A good season?

Chat about anything football related here!
jhammers

A good season?

Post by jhammers » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

Its being said, by media/players and manager that we've had a 'good season'...

So my question is... Have we?

Knocked out in FA Cup to Wimbledon.
Just 2 points above Newcastle who have been fighting relegation all season.
1 point above Palace
Arnautovic saga
Injuries

Did we move to this stadium to move to the 'next level' , im pretty sure we would be around this place in the table at Upton Park...

Is it a good season? If so why?
0 x

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: A good season?

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 am

jhammers wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

1 point above Palace
Arnautovic saga
Injuries

Did we move to this stadium to move to the 'next level' , im pretty sure we would be around this place in the table at Upton Park...

No not good but not bad.

The injuries you mention are out of anyone's control. Maybe we could have anticipated that Wilshere would be crocked but he played quite a bit last season.

And the amount of new faces arriving at once meant hitting the ground running would always be optimistic, hence being bottom after 4 games.

But we're behind only Liverpool in winning points from losing positions and the football is a fuck-sight better than it's been for years.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 am

Well if you compare it to the previous 2 then yes it has been a good season in as far as our Bums werent squeeking most of the way through the second period with the fear of relegation. In terms of the squad we have i would say it has been a bit below what has been expected by many.

This is the first season with Pelle in charge, seeing what has come about, expectations for next are a little higher, more consistency is what im looking for, and i mean consistency in our better performances, and not the sporadic appearance of it as has been the case this season.

Rome wasnt built in a day.
1 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:02 am

jhammers wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

1 point above Palace
Arnautovic saga
Injuries

Imo we've had a better season than last simply because at the moment we have 2 more points than we finished with last season. But as you say injuries have continued to be a major problem and we never seem to learn that many of our issues are self inflicted. We can now get rid of one expensive flop (at fucking last) but what do we do ? Saddle ourselves with another one FFS.

And once again the club's handling of contract dealings (Arnautovic) have been laughable in the extreme. But I would guess until Sullivan gets hit by a bus that will continue to be the case.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:27 am

Relaxing season after 2 relegation battles. First season with new players and a new manager has gone as expected with the amount of injuries. Almost did the double over Man u..
Season 2 i am expecting a serious challenge for 7th spot. Everton has looked sheer quality lately. This is where we need to be in 2 years.
4 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Towie

Post by Towie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:38 am

Big improvement in football style, more points, goals, possession etc.

Still big problems with, players mentality, consistency and injuries.

Big pluses for me Rice emergence and Anderson, Diop & Balbuena all first season in premier and reallyhave took to it.

Looking forward to next if the same investment can be made, if not expect mid table mediocrity again.

For me progress has been made this season.
3 x
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Wasn't the best of seasons , but wasn't as bad as the previous ones . New manager , new style , new players Balbuena , Diop Fabianski and Anderson , are I would say doing better then was expected , Yarmolenko looked to be finding his feet in the premiership with the performances at against Everton - Chelsea and Man Utd but then got injured , didn't expect much from Sanchez though he got injured back in September , Fredericks still appears to be learning his trade which at 26 is not a good thing , Wilshere as expected fell by the wayside into his wheelchair , and the Arnautovic fiasco that still continues . It also showed that the majority of players we had prior to this season are not good enough to continue as 1st team starters .
0 x

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Would concur with most, not as stressful as last 2 seasons, relatively safe since new year, disappointed we’ve not been able to push for 7th, some of our own making some inflicted with some woeful officiating.

Plus side beating Utd, le arse ,Everton ,draw against Liverpool & not getting completely gubbed by city and Chelsea.

Some great signings some young talent promoted and a manager (whilst not perfect) seems to be trying to change the mindset of the club...now all depends on the board backing him as to whether we see an improvement next season.

Would say a 6-7 out of 10
0 x

ryanguitarhammer

Post by ryanguitarhammer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:47 pm

It's been an a season with huge highs but real bad lows.
1 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:51 pm

It's been a better season.
To go through the entire new year without thinking about relegation once is not our average PL run in, so in that regard it's been better.
We've seen a cracking run of form and a couple of abysmal runs too. That's too much of a mixed bag to be regarded as good in my opinion.
Happy with Pellegrini who is definitely a class or two above what we're used to.
All in all, and even considering the rumoured transfer funds, I'm looking forward to the summer and next season. COYI MPCABA.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Social Media