where it’s all gone a bit “Curbishley”.

I’ll stick with my position in that I’ll judge MP and his “project” (I do love how that word has wriggled its way into football and yet no-one seems to know what it actually signifies) in season 2.
If we have a repeat of this season then, for me it’s a failure.

Talk all you want about expenditure, investment but, for me..... we have every right to expect to see more out of the squad that we currently have. Whether they’re thinking with a “big club mentality” or not.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Social Media