The official VAR thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: The end of Football as we know it.

Post by JayK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:02 pm

garnett wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 am
Morning,
As much as I despised Blatter he resisted bring in VAR saying it was taking the human error element out of the game, I agree with that despite thinking the officials need help, but yesterday goals was awarded and cancelled out because an arm was offside, how in gods name is that gaining an advantage, common sense isn't allowed in fifa.
I`m gradually falling out of love of the game.
But yet Var is run and looked at by humans so human error still there like the dinky dink goal by sterling showed
0 x
COYI!!!

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:07 pm

VAR alone isn’t the problem.... it’s the overkill of rules and poor interpretations of those in charge.
An old school mindset and rules originally designed without VAR trying to be compatible with VAR. It’ll take at least 2-3 seasons for them to find a balance..... IF they find one.

I’m all for VAR but it does feel rushed in. They should’ve ran it in the lower divisions for 2-3 seasons and ironed out a lot of the rules and interpretations.
1 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Dwayne Pipes wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Wonder what else they will fuck about with next season.
A mandatory happy pill at half time for miserable cunts.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm wondering if VAR will be disallowing goals on penalty shoot outs for a GK coming off his line?Would be interesting in a World Cup Final or a Champions League Final.
0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm

VAR is too slow and should not have been implemented. It stands for Video assisted ref and that is it's problem. It's an assistant. Either use the technology to do what it's good at or leave it to humans.

Consider goal line technology. It's instant accurate and not disputable.

Introduce the rules of VAR - if you must - but implement it using AI. Response time will be instant and accuracy will be 99.99%.

If the world is entrusting it's future to AI - which it is - then you can use it for football.

It's worth unwrapping the code. The cameras (televising) translate images into code that is then translated back into pictures (that we watch) and we then - using our brains - interpret what is going on.

AI - in this case - translates televised image into code,calculates and then produces result. The speed in real time would be 1,000 times faster. So it's instant. The ball crosses the goal line and any infringement in the process is flagged immediately.

All we do,as humans is lay out the rules.The code does all the work that we generally feel is a pain in the arse...

...or we stay with what he have,fucking about,wasting time,debating and end up moaning about it afterwards
1 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm
VAR is too slow and should not have been implemented. It stands for Video assisted ref and that is it's problem. It's an assistant. Either use the technology to do what it's good at or leave it to humans.

Introduce the rules of VAR - if you must - but implement it using AI. Response time will be instant and accuracy will be 99.99%.

If the world is entrusting it's future to AI - which it is - then you can use it for football.

It's worth unwrapping the code. The cameras (televising) translate images into code that is then translated back into pictures (that we watch) and we then - using our brains - interpret what is going on.

AI - in this case - translates televised image into code,calculates and then produces result. The speed in real time would be 1,000 times faster. So it's instant. The ball crosses the goal line and any infringement in the process is flagged immediately.

All we do,as humans is lay out the rules.The code does all the work that we generally feel is a pain in the arse...

...or we stay with what he have,fucking about,wasting time,debating and end up moaning about it afterwards
I don’t think VAR is too slow.
I think the processes wrapped around VAR are too slow.
But everyone is judging the “here and now”.
I myself was under no illusions that it was going to be like the flipping of a light switch from day 1.
0 x

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm

i have had reports confirmed that next season VAR will be used to hand out warnings to any player that flobs on the grass.
The game will be stopped and he will receive a spitting violation.The fine will be posted and he will have points against his name. Once he reaches a certain amount of flobbing points he will serve a 2 match ban!!
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:35 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm
i have had reports confirmed that next season VAR will be used to hand out warnings to any player that flobs on the grass.
The game will be stopped and he will receive a spitting violation.The fine will be posted and he will have points against his name. Once he reaches a certain amount of flobbing points he will serve a 2 match ban!!
Were "these" reports published Apr 01 in the am 8-)
2 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm
BlackDiamond wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm

I myself was under no illusions that it was going to be like the flipping of a light switch from day 1.
I agree,it's the process as you describe.What I mean't was, using the software to model in 360 degree and therefore becoming an undisputed regulatory authority.

So I'm suggesting removing the human interpretation factors and replacing them with software that is measuring every image pixel from it's start and end positions and then calculating the result dependant on the set of conditions that are pre programmed.

Tweak the rules,tweak the program. And unlike autonomous vehicles...no one can get run over
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 pm
ToneLoc wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm

I agree,it's the process as you describe.What I mean't was, using the software to model in 360 degree and therefore becoming an undisputed regulatory authority.

So I'm suggesting removing the human interpretation factors and replacing them with software that is measuring every image pixel from it's start and end positions and then calculating the result dependant on the set of conditions that are pre programmed.

Tweak the rules,tweak the program. And unlike autonomous vehicles...no one can get run over
Totally agree mate, the more automation and the more they can take human decisions out of the process the better.
But, for certain decisions... unless they perfect AI then it will continue to require human interpretation.
If that’s the case then they should look to replace these old dinosaurs they currently have and train a new breed of officials specifically for the new technology.
0 x

Social Media