And so it starts...

Chat about anything football related here!
Rick_Deckard

And so it starts...

Post by Rick_Deckard » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am

...the manager roundabout is spinning already...Hughton sacked by Brighton... :roll:
0 x

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: And so it starts...

Post by palerider » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

I like Hughton. What the fuck do they expect ?

They were actually more attacking once they knew they were safe, but the brand of anti-football employed by them for the 36 previous games with two 8 foot hulks in defence and no money to spend will always produce the same result.
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon May 13, 2019 10:59 am

palerider wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

They were actually more attacking once they knew they were safe, but the brand of anti-football employed by them for the 36 previous games with two 8 foot hulks in defence and no money to spend will always produce the same result.
I like him as a person but his style of football, like pretty much every British manager in the top flight, is marginally less entertaining than watching dust settle. Apparently Brighton's owner has said they want to move the club onto the next level and Rafa Benitez is being spoken of as a possible successor.

If that happens I can see a lot of lead balloons landing in Tyneside.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:59 am
palerider wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

I like him as a person but his style of football, like pretty much every British manager in the top flight, is marginally less entertaining than watching dust settle. Apparently Brighton's owner has said they want to move the club onto the next level and Rafa Benitez is being spoken of as a possible successor.

I know you're not a fan and neither am I but the only British manager in the PL I'd exclude is Eddie Howe. And I guess Woy, but they do have the serial cheat in their team.

Benitez ???

Brighton spend less than Newcastle and Rafa want money for additions.

They'll appoint some wannabe Frenchman then go knocking on Sam's door by Christmas.

Also, Hughton technically isn't British. He's Irish, born in Forest Gate.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon May 13, 2019 11:13 am

I’ve no problem with any football club aspiring to do better. In fact, it should be done by default.
But such improvements and how clubs go about achieving them need to be carefully planned and within that club’s means.

By firing Hughton, Brighton have made a statement to their fans and to the wider world by saying “we want to finish higher up the table and to play a more appealing brand of football”.
That’s all very well but now the expectation will be that they go out and spend a very large sum of money to bring in a manager and a significant number of better players that can deliver all of this.

As I said, it’s admirable if it’s realistic. Otherwise it’s folly.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

hd1

Post by hd1 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:34 am

They'd have been better off giving him some decent money to spend so he could play the style of football they wanted.

What he has done on their budget is remarkable and you can see him going back to Newcastle if Rafa goes.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:59 am

I know you're not a fan and neither am I but the only British manager in the PL I'd exclude is Eddie Howe. And I guess Woy, but they do have the serial cheat in their team.

Benitez ???

Brighton spend less than Newcastle and Rafa want money for additions.

They'll appoint some wannabe Frenchman then go knocking on Sam's door by Christmas.

Also, Hughton technically isn't British. He's Irish, born in Forest Gate.
I've always thought Woy pweferred the "don't lose" wather than "go for it" appwoach tbh.

And you're right. I'm not a fan of Eddie Howe. ;)

I suppose the Benitez link is because of the uncertainty about his future at Newcastle. It is the silly season after all.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer » Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm

He spent £75m this season and relied on a 35 year old Glenn Murray. He’s done well to keep them up but I can see why they’ve sacked him, could argue they only survived due to the decisions against Cardiff in recent weeks.

I fancied them to go down next season and still might, a massive decision to make here, one that can go wrong like Swansea or one that could look savvy like Watford.
0 x

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham » Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 pm

redhammer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm
He spent £75m this season and relied on a 35 year old Glenn Murray. He’s done well to keep them up but I can see why they’ve sacked him, could argue they only survived due to the decisions against Cardiff in recent weeks.

I fancied them to go down next season and still might, a massive decision to make here, one that can go wrong like Swansea or one that could look savvy like Watford.
Totally agreed....Brighton will be top favourite to go down as I cannot see other teams above Brighton going down with Bournemouth/Southampton poses risks with Norwich and Sheff Utd could go down with Brighton next season. If Aston Villa win play-off, they will stay up, Leeds Utd if they go up will have some risks of relegation threat as they have learned their lesson not to use loan money to buy players and Elland Round only carried around 30,000 ish. If WBA or Derby go up, they will be top favourite to go down.
0 x

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Mon May 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Ibbyham wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 pm
redhammer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Totally agreed....Brighton will be top favourite to go down as I cannot see other teams above Brighton going down with Bournemouth/Southampton poses risks with Norwich and Sheff Utd could go down with Brighton next season. If Aston Villa win play-off, they will stay up, Leeds Utd if they go up will have some risks of relegation threat as they have learned their lesson not to use loan money to buy players and Elland Round only carried around 30,000 ish. If WBA or Derby go up, they will be top favourite to go down.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If Bournemouth, Brighton and Southampton all go down where am I going to spend my usual three days a year at the beach...
0 x

Social Media