purchasing championship players

Chat about anything football related here!
casher007

purchasing championship players

Post by casher007 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 am

On the podcast last night Geo was discussing why championship players are not purchased by Premier League clubs.

The reason is that championship clubs charge too much as well as wages demands are too high. It is safer and cheaper to purchase an unproven player(premier league ) from abroad.
0 x

Whiskyman

Re: purchasing championship players

Post by Whiskyman » Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

And perhaps more to the point we should ask the question how many players have moved up successfully from the Championship to the PL ? Including those players who came up with a promoted side. I don't think there have been too many.

Although I suppose Jordan Hugill could take the PL by storm next season. :lol:
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer » Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

Think someone like Maddison went for a reasonable sum last year and proved to be worth that sum.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Alfiehammer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am
Think someone like Maddison went for a reasonable sum last year and proved to be worth that sum.
He did. So that's one and counting. ;)

I've not seen too much of him and haven't been over impressed but Leicester fans rate him so I guess he has to be a bit decent.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm

I saw swansea a few times last season and one stand out player was Dan James. Skill full player, lightning quick and could finish.
Already being touted as a Man Utd player for the princely sum of 15mil. He's good, and definitely will be a star in the making, but 15 mil for basically an unproven championship player is ludicrous.
He's no Charlie Adam that's for sure!
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pm

No Charlie Adam, fuck him then

Watched Grealish the other night, fucking quality on the ball
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer » Thu May 16, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm not sure, generally I would agree with Geo.

But we have our own Antonio & Cresswell for example, both got England call ups. But then you have Hugill & Byram. Historically we have got Ashton & Harewood. It depends if you want a squad player or really push for 7th even 6th when you need to compete with the Salah's, Kane's & Aubameyang's.

That being said, players like Maquire, Chilwell & Robertson are some of the best in the league.

Jamie Vardy came from Fleetwood Town, came up with Leicester and has been one of the best strikers in the league.

Spuds got Dele Alli from MK Dons

But the exception rather than the rule.

Honestly, if we want to raid the likes of Huddersfield for Mooy, he is probably a solid mid table player and that is the level at which we will stay.
0 x

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm
I saw swansea a few times last season and one stand out player was Dan James. Skill full player, lightning quick and could finish.
Already being touted as a Man Utd player for the princely sum of 15mil. He's good, and definitely will be a star in the making, but 15 mil for basically an unproven championship player is ludicrous.
Dan James is class, Swansea also have a 6'4" centre back called Joe Rodon who captains Wales U21's. He is very good in the air, seems to be two footed, very comfortable on the ball, doesn't jump into the tackle and believe or not is faster than Dan James. Didn't get a game with the first team until this season, because the last few Swansea managers have been spineless and went for older players. Was a regular in the side and playing very well until he did a metatarsal in January. Saw him play as a youngster for their academy side a few times when I was working there and looked the absolute business.
0 x

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 pm

dorsetdano wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm
Dan James is class, Swansea also have a 6'4" centre back called Joe Rodon who captains Wales U21's. He is very good in the air, seems to be two footed, very comfortable on the ball, doesn't jump into the tackle and believe or not is faster than Dan James. Didn't get a game with the first team until this season, because the last few Swansea managers have been spineless and went for older players. Was a regular in the side and playing very well until he did a metatarsal in January. Saw him play as a youngster for their academy side a few times when I was working there and looked the absolute business.
You're right Dano I Forgot about him.
The thing with teams like swansea is they try to play the game as it should be played and that I think is down to Alan Curtis who unfortunately for them has retired now.
0 x

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Webster of Bristol city also is one to keep an eye. A ball playing centre half, very comfortable on the ball and does the simple things very well.
0 x

Social Media