Is the PL rigged?

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Is the PL rigged?

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 am

Newmarket wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:57 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 pm

I would have thought that was obvious. TV figures are pretty much always guaranteed to be high at the start and end of the season. The so called key games are wanted by the TV companies to be spread out across the season. And he who pays the piper, as they say.

My point is that it makes absolutely no difference when the West Ham Uniteds of this world are defeated by the Manchester Citys. It's going to happen sometime, why not get it over with. ;)

Tbh I'm amazed the people who are obsessed with the idea the whole thing is rigged bother following football at all. Would you watch a competition knowing the result was a foregone conclusion ? But I suppose it's always more comforting to blame someone else for your own shortcomings and deficiencies than it is to face up to them.
Did that last sentence just suddenly come to you afterwards ?
No. But one of the things that has always pissed me off big time is people who always find reasons for failure that avoid them looking inwards to themselves. Or the football clubs they support. ;)
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:29 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 am
Newmarket wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Did that last sentence just suddenly come to you afterwards ?
No. But one of the things that has always pissed me off big time is people who always find reasons for failure that avoid them looking inwards to themselves. Or the football clubs they support. ;)
As you said earlier it's not as if there's a conspiracy having 'lesser' teams playing the top 6 more than twice each.

As for the argument that playing a big team to start the season stops a confident start, look at the lift it gives if you beat one, like we did in Bilic's first season, our best season for years. Conversely. lose to a promoted team and it could give a massive dent to confidence.

Just play the cards you're dealt with.

I accept that poor refereeing decisions usually go in favour of the big teams, but as for the sequence of the games it really doesn't matter.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:08 am

Glad the sites back up. But then I see this bollocks. How the fuck can you rig a whole competition ffs. Like Pale says it dont matter when you play the big teams or when they play each other. Play the cards your dealt. And play them good instead of bitching about the hand the other cunts got.
0 x

garnett

Post by garnett » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:01 am

Rigged ? NO, is there a bias towards certain clubs ? ABSOLUTELY.
0 x

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 am

Not rigged as it’s too unpredictable, favourable for some teams, yes.

If done correctly then VAR will level it out a bit, but it’s a big if.

If the PL was ‘rigged’ then VAR wouldn’t be getting brought in next season.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:34 am

Not rigged in my opinion, Leicester would never have won the thing if it was. Of course the PL hope the biggest teams are up there because of revenue and sponsorship but if it was rigged, Man United would be fighting it out with the Scousers every year instead of the Spuds and Man City being there.

It is just that the media like to focus on the teams with the largest following as it gets more clicks which is why you see so many more stories about Man United and their transfer plans than you see about Man City's.

I don't believe Refs are told to make mistakes, they are human and they make them...some are crap at their job and some are much better. We ruined our own chances of CL football by being thrashed by Swansea at home and losing away to Stoke. All teams get shit decisions.
1 x
Watchout for Spongebob

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 am

I'm trying to be a bit rational about this. And before any smart arse says it, I'll say it myself. I do realise that's a bit unusual.

In my book it's blindingly obvious why the biggest teams get the most favourable decisions---allegedly. They usually have more possession, mount more attacks and therefore, logically, will be given more penalties. It also follows that ever since Noah was a boy home teams have always received more dubious awards than the visitors. Referees and linos are influenced by crowd noise and a home crowd baying for a penalty makes more of a racket than the visiting support. So human nature kicks in.

And I just don't get the fixture argument. It's bloody obvious the TV companies want the biggest games to be played when THEY say. Which is one of the reasons the so called big clubs actually say they are disadvantaged with the fixture movements when they are competing in European competitions. Personally I think that's as big a load of bollocks as saying our season suffers because we often have to play a big team on opening day.

TV fixtures are determined, as others have said, by viewing figures. Sky have, and I guess BT do as well, analysis that shows viewing figures per club. Someone once told me how the bloody algorithm worked but my brain went into meltdown after a couple of sentences. We are on more often than most of the less fashionable teams because apparently when we feature viewing figures are above average. So our fixtures are therefore going to be moved more often than, say Crystal Palace's.

Most of us have been watching football for many years and know there have always been crap refs, crap linos and consequently crap decisions. Now that TV analyses every decision from umpteen different angles those crap decisions, and many that otherwise wouldn't have been noticed, are highlighted on a regular basis. But they've always been there. And so have crap refs. For Mike Dean and Martin Atkinson read Clive Thomas & Mike Riley.

VAR will be interesting next season. I noticed there was some griping about the two decisions that went against England at the weekend, so it didn't take long. Only a matter of time before someone complains and says this referral or that wouldn't have been made if it was {insert "BIG" team name here}.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Caboose

Post by Caboose » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:47 pm

redhammer wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 am

How do you mean if done correctly. How can var not be done correctly everyone can see whether a blokes offside or not. And how do you mean it aint rigged but favourable to some clubs.
0 x

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Caboose wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:47 pm
redhammer wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 am

How do you mean if done correctly. How can var not be done correctly everyone can see whether a blokes offside or not. And how do you mean it aint rigged but favourable to some clubs.
VAR - Llorentes goal in the Champions League as the example, the referee wasn’t shown the angle which showed it hitting his arm.

Favourable - Salah diving, that’s not rigged but Moh was given the benefit of doubt on more than once occasion last season.
0 x

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:52 pm

When's the last time someone had a penalty at Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City etc.
I rest my case.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Social Media