World class players...?

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
BCHammer
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:23 pm
Location: Vancouver BC
x 2
x 105

Re: World class players...?

Post by BCHammer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:52 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 pm
World class is a tough one because I think consistency plays a part in that.

However when they are on their best form I do think that Anderson, Lanzini and Wilshere can play like top class players.

As sated above our goalkeeper appears comparable with the best based on last seasons evidence and I believe Balbuena and Diop have some good qualities.

There's no point speculating on Foranals or Haller who have yet to play a game but if our good players can start to find form at the same time we'll be a real attacking force.
The board can't forecast that, so from their point view have they stepped up to the plate and belatedly provided what they promised?
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 8524
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 157
x 820

Re: World class players...?

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:25 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 pm
World class is a tough one because I think consistency plays a part in that.

However when they are on their best form I do think that Anderson, Lanzini and Wilshere can play like top class players.

As sated above our goalkeeper appears comparable with the best based on last seasons evidence and I believe Balbuena and Diop have some good qualities.

There's no point speculating on Foranals or Haller who have yet to play a game but if our good players can start to find form at the same time we'll be a real attacking force.
I think you've summed it up in your first sentence mate. Consistency. Genuine world class players do it week in week out.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
garnett
Posts: 982
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Bow
x 19
x 59

Re: World class players...?

Post by garnett » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 am

Easy this one,

We have......erm…...none.
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 8524
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 157
x 820

Re: World class players...?

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:33 am

garnett wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 am
Easy this one,

We have......erm…...none.
Bobby Moore was on his way out of our club when I started going so I think, hand on heart, I can honestly say I have never seen a world class player turn out for us. For me there are only 3 who come close. Sir Trev, Payet and diCanio.

But as Gonzo says consistency is the key and if diC and Payet had been consistent in their careers we would never have seen them at our place.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 322
x 216

Re: World class players...?

Post by h69 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 am

punkrockhammer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:16 pm
h69 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:19 pm
A couple of years ago we had Matt Taylor, Gary O'Neill, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan and Modibo Maiga, Vaz Te and Matt Jarvis.

Now we have Declan Rice, Issa Diop, Balbuena, Haller, Fornals, Anderson, Yarmolenko, Antonio and Wilshere.

It is definitely next level stuff. We have gone from honest pros to quality. If Wilshere can stay fit (a big If I know) then we have a formidable side as he would gel it all together IMO.

It does seem to take 3 years of transfers to transform a side. You cannot do it in one as Jan is a waste of time. So many clubs would benefit from trying to keep a manager longer than a year or two.

Wolves are an anomaly given them being in bed with the agent in Portugal but I dont understand NES complaining that they lack players this season when they decided to sell Cavaleiro and Helder Costa. A big chunk of change has gone in converting loans to permanents.
Not strictly true, most of those are a bit longer than a couple of years ago

A couple of years ago we had Payet :lol:
Ok....I should have said a few years ago but you can see the change and even in the Payet season, the quality around the whole squad was nowhere near what it is now.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
Flairon
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:45 am
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL, U.S.A.
x 84
x 81
Contact:

Re: World class players...?

Post by Flairon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 am
punkrockhammer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:16 pm


Not strictly true, most of those are a bit longer than a couple of years ago

A couple of years ago we had Payet :lol:
Ok....I should have said a few years ago but you can see the change and even in the Payet season, the quality around the whole squad was nowhere near what it is now.

What about Fabianski???

Great post by the way.
0 x
Flairon

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 322
x 216

Re: World class players...?

Post by h69 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Flairon wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm
h69 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 am


Ok....I should have said a few years ago but you can see the change and even in the Payet season, the quality around the whole squad was nowhere near what it is now.

What about Fabianski???

Great post by the way.
I shoudl have put him in as well yes. apologies.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
BlackDiamond
Posts: 4302
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 pm
x 553
x 365

Re: World class players...?

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 am
Ok....I should have said a few years ago but you can see the change and even in the Payet season, the quality around the whole squad was nowhere near what it is now.
The "Payet season" showed a high tide raises all ships.The current squad is not reliant on one brilliant individual and tends toward a collection of very good individuals who might blend together and achieve football synergy. That from a coach perspective is the footballing holy grail.

From a fans perspective all we ask is the strength to dream and this season I think we do
0 x

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 322
x 216

Re: World class players...?

Post by h69 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 pm
h69 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 am
Ok....I should have said a few years ago but you can see the change and even in the Payet season, the quality around the whole squad was nowhere near what it is now.
The "Payet season" showed a high tide raises all ships.The current squad is not reliant on one brilliant individual and tends toward a collection of very good individuals who might blend together and achieve football synergy. That from a coach perspective is the footballing holy grail.

From a fans perspective all we ask is the strength to dream and this season I think we do
Very eloquently put sir.

The sum being greater than the parts hopefully.
2 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 322
x 216

Re: World class players...?

Post by h69 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:18 pm

punkrockhammer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 pm
BCHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:32 pm
So our baroness promised us a world class stadium and world class players - are we finally getting the latter?

Bearing in mind we have no European football, have not won a trophy in 40 years and are a mid table club with a song about losing, with the signing of the Haller, Fornals, Anderson, Yarmo, Diop & Wilshere are we getting the best we could possibly expect? IMO all those blokes are a couple of levels above the Shelvey's and Mooy's of the world we were generally linked to before. Next level is real champions league players, in fact most of those could or have played in it.

Our GK is statistically the best in the league, I would rank him 4th and he is certainly not worth 100% less than Chelsea's keeper.

I would take our whole defense over Arsenal's any day, even Man Utd's minus Shaw. In fact, minus Aubameyang & Lacazette and Pogba & De Gea, are we even better on paper those both of those two now? I would take Haller over Rashford & Lukaku any day too.

On paper, how do we think we now compare with Leicester, Wolves, Everton & Watford, the window not being over of course? I think we look pretty decent.

What we really need is consistency and showing up to the bottom half teams every week. What is needed to address that?
I know what you’re saying about Arsenal’s defence but I’d take Bellerin over Zabaletta and Fredericks all day long
So would I but I would take our Center Backs over theirs any day !
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

Post Reply

Social Media