The official VAR thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: The end of Football as we know it.

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 am

Castiron wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:54 am
Didn’t watch the Newcastle Arsenal game yesterday but before the Manchester United Chelsea match Andy Gray (remember him) was complaining about a goal cancelled by var which he said would have still been allowed if there was a pitch side monitor as in most other countries.

We do seem to have a belief that somehow we do things better than the rest of the world but judging from the cock up at the start of the Liverpool Norwich second-half when the system fouled up and the apparent problems at Newcastle maybe the PL should accept that maybe everyone else has got it right and we should just use the same system.
All done for effect mate. Gives Souness and the other spitting scouser something more to talk about at half time :roll:
You may have something there mate. ;)
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 am

So VAR is the headline. Again.

Haller brought down, n penalty.
Tielemans straight red. No action taken.
Grealish booked for diving prior to last second equaliser. He didn't.

All monumental cock-ups by incompetent referees but the cowardly VAR officials in Stockley Park don't want to upset their mates. VAR exists to overturn howlers. They were.

Shameful.
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:49 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 am

All monumental cock-ups by incompetent referees but the cowardly VAR officials in Stockley Park don't want to upset their mates. VAR exists to overturn howlers. They were.

Shameful.
I think you're missing the main point. The "cowardly officials" you are referring to are themselves members of the refereeing fraternity. Would they overturn a decision by one of their colleagues ? You know the answer. The definition apparently is "a clear and obvious" mistake. So they would in fact be suggesting a colleague has just cocked up big time.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread other countries do it better. The bloke on the monitor says in the ref's ear " I think you might like to reconsider that decision". The ref then trots over to his pitchside monitor and HE overturns his own decision if he feels it needs overturning. I watch the highlights of the Bundesliga and La Liga and they are very often overturned.

But in typical Mike Riley fashion we feel our way of doing it is better. As you suggest it fucking well isn't.

And before any smartass comes up with any comment the word's in the ref's ear I've spoken about would beeither Ich denke, Sie möchten diese Entscheidung vielleicht noch einmal überdenken or Creo que te gustaría reconsiderar esa decisión and not the English version I used. ;)
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:57 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:49 am
palerider wrote:

Shameful.
I think you're missing the main point. The "cowardly officials" you are referring to are themselves members of the refereeing fraternity. Would they overturn a decision by one of their colleagues ? You know the answer. The definition apparently is "a clear and obvious" mistake. So they would in fact be suggesting a colleague has just cocked up big time.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread other countries do it better. The bloke on the monitor says in the ref's ear " I think you might like to reconsider that decision". The ref then trots over to his pitchside monitor and HE overturns his own decision if he feels it needs overturning. I watch the highlights of the Bundesliga and La Liga and they are very often overturned.

But in typical Mike Riley fashion we feel our way of doing it is better. As you suggest it fucking well isn't.

And before any smartass comes up with any comment the word's in the ref's ear I've spoken about would beeither Ich denke, Sie möchten diese Entscheidung vielleicht noch einmal überdenken or Creo que te gustaría reconsiderar esa decisión and not the English version I used. ;)
I realise the cowardly official is also a ref. Yesterday it was Andre Marriner. Not the worst one in the PL actually but imagine the embarrassment at the ref's Christmas party when Mike Dean says 'You made me look a cunt there'.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:58 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:57 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:49 am

I realise the cowardly official is also a ref. Yesterday it was Andre Marriner. Not the worst one in the PL actually but imagine the embarrassment at the ref's Christmas party when Mike Dean says 'You made me look a cunt there'.
Look, I agree with you that Mike Dean is a cunt, in fact a massive large cunt imo, but even I can't blame him for yesterday's non penalty shout as he was some miles away refereeing Southampton's match. ;)

But on a serious note you're right. It's a bit like complaints about the police being investigated by the police.
1 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:26 am

Has Palerider says,VAR is there to correct wrong decisions.All 3 you mentioned were obvious mistakes,not like the one`s the other week,where a finger nail and a nose was offside.

If you are not going to do VAR properly,than don't don't bother at all IMO.
2 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:15 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:26 am
Has Palerider says,VAR is there to correct wrong decisions.All 3 you mentioned were obvious mistakes,not like the one`s the other week,where a finger nail and a nose was offside.

If you are not going to do VAR properly,than don't don't bother at all IMO.
Well said that man.

When the means to correct the human errors in the game is being discussed twice as much as the games themselves, you know something's fucked-up.
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:34 pm

palerider wrote:

Shameful.
I guess it was all very predictable using shit referees to referee shit referees:
https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/the- ... -saturday/
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:08 pm

The Graelish decision was an amazing bit of incompetence. Forget that it clearly wasn't a dive, and ask why the ref just didn't let play carry on and check with VAR afterwards?
VARs not just a tool to correct howlers it should let referees and linesmen give dives, offsides and marginal, but important decisions, the benefit of any doubt, BECAUSE it can now be corrected in retrospect.
I agree with Terry on this, either go all in on VAR or fuck it off, because this is just ridiculous.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:08 pm
The Graelish decision was an amazing bit of incompetence. Forget that it clearly wasn't a dive, and ask why the ref just didn't let play carry on and check with VAR afterwards?
VARs not just a tool to correct howlers it should let referees and linesmen give dives, offsides and marginal, but important decisions, the benefit of any doubt, BECAUSE it can now be corrected in retrospect.
I agree with Terry on this, either go all in on VAR or fuck it off, because this is just ridiculous.
Kevin Friend shouldn't be allowed near a kids game on Hackney marshes.

Not in the least surprised.
1 x

Social Media