Pre-season: Asia Trophy

Chat about anything football related here!
boxman

Re: Pre-season: Asia Trophy

Post by boxman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:00 am

surprised cullen didn't get a run out... hopefully we aren't wasting minutes on obiang to try an boost his price... prefer we give cullen a chance against premiership opposition so he can stake a claim for a squad number
1 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

City,IMO are the best team in the world.They play a different game to the rest and that includes Liverpool & Barcelona.

I would fancy our chances more against ANY team of the past that were Champions of England than them.That is how good they are.They don't beat Teams,they destroy them.

If we get ANY sort of result against them on the first day means we are going to do well this season.They are the yardstick for world football.
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am
City,IMO are the best team in the world.They play a different game to the rest and that includes Liverpool & Barcelona.

I would fancy our chances more against ANY team of the past that were Champions of England than them.That is how good they are.They don't beat Teams,they destroy them.

If we get ANY sort of result against them on the first day means we are going to do well this season.They are the yardstick for world football.
They are the nearest team I've seen to the really great (Iniesta, Xavi) Barcelona side of the Guardiola era.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Flairon

Post by Flairon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 am

I only got to see the highlights so can only comment on what I saw rather than the game as a whole.

It seems to have been your standard pre season fair with both sides making multiple substitions. No comment neefs to be made about Citeh, we all know just how good they are.

That being said, I though we showed flashes of brilliany inter play and great enough chances to make the game much closer. I do not think it is srretching the truth to sugest that at 1-0 we should have had a second penalty for the foul on Fredericks.

Chico should have hit the target with the effort he ballooned over the bar (what a beautiful passage of play by the way) and Yarmolenka was unfortunate to hit the pist from clise range.

All in all, I would say that there were far more positives than negatives not withstanding the final score.
2 x
Flairon

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

terrya1965 wrote:

In my opinion they are the best club side I have ever seen. A real ruthless machine.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm

It was a weird series of substitutions,no creative players left on for the majority of the second half, and returning crocks on.......think they could have balanced that out better,it was as if the result was irrelevant.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Mikeveep wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm
It was a weird series of substitutions,no creative players left on for the majority of the second half, and returning crocks on.......think they could have balanced that out better,it was as if the result was irrelevant.
Surely you're not suggesting the result of a pre season friendly is irrelevant. :lol:
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:12 pm

terrya1965 wrote:

I think they've got to win the Champions League before they can truly lay claim to that title. For me it was a crying shame that we didn't get to see a Manchester City v Barcelona CL final which really should have happened if Barcelona hadn't considered the job done in the first leg and City hadn't played that odd defensive game at WHL. I'm sure if it had happened we'd have had a CL final worth watching instead of the dross that we had to sit through.

Still there's always next season and I don't think it will be long before City add the CL to their PL titles.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:12 pm
terrya1965 wrote:

I think they've got to win the Champions League before they can truly lay claim to that title. For me it was a crying shame that we didn't get to see a Manchester City v Barcelona CL final which really should have happened if Barcelona hadn't considered the job done in the first leg and City hadn't played that odd defensive game at WHL. I'm sure if it had happened we'd have had a CL final worth watching instead of the dross that we had to sit through.

Still there's always next season and I don't think it will be long before City add the CL to their PL titles.
Liverpool were the better team even in the first game.Exceptional finishing by Barcelona won them that game and they knew they were lucky.

They are still a very good team,but nowhere near the team they were under Pep.

I do agree City NEED to win the CL a few times to be known has a great Team.
0 x

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 pm

I would say that assist from Yarmolenko we had the B team on the pitch second half
Didn't help that city brought on their A team

Fredericks was spot on, hope to see more of him playing that role this season
0 x

Social Media