VAR-will it make a difference to OUR football ?

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

VAR-will it make a difference to OUR football ?

Post by Newmarket » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 am

I watch quite a bit of European football and although I can’t find actual stats (there has to be some out there if you know where to look ) it still seems to me that the so called “big clubs” still get the decisions in their favour.

In fact the only obvious outrage I’ve seen in the press recently was when a couple of decisions went against Real Madrid .

Christ you felt WW3 was only minutes away :lol:

Anyway . The bottom line IS that only certain types of incident can be reviewed by VAR and even then , the officials in charge of VAR appear to get to choose WHICH contentious issues get looked at .

I’d appreciate it if anybody can clarify that last point but my question is , will VAR level the playing field or will the general bias continue to appear to favour the Sky 6 ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_assistant_referee
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

ToneLoc

Re: VAR-will it make a difference to OUR football ?

Post by ToneLoc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 am

I think it will level things a little because there will be fewer excuses for decisions like the Liverpool goal against us.
My worry is that we still have the same idiots running the show that the technology has been brought in to help.

If it fails, it won’t be the technology, it will be the people. It will be how they choose to use it and how well they police it. There needs to be a universal set of rules for VAR and not different ones depending on the competition/league. That’s fertile breeding ground for mass confusion and utter disinterest.

Decisions need to be made quickly.
I still think this protocol where the on-field referee has to review the video is a weak-spot and a major potential cause of delay. Once the call has been made to use VAR then the final say should be a VAR referee who then radio’s their decision to the on-field referee.
This notion that the on-field referee has to be “the man” is dated, not compatible with video technology and indicative of many of the problems with outdated officiating.
It also fuels the already over-blown self-importance of these men.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am

Newmarket wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 am
I watch quite a bit of European football and although I can’t find actual stats (there has to be some out there if you know where to look ) it still seems to me that the so called “big clubs” still get the decisions in their favour.

In fact the only obvious outrage I’ve seen in the press recently was when a couple of decisions went against Real Madrid .

Christ you felt WW3 was only minutes away :lol:

Anyway . The bottom line IS that only certain types of incident can be reviewed by VAR and even then , the officials in charge of VAR appear to get to choose WHICH contentious issues get looked at .

I’d appreciate it if anybody can clarify that last point but my question is , will VAR level the playing field or will the general bias continue to appear to favour the Sky 6 ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_assistant_referee

Quite correct about the last point and it happened at the weekend. Heracles were drawing 1-1 with 10 men Feyenoord with about 7 minutes to, corner came in and down went the Feyenoord player, penalty awarded.

Replays showed it was soft as anything and not a pen imo but the referee didn’t even use VAR to check, Heracles players pleaded with him to go away and look but the ref just refused, pen scored and finished 2-1.
0 x

hd1

Post by hd1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:15 am

redhammer wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am
Quite correct about the last point and it happened at the weekend. Heracles were drawing 1-1 with 10 men Feyenoord with about 7 minutes to, corner came in and down went the Feyenoord player, penalty awarded.

Replays showed it was soft as anything and not a pen imo but the referee didn’t even use VAR to check, Heracles players pleaded with him to go away and look but the ref just refused, pen scored and finished 2-1.
My understanding on these situations is that the VAR team would review it automatically and then if they think the ref got it wrong advise him to review. So whilst it may have been soft they must have thought it wasn't an error by the ref?

What we do need is clarity on how these decisions are made, when they are made.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 am

ToneLoc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 am
I think it will level things a little because there will be fewer excuses for decisions like the Liverpool goal against us.
My worry is that we still have the same idiots running the show that the technology has been brought in to help.

If it fails, it won’t be the technology, it will be the people. It will be how they choose to use it and how well they police it. There needs to be a universal set of rules for VAR and not different ones depending on the competition/league. That’s fertile breeding ground for mass confusion and utter disinterest.

Decisions need to be made quickly.
I still think this protocol where the on-field referee has to review the video is a weak-spot and a major potential cause of delay. Once the call has been made to use VAR then the final say should be a VAR referee who then radio’s their decision to the on-field referee.
This notion that the on-field referee has to be “the man” is dated, not compatible with video technology and indicative of many of the problems with outdated officiating.
It also fuels the already over-blown self-importance of these men.
I think it will reduce the number o goals. Most of the offside referrals I've seen, both here and abroad, have resulted in more goals being chalked off for offside because someone's big toe was in an offside position, than goals being given that had been wrongly called for offside. PSG in fact had two chalked off in their game at Lille last weekend. I know the offside law was originally introduced to deter "goal hanging" but if the "any doubt, favour the attacking side" advice (as long as the attacking side is one of the top 6 of course :lol: ) was adhered to it would be a start. Even if the offending big toe was offside.

As for our league I have absolutely no doubt that in order to preserve the sense of injustice and moral outrage amongst fans of clubs outside the top 6 the VAR rules will be amended so that when a top 6 side plays one of the minnows two different versions of software will be used in order to ensure the advantage currently enjoyed by the top teams continues unhindered.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:53 am

The interpretation of handball or ball to hand is different in the European leagues. They adopt the "Silhouette" view whereas we try to inform "intent" or the slight misnomer of arm-in-an-unnatural-position reading.

Basically we like to be awkward...
0 x

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 am

VAR will make football a sterile, penalty fest.
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am

End of the day it's just a Ref in front of a screen,will help slightly,tho not a great deal...
Some you'll get,some you wont...even it self out.
Strikes me it's mainly for Dramatic purpose for the TV audience,gonna be crap if your actually
at the game..not looking forward to it.

Think the Best way is for the Teams themselves to have a couple of appeals maybe,would slow the game right down,cos would be an appeal against every goal....but means we'd have prob beaten the
Scouse....we'd still be in for a 7th maybe,and prob handed the title to City....

Fine lines and all that...
0 x

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:39 am

The only difference it will make to end arguments one way or another is for offside calls or if a ball crossed the line, like Antonio crossing for Arnie against Brighton. The rest is not really much different to now. Just gives a referee more time to make the call that is still his opinion.
0 x
Determined to take us to the next level.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:37 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:53 am
The interpretation of handball or ball to hand is different in the European leagues. They adopt the "Silhouette" view whereas we try to inform "intent" or the slight misnomer of arm-in-an-unnatural-position reading.

Basically we like to be awkward...
I think the way we interpret handball is one of the, admittedly few, things we have right and the European leagues have wrong. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid the ball hitting a hand when it's fired at a player from close range.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Social Media