Arnie leaves for 22.4 Million

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: Arnie leaves for 22.4 Million

Post by h69 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:17 pm
Well, I don't think he's much different from 80% of players in the modern game.
Football, at a certain point, is no longer a vocation or passion, it's an easy way to make vast sums of money.
To be fair, some players like a trophy and a bit of glory, others like a certain league or country, but for most it's the money. Phrases like 'he wants Champions League', or 'European football' are, for the most part, a way of saying a player requires a financial premium for not getting those things.
The problem with Arnautovic isn't so much his desire for more money, it's the utter contempt that went along with it. Players like Tevez understand a concept like respect, so when he pissed off after one season he did it the right way -- maximum effort on the pitch, trap shut, show the fans some respect on the way out AND when you come back.
Irrespective of anything it shows a bit of nous, a bit of character and a bit of soul. Arnautovic has none of that.
goodpost:)

I dont have so much vitriol to be fair. He wanted to go for more money, we would not let him then he wanted to go again. Most on here would do the same if offered a lot more somewhere else.

He got injured early in the year which also did not help but it was clear he was still playing for us when he set up Antonio at Spurs.

If I blame him for anything it is having his brother as his agent who stirs up all kinds of shit and also signing the extension (though maybe I would do that as well).

Payet went on strike, Griezman has gone on strike apparently, Koscielny (sp ?) is refusing to go on a preseason tour. There is a lot of that happening at the moment. It is a different world nowadays. Not great to see all that but at least Arnautovic did not strike.

Trouble is that fans still dont see players as just employees at a company and expect loyalty for some reason. Ours are as bad as most in that they always seem to be outraged. Look at all the outrage on here that we missed out on Gomez :lol:
Outrage that we try and get players 'out of our league', outrage that we are not ambitious enough, outrage if a player does not want to play for us.

Man United have missed out on a couple already (ours for one) and I am sure they have fans the same. Arsenal fans are always outraged.

It all adds to the drama of the league though but it was always like this (other than the strikes) you just did not hear about it because there was no social media in the past.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 am

h69 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 pm
Neville Bartos wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:17 pm
Well, I don't think he's much different from 80% of players in the modern game.
Football, at a certain point, is no longer a vocation or passion, it's an easy way to make vast sums of money.
To be fair, some players like a trophy and a bit of glory, others like a certain league or country, but for most it's the money. Phrases like 'he wants Champions League', or 'European football' are, for the most part, a way of saying a player requires a financial premium for not getting those things.
The problem with Arnautovic isn't so much his desire for more money, it's the utter contempt that went along with it. Players like Tevez understand a concept like respect, so when he pissed off after one season he did it the right way -- maximum effort on the pitch, trap shut, show the fans some respect on the way out AND when you come back.
Irrespective of anything it shows a bit of nous, a bit of character and a bit of soul. Arnautovic has none of that.
goodpost:)

I dont have so much vitriol to be fair. He wanted to go for more money, we would not let him then he wanted to go again. Most on here would do the same if offered a lot more somewhere else.

He got injured early in the year which also did not help but it was clear he was still playing for us when he set up Antonio at Spurs.

If I blame him for anything it is having his brother as his agent who stirs up all kinds of shit and also signing the extension (though maybe I would do that as well).

Payet went on strike, Griezman has gone on strike apparently, Koscielny (sp ?) is refusing to go on a preseason tour. There is a lot of that happening at the moment. It is a different world nowadays. Not great to see all that but at least Arnautovic did not strike.

Trouble is that fans still dont see players as just employees at a company and expect loyalty for some reason. Ours are as bad as most in that they always seem to be outraged. Look at all the outrage on here that we missed out on Gomez :lol:
Outrage that we try and get players 'out of our league', outrage that we are not ambitious enough, outrage if a player does not want to play for us.

Man United have missed out on a couple already (ours for one) and I am sure they have fans the same. Arsenal fans are always outraged.

It all adds to the drama of the league though but it was always like this (other than the strikes) you just did not hear about it because there was no social media in the past.
And it never used to happen in an artificially created period of time. Transfer deals were struck between the selling & buying clubs and everyone moved on.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Shame we couldn't get more for him, seems like we should have gotten rid in January - Yeah he's a great player and we got the best of him from his career in the season we survived and start of last season and moved him on, let's try to get someone can replace him and give us 2 or 3 years of their best football.

That is...the modern game.
0 x

boxman

Post by boxman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:58 pm

heard we got 30m pounds for him... transfermarkt seems to agree with this threads subject at 25m euro... guess we'll never know
0 x

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 pm

He saved us last season. I will be forever grateful for that.

I genuinely loved the bloke, did not feel that way about a player since Di Canio.

What a terrible way to end that relationship, as he was voted HOTY, I guess many others must have felt similar.

There is no excuse to act as he and his brother have, he had to go. I'm glad we got something for him, lets invest it properly now.

if we can get someone like Haller he will be forgotten already by the time game 1 comes around next season.
0 x

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49343208

Scored a great goal, 4 in 6 games, I know it is not the PL but yes we will miss him, but life goes on.
0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:53 am

dagenhamdave wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49343208

Scored a great goal, 4 in 6 games, I know it is not the PL but yes we will miss him, but life goes on.
It was noticeable that the crowd didn't exactly go berserk in acknowledgement. You can pretend that what you did was outstanding but with out the feedback from those that attribute value - who gives a fuck.

Wanking for coins - bit of a nasty realisation
0 x

Castiron

Post by Castiron » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Wow...he didn't kiss the badge :shock:
0 x

Social Media