No More Cash

Chat about anything football related here!
IronsForever

No More Cash

Post by IronsForever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am

Supporters expecting more big-money signings this summer will be in for a disappointment as the cash cupboard is now bare.

The Hammers have paid back their £23m short term loan to media rights and funding this month and as most transfers are spread over three years second instalments are due for Felipe Anderson, Issa Diop, Fabianski and Yarmolenko which could cost around £27m. Third-year instalments were also most likely due on Marko Arnautovic, Javier Hernandez, and Jordan Hugill costing the Hammers another £15m in cash.

Outbound wise Marko Arnautovic was all upfront at £22.5m but there is no guarantee that Fernandes, Perez and Byram were all upfront and we are likely to have received a third of each of those transfers netting us around £3.2m in cash terms.

The £24m purchase of Pablo Fornals is likley to have cost around £8m for the first instalment while Sebestain Haller at £40.5m was significantly more upfront with the rest paid over the next 18 months.

What is all means is that West Ham’s cash reserves are now pretty much non existence and David Sullivan was required to personally loan West Ham cash to complete the Haller transfer this week before a new short term loan with Media Rights and Funding has been arranged.

Sale of fringe players like Pedro Obiang, Reece Oxford, Jordan Hugill and Marcus Browne will help the cash position but not enough to splash the cash again in any big way this summer.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskyman

Re: No More Cash

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:14 am

IronsForever wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am

What is all means is that West Ham’s cash reserves are now pretty much non existence and David Sullivan was required to personally loan West Ham cash to complete the Haller transfer this week before a new short term loan with Media Rights and Funding has been arranged.
That sounds like a C & H piece mate, particularly that bit. There is no rule in business, including football, preventing clubs from raising capital through normal channels, not just owner loans. Even the UEFA FFP regs are aimed at controlling borrowing over several years rather than one offs.

A lot of bloggers like C & H have always been obsessed with the club's debt. Debt is only a problem if the company isn't generating enough cash to service it. And in today's operating climate it costs financially sound businesses next to sweet FA to borrow money, particularly short term.

If West Ham wanted to put another Haller sized bid in for a player I am sure there are numerous financial organisations more reputable and probably much more competitive than Stumpy & Dribbly who would be more than happy to stump up the necessary readies to facilitate such a bid.

But I suspect there is no great clamour from the club to spend more than we have already. And essentially that is why I suspect that piece originates from the club, so transparent is the attempt to, once again, cast the club in the financial basket case category.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am

Well if that is the case , which prior to the Haller signing the rumoured £30m budget was almost spent on Fornals , we were not looking in a good state of affairs with the striker situation the way it was . So the board have out done themselves acquiring Haller as well in the window . I still think it will be another season of Pellegrini building on what he has begone , but still think we will be struggling to keep the opposition from scoring . As I keep harping on about we desperately need a partner for Rice so another DM , a striker of reasonable calibre , and at least a LB , if we are to progress .
0 x

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:19 am

Its fine imo, i think we have a stronger squad than last season, we have less options upfront but haller/chica/antonio should see ut though the season as i expect us to only play one striker most of the matches. haller should be a massive upgrade to arnautovic. There is also Silva but i dont know what is going on with his health?

our attacking options in midfield is much stronger with the addition of fornals and recoveries of lanzini and yarmolenko along with anderson, antonio, snodgrass, wilshere and diangana. We also have holland and mesaque dju waiting in the youth team.

if we lose obiang we are a little short in defensive midfield but its roughly the same with rice and noble and while sanchez is likely a downgrade to obiang, cullen could be ready to step into that slot. we also might play only one DCM with all of the attacking option avaliable where a few of them could be deployed in central midfield.

defence is unchanhed with only reid returning which provides more cover at CB. johnson willl lilely also provide cover at both FB positions.

GK-wise roberto might be a downgrade to adrian, time will tell.

IF we qualify for europe however we need to make sure we have a big enough squad to cope. there could be more additions this summer as cover but id expect them to be either loans or freebies
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 am

Clayton wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am
Well if that is the case , which prior to the Haller signing the rumoured £30m budget was almost spent on Fornals , we were not looking in a good state of affairs with the striker situation the way it was . So the board have out done themselves acquiring Haller as well in the window . I still think it will be another season of Pellegrini building on what he has begone , but still think we will be struggling to keep the opposition from scoring . As I keep harping on about we desperately need a partner for Rice so another DM , a striker of reasonable calibre , and at least a LB , if we are to progress .
I would expect a loan or free for what is effectively a 2/3rd choice striker. I would rather we waited until next summer on the DM and spent a shit load of money on him (40 odd million for instance) as quality DM players are rare to find.

That said, now we have Fornals, I would flog Lanzini and get the DM this window myself
1 x
Watchout for Spongebob

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 am

Good to see things haven't completely changed.
What's not mentioned is that we've cut millions off the wage bill.
Arnautovic's wedge probably covers Fornals and Haller. And the same is true for Adrian and the two new keepers. That means pretty much every other outgoing player is all money saved. That's 90k for AC, 70 odd for Perez, 70 again for Nasri, and Byram and Fernandes were probably on 50 between them.
That's a saving of £14.5m over a single season.

If and when Obiang leaves there should be £20m to get that box to box player we need. Left back is a concern too, but I just feel we need that energy and dynamism in the middle of the park that bit more.
Mind you we still haven't seen a Husillos punt this window yet, and we could do with some quality on the cheap.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 am

h69 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 am
Clayton wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 am
I would expect a loan or free for what is effectively a 2/3rd choice striker. I would rather we waited until next summer on the DM and spent a shit load of money on him (40 odd million for instance) as quality DM players are rare to find.

That said, now we have Fornals, I would flog Lanzini and get the DM this window myself
I agree if the club feel Fornals is an upgrade on Lanzini , and I can see a “name” player being outed in the next week or two to fund more incomings.
Lanzini being the prime candidate what with his contract situation and inconsistency when he IS fit.
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am

Newmarket wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 am
h69 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 am

I agree if the club feel Fornals is an upgrade on Lanzini , and I can see a “name” player being outed in the next week or two to fund more incomings.
Lanzini being the prime candidate what with his contract situation and inconsistency when he IS fit.
Now that would be good business and then we could go get Cuellar :roll: . And get Sanchez of the books at the same time as Obiang ( who I always felt was going to be a decent player for us , my error ) .
0 x

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:47 am

Suprised so many want to sell Lanzini, id hate to see him leave personally
1 x

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am

thomasswe wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:47 am
Suprised so many want to sell Lanzini, id hate to see him leave personally
I would be up for it , if it meant we could go get the DM Pellegrini really wanted . Another decent DM would improve the team and our defence , and add steel and dynamism to our midfield .
0 x

Social Media