Page 4 of 5

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 am
by palerider
ToneLoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am
h69 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am


Exactly. The whole spend figure is really only a guide. Our best acquisition was arguably the cheapest. Spurs model is to find good young players, develop and eventually sell them for a huge fee...Bale nearly changed their entire squad. Kane was an academy player. Alli was young when they got him. The trick is to actyually play them.

I would hope that Pellegrini will do a bit more of that than the last 4 managers and from what I have seen with Rice and others it looks like he may well do.

It is actually the only sustainable model for clubs outside the top 6 as the money train will eventually hit a wall.
In one way it gives me hope because it IS achievable in a fiscal sense.
However, it takes a lot of smart thinking and real experts making key decisions, that’s the bit depresses me because Sullivan could hire a team of the world’s best footballing strategists but he’d still be telling them what to do because he just can’t help it.
Indeed Tone.

The best referees are the ones you don't notice and the same applies to owners.

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 pm
by Whiskyman
ToneLoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:10 am


More pertinently what was Spurs net spend ? They are proof that a club with income streams at similar levels to ours can, with proper leadership and management from the boardroom, be relatively successful. Unfortunately from our point of view they have a forward thinking board and we have the Dildo Brothers.
Nailed on.
It ain’t how big it is it’s what you do with it !!
As much as I can’t stand Spurs.... their considerable (relative to us) success certainly reduces the number of hiding places for our inept and out of its depth club hierarchy.
Edit: Perhaps “inept” is letting them off lightly?? There’s also an argument to suggest they know exactly what they’re doing but just don’t believe in a progressive business model because it’s all about quick and regular little earners.
I think you too have it nailed on Tone in respect of the intentions of our beloved tit wigglers. The porn industry is not known for building sustainable business models and building for the future. As you say it is made for the Arthur Daleyesque entrepreneur. A quick in and out, somewhat appropriate for that business eh. ;)

But of course they saved the club so I suppose we should all be eternally grateful to them. :lol:

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm
by ToneLoc
Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 pm
ToneLoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

Nailed on.
It ain’t how big it is it’s what you do with it !!
As much as I can’t stand Spurs.... their considerable (relative to us) success certainly reduces the number of hiding places for our inept and out of its depth club hierarchy.
Edit: Perhaps “inept” is letting them off lightly?? There’s also an argument to suggest they know exactly what they’re doing but just don’t believe in a progressive business model because it’s all about quick and regular little earners.
I think you too have it nailed on Tone in respect of the intentions of our beloved tit wigglers. The porn industry is not known for building sustainable business models and building for the future. As you say it is made for the Arthur Daleyesque entrepreneur. A quick in and out, somewhat appropriate for that business eh. ;)
I wish we had a Sid James emoticon on here :)

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm
by SoggyOggy
IronsForever wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:03 pm
At least this season we have had a go at the big teams.
When we lost 50% of the midfield players in Whilshire and Sanchez it was always going to be a struggle. Plus losing Balbuena , Lanzini and Yarmelenko. Another season dogged by injuries to key players. The whole strike force wanting to leave hasn't helped either. All things considered, playing a new system and what not i am content.
Expecting major changes next year which is going to make it an interesting summer for us.
Basically we've been operating for an entire season without a midfield. Yikes

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm
by IronsForever
SoggyOggy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm
IronsForever wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:03 pm
At least this season we have had a go at the big teams.
When we lost 50% of the midfield players in Whilshire and Sanchez it was always going to be a struggle. Plus losing Balbuena , Lanzini and Yarmelenko. Another season dogged by injuries to key players. The whole strike force wanting to leave hasn't helped either. All things considered, playing a new system and what not i am content.
Expecting major changes next year which is going to make it an interesting summer for us.
Basically we've been operating for an entire season without a midfield. Yikes
Basically its the same midfield that has fought 2 relegation battles. Pellegrini brought in 2 and they never lasted 6 games.

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm
by hd1
Ironworksfc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:59 pm
If we can't perform better than wolves and Watford, something is still wrong
Why? We don't have some god given right to be better than them. We have to earn it by having the right owners, the right manager, the right backroom staff, the right transfer policy and the right players. In the last 30 years we've had none of these.

Whilst we still have shitty owners, the rest is starting to fall into place, and I would expect us to be competing with Wolves and Watford etc. properly next season.

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:33 pm
by Ironworksfc
hd1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm
Ironworksfc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:59 pm
If we can't perform better than wolves and Watford, something is still wrong
Why? We don't have some god given right to be better than them. We have to earn it by having the right owners, the right manager, the right backroom staff, the right transfer policy and the right players. In the last 30 years we've had none of these.

Whilst we still have shitty owners, the rest is starting to fall into place, and I would expect us to be competing with Wolves and Watford etc. properly next season.
In your response you have pretty much made my point for me.

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 am
by palerider
I suppose you could argue that Newcastle needed a couple more points to be safe but the way they fought and pressurised Leicester last night put our efforts against Everton to shame and shows what you can do with a bit of pace and hard work. Leicester had won four on the bounce too.

And it wouldn't surprise me if they finished above us.

I'm not knocking Pellegrini as he's had a lot to deal with this season but a great deal of work needs to be done in the summer. A squad overhaul but without the funds to do it.

The dwarf's first signing should be Harry Houdini.

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am
by garnett
Poor Season.
Long and the short of it was our SQUAD wasnt strong enough, injuries are part n parcel of the game, its a SQUAD and injuries should be expected.
I still dont believe that with a full squad at his disposal he doesnt know his best team nor formation, he has made some odd selection and even odder substitutions.

I dont believe he is the man to take us further, age isnt on his side.

Finally, I would like to congratulate 2 players, Rice for the excellent progress he has made this season and my Hammer of the Year Fabianski, without his heroics between the sticks we would have been in another relegation fight.

Re: And so.....the end is near

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:24 am
by Whiskyman
garnett wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

I dont believe he is the man to take us further, age isnt on his side.

Finally, I would like to congratulate 2 players, Rice for the excellent progress he has made this season and my Hammer of the Year Fabianski, without his heroics between the sticks we would have been in another relegation fight.
His age is a problem. But imo he's as good as it's likely to get for us. The younger up and coming managers like Emery will choose bigger or more progressive clubs and we'll be left to pick from the ones on the way down or the old recycled manager merry go round crap like Bruce and co.