The last minute winner

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

The last minute winner

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:35 am

We've been involved in three overturned VAR decisions in the first two matches. I suspect the first two were irrelevant as it was against City. And yesterday in the first half watching Sky Sports news, the dulcet tones of Chris Kamara informed me that 'unbelievable Jeff. Brighton have scored'.

Then, a minute later, in the kitchen and feeding the cats, I was told that they hadn't.

Get in.

Or not.

Later I watched City against the bacon-dodging vermin. And irrespective of the fact that they'd had more shots against the filth than they'd had against us it was 2-2 in injury time. Then up steps Jesus for the miracle.

He'd walked on water, but wait. Were his feet sinking ? Michael Oliver confirmed they were and pointing at his ear-piece embarrassingly ruled it out for the ridiculous rule that if the ball has hit an arm, even if completely accidentally, computer says no.

Now it shouldn't matter in which minute this happens. But it fucking-well does in my book. I was lucky enough to choose my one game of the season at the ILS this March against Huddersfield. It only took me half an hour from Somerset because of the transport links and although for 75 minutes we'd have struggled to give Yeovil a game, the last 15, from 3-1 down, we amazingly did what West Ham do on occasions. My son was there for his ILS debut. He supports City as you know but for those last few minutes he was singing bubbles with such gusto he could have been raised on jellied eels.

Then....the pea strikes. Glances in the winner. Euphoria. The Jesus moment.

I always look at the lino when we score. If he's running back it counts. End of. But of course now you have to wait. And in the last minute it makes it worse. In that game it would have counted as would all 4 West Ham goals.

I think.

But football is a game of emotions. For many their entire week revolves around it. The last minute winner is a thing of joy. The thing that makes you savour the post match beer that much more. Sadly you now have to put on hold that magical moment you hug a complete stranger until computer says yes. The sterile operating room environment of VAR has now stripped that joy away. I thought until yesterday I was in favour but now I'm not. Even if Brighton were one up at half time yesterday as they deserved to be in any case.

Take away the emotion and you take away the game.
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

terrya1965

Re: The last minute winner

Post by terrya1965 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am

My morning Headline would be for City v Spurs:

VARJA VU (Déjà vu) ;)

After the same happen to City in April.
0 x

garnett

Post by garnett » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:43 am

It's now personal :x
That decision cost me £290 :evil:
Killing the game with its stupidity
0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:35 am
We've been involved in three overturned VAR decisions in the first two matches. I suspect the first two were irrelevant as it was against City. And yesterday in the first half watching Sky Sports news, the dulcet tones of Chris Kamara informed me that 'unbelievable Jeff. Brighton have scored'.

Then, a minute later, in the kitchen and feeding the cats, I was told that they hadn't.

Get in.

Or not.

Later I watched City against the bacon-dodging vermin. And irrespective of the fact that they'd had more shots against the filth than they'd had against us it was 2-2 in injury time. Then up steps Jesus for the miracle.

He'd walked on water, but wait. Were his feet sinking ? Michael Oliver confirmed they were and pointing at his ear-piece embarrassingly ruled it out for the ridiculous rule that if the ball has hit an arm, even if completely accidentally, computer says no.

Now it shouldn't matter in which minute this happens. But it fucking-well does in my book. I was lucky enough to choose my one game of the season at the ILS this March against Huddersfield. It only took me half an hour from Somerset because of the transport links and although for 75 minutes we'd have struggled to give Yeovil a game, the last 15, from 3-1 down, we amazingly did what West Ham do on occasions. My son was there for his ILS debut. He supports City as you know but for those last few minutes he was singing bubbles with such gusto he could have been raised on jellied eels.

Then....the pea strikes. Glances in the winner. Euphoria. The Jesus moment.

I always look at the lino when we score. If he's running back it counts. End of. But of course now you have to wait. And in the last minute it makes it worse. In that game it would have counted as would all 4 West Ham goals.

I think.

But football is a game of emotions. For many their entire week revolves around it. The last minute winner is a thing of joy. The thing that makes you savour the post match beer that much more. Sadly you now have to put on hold that magical moment you hug a complete stranger until computer says yes. The sterile operating room environment of VAR has now stripped that joy away. I thought until yesterday I was in favour but now I'm not. Even if Brighton were one up at half time yesterday as they deserved to be in any case.

Take away the emotion and you take away the game.
It's too slow. It physically runs on a server at Stockley Park which is between Heathrow and Ashford. Geography is not it's issue.

It's operational speed would be as fast as goal line technology. It's actual speed is vastly reduced due to the link between human communication.
It's a bandwidth problem.

Scrap it as by the time all the communication has been received,the game is not on the same page - It's on a new chapter.

It could work well but the result just needs to be communicated instantly - that's how software algorithms run - not debated by a couple of cunts sitting miles away.
0 x

hd1

Post by hd1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:11 pm

VAR wasn't the issue in the Citeh v Spuds game, it was this stupid fucking new handball rule. Absolutely ridiculous
1 x

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:57 pm

garnett wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:43 am
So after changing the laws it no longer has to be defined as " intentional handball" ? Thats decision was embarrassing because it slightly glanced off the guy who knew nothing about it whatsoever.
Pepsi cola rightly pointing out the handball in VAR that wasnt given which would have seen City reach CL semi final when Lamela handed it in quarter finals.
What we should do then is get as many crosses in as we can pelting the nearest players arms.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:32 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:57 pm
garnett wrote:
So after changing the laws it no longer has to be defined as " intentional handball" ? Thats decision was embarrassing because it slightly glanced off the guy who knew nothing about it whatsoever.
Pepsi cola rightly pointing out the handball in VAR that wasnt given which would have seen City reach CL semi final when Lamela handed it in quarter finals.
What we should do then is get as many crosses in as we can pelting the nearest players arms.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That theory goes out the window when you use "we" and "crosses" in the same sentence.
0 x

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:16 pm

They are killing football with each passing season

It started with not being able to touch a keeper
0 x

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Just scrap the fucking thing altogether.
Take the rough with the smooth and be done with it, it's part and parcel of the game.
By the way we didn't really win the world cup in 66, Geoff's goal never crossed the line and we lost on penalties!
Ffs get rid!!!!!!
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Jacko1966

Post by Jacko1966 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:57 pm
garnett wrote:
Different rule for defenders though. No, seriously.
0 x

Social Media